mtbr member
    May 2006

Help installing Geax Arrojo UST tires on mavic crossmax wheel

Can you give me some advise as to the correct way to install UST tires on mavic crossmax wheels so as not to damage the tire beads or wheels. I have read reviews about how difficult these Geax tires are to install.
    Thanks, Chas

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Read both then have at it. I prefer Schwalbe Easy Fit mounting fluid to soap water.

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/t/techzone_fiche_456.php
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Glad to Be Alive
    use soapy water....almost "jelly" like dish soap and some yellow pedros plastic levers.....hopefully you have an air compressor
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks for the help.

I had already read both of those articles and have been unable to get the tires on the rim.
    They are 26" x 2.0 and the ust tires I am replacing are 26" x 2.10. I was able to put one side on the rim relatively easy, but the other side is a different story. 2 friends and I pulled and tugged as hard as we could and couuld only get the 2nd side within about 10'' to getting it completely on the rim.

I'm sure it has to do with the tire specifically as I have been able to install other tires with to much difficulty. The reviews did state that others said it was very difficult to install.

I'm not ready to give up. I just hope I don't damage the tire in the process.

Thanks again, Chas

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, geax tires are my absolute favorite now but with the Arrojor and the barros, I finally gave up and took them to my LBS where I know a lot of the guys. One of them groaned when he saw that the tires were Geax. It took two of them an hour per tire. Now they are on but how they finally got them on is beyond me. If Geax had a phone # or email, I'd contact them but searches don't give me much. Vittoria is just a marketing partner, I think. Anyway, the tires rock but are downright scary to put on. I have the Arrojos on the ASR-SL and the Barros in 2.3/2.1 on the 575 and they were all just hell to get on.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    ...Vittoria is just a marketing partner, I think...
    Geax is owned by Vittoria. Just the brand name they use for mtb tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The USPS man just delivered a set of Crosslands today along with a set of Kenda Karma tires. I read the directions and started to work. An hour later I am in the same situation with only 5" left to go on the second site. The tire lever pops out and I yelled #$#$%^%&. I was so pissed off. I put every thing down an came to this thread.

I started with soapy water and cheap plastic tire levers. After reading this thread I went to get my yellow Pedro tire levers and switched to almost all soap (Dawn dish soap). I got to the same place I was last time and this is how I got it the rest of the way:

You really need two people and 3 levers but I managed with just my self. One lever on each site. I held one with my right toes and one with my left hand holding the tire in place. I used my free hand to put soap on the spot on the rim that I was working and to work the Pedro lever. I used the lever to go under the tire close as I could the the left lever and pop the tire into place. I then moved the left lever closer in.

I finally got the tire on and with excitement pumped the tire up to 55 psi. POP!. The tire blew off the rim. I used this same method to get the tire back on in about 15 minutes. I pumped the tire to 35 psi and left it I'm going to go do the second wheel now.

Good Luck
    "On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My tires have never popped off the XM819 rims but the first time is such a pain to get them on. I have never seen such tight tires and nor has my bike shop. I just switched out the 1.95 Arrojos and replaced them with 2.25 Nobby nics. The Nics higher air volume make a the bike ride a bit higher which is nice on this rocky trail I ride but the narrower Arrojos were every bit as grippy and maybe a slight bit more at sharp lean angles. Tell us how you like them when they are all on. I ran them at around 31-33 psi. I'm tempted to put the Arrojos back on. BTW, the Barros (my favorites) are every bit as difficult to mount the first time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    In my experience - the wider the UST tire, the easier to mount.
    2.35 might take some time, but 2.5s go on/off with just bare hands.