mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Heavy duty tubes???

I'm looking for some heavy duty tubes for my 29er and would like to know which are the best?

All That is Man
    If you don't want to go tubeless, the best protection tube I've found are the True Goo tubes or the Trek/Bontrager ones with latexy stuff in them. Slime tubes don't seem to work well and feel heavy. Heavy duty tubes with the thick walls are the worst to have to pedal. They will feel heavy and sluggish. The other two I mentioned would feel much better.
    John

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got a haro Mary and everytime it sits for a few days the tires lose air so I'm trying to get either better quality tubes or more heavy duty. My main worry is puncture vines.

Did I catch a niner?
    For the cost of a few tubes you could buy a tubeless kit from Stan's and keep your old tubes as backups. I can usually here in MN last a whole season on two scoops of stans, and I have had the same rim strip for 3 years now.

For a puncture proof tube, I would get tubes with removable cores then put 2oz of stans in them. But I would go tubeless before going through all this extra work, tubeless is going to be your best best against punctures.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    http://www.amazon.com/Q-Tubes-2-4-2-.../dp/B002MVP0F0
    add Mr Pink's stans and you've got pretty much invincible tubes. They stretch into the bigger tires just fine.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by denno View Post
    I've got a haro Mary and everytime it sits for a few days the tires lose air so I'm trying to get either better quality tubes or more heavy duty. My main worry is puncture vines.
    They'll feel terribly sluggish, but here you go
    Universal Cycles -- Q Tubes 29r Thorn Resistant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    They'll feel terribly sluggish, but here you go
    Universal Cycles -- Q Tubes 29r Thorn Resistant
    What mtnbiker said.

Don't do it Denno. They will add over two lbs to your bike, and to the worst place...your wheels.

Go tubeless or buy a pump and and top off the ones you've got every coupla days.

(I put one of these in my rear tire for flat protection and I hate it).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll do some research on tubeless but from what I've heard you have to glue your tires to your rim and I don't think I'd like that. If tubeless is a pain maybe I'll just get new tubes and maybe use that Stan's stuff. Thanks for the advice and opinions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    What mtnbiker said.

Don't do it Denno. They will add over two lbs to your bike, and to the worst place...your wheels.

Go tubeless or buy a pump and and top off the ones you've got every coupla days.

(I put one of these in my rear tire for flat protection and I hate it).
    Plus 1! No, wait... PLUS 100!!!

Heavy tubes in a 29er will kill the qualities of a 29er... wheel and tire weight are everything on a 29er... in my book...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by denno View Post
    I'll do some research on tubeless but from what I've heard you have to glue your tires to your rim and I don't think I'd like that. If tubeless is a pain maybe I'll just get new tubes and maybe use that Stan's stuff. Thanks for the advice and opinions.
    No!!!

That's tubular.

Tubeless involves no glue. In short terms, you basically create a sealed rim with either tape or a strip with some rims. You pop in half the tire, add sealant, and inflate and get it to seat and hold air. No glue at all.

Uncle
    denno, when my bike loses air every few days, it's because I have a slow leak. Tubes can be patched easily enough, and won't leak nearly that fast.

Setting your wheels up for tubeless isn't that hard or messy, but the first install can take a bit of time. Check it out and see if this is for you:
    Movies - Puncture Demo
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    go tubeless or run specialized air lock

mtbr member
    I'm amazed at how well people are saying tubeless has become sorta low maintenance, but I'm having a hard time actually believing it. However, there are enough people saying they can go 3-6 months without issues and even longer, I'll give that a try. I'm at the beginning of a build for my first 29er, just ordered some Stan's wheels and I think I'm going to give it a try using the sealant formula here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/be...ew-406115.html

I'm not expecting much, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
    I'm amazed at how well people are saying tubeless has become sorta low maintenance, but I'm having a hard time actually believing it. However, there are enough people saying they can go 3-6 months without issues and even longer, I'll give that a try. I'm at the beginning of a build for my first 29er, just ordered some Stan's wheels and I think I'm going to give it a try using the sealant formula here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/be...ew-406115.html

I'm not expecting much, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
    Make it easy by:
    1) Buy the sealant injector. This way you can get your tire beads completely seated before adding any goop.

2) Set up the tape & stem slowly, deliberately. Don't skip any steps.

3) If you're not using a compressor to mount your tires, be prepared to wrestle with it for a while. FTR: I've replaced 7 tires so far on my workstand without a compressor. It's not as easy as with a compressor, but it's possible.

4) Use a paint brush to apply a coat of the sealant to the tire bead before mounting the tire.

Once the tires are on, you'll only need to add sealant through the valve stem. As long as you don't dislodge the bead, it's gravy until you decide to swap a tire out.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Make it easy by:
    1) Buy the sealant injector. This way you can get your tire beads completely seated before adding any goop.

2) Set up the tape & stem slowly, deliberately. Don't skip any steps.

3) If you're not using a compressor to mount your tires, be prepared to wrestle with it for a while. FTR: I've replaced 7 tires so far on my workstand without a compressor. It's not as easy as with a compressor, but it's possible.

4) Use a paint brush to apply a coat of the sealant to the tire bead before mounting the tire.

Once the tires are on, you'll only need to add sealant through the valve stem. As long as you don't dislodge the bead, it's gravy until you decide to swap a tire out.
    Thank you for the advice, that actually helps greatly! I don't have a compressor, but I know a auto shop where I can use one. Injector ordered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    After watching the Stan's strip of death on YouTube I think I'll be saving up and going tubeless.