KevinK
    Jul 2005

Has anyone ridden on the new DT Swiss XM 1550 Tricon wheels?

I know there are new, but, am really interested on how they perform. I'm taking a leap of faith that the hubs will be up to the high quality of the 240s hubs. The width of the tire is perfect for my kind of riding, just worry about the Seal of the UST and strength of the wheel.

Your comments are appreciated. Please feel free to compare them other wheelsets.

I was also thinking about the Crank Brothers Cobalt wheels, and the Mavic SLR wheels. I've heard mixed reviews w/ the Cobalt wheels, and good reviews of the SLR's, but the width of the SLR's is what is keeping me from making the purchase. This XM 1550 looks perfect.

Thanks,

Kevin

Tribe of one
    Anyone out there riding on the Tricon 1550 yet?

Looking for user feedback on construction, handling, and set up(ust tires, non ust, tubed). Also thoughts on how they will hold up over the long haul.

Thanks

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Actually, just received them. My bike is still being build, missing one component, but they are ready to go. See link for true weights:
    Weights of some components for my next Build...

Just from handling them, they are very stiff, solid, and look awesome. Can't wait to try them on some rocky sections of the trail. I have the 15TA option up front. Rear is a 135mm x 10mm. I will post another update as soon as I get a few rides in.

Kevin

wheelie king
    Hey KevinK,

Do you have a ride report yet? How about some pics? Thanks.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee
    Hey KevinK,

Do you have a ride report yet? How about some pics? Thanks.
    Not Yet!!!
    LBS was waiting for one part. They are getting it at the end of this week, so, maybe next weekend of the weekend after. The Mechanic who works on Pro bikes, and who is building my bike, said, the wheels spin amazing. He was surprised how little/no resistance the wheels had when spinning. Probably because the spokes are connected to a flange, which keep all the pressure off of the actually hub assembly. He also said, they look Ultra Stiff and strong. Coming from a guy who only works on pro bikes, that made me feel pretty good.

As soon as I get my first ride in, I will post some impressions.

wheelie king
    Wow. They look great! Looking forward to the ride report.

mtbr member
    KevinK - any update on how you like the wheels?

KevinK
    Jul 2005

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by BurntHelmet
    KevinK - any update on how you like the wheels?
    I've been riding them for a few months now, and have to say, they are one of the stiffest wheels, in that weight range, however, dirt accumulates around the eyelets, and can be a pain to clean at times. I've since let them remain dirty!!! The white paint on the spokes have worn off a bit, and the stickers on the rim really suck. They started to come off the first month. Hubs are still fast and smooth, engagement is not the fastest, but faster than most hubs out there. I have a 2.2 Cont RK UST on the front, and realize, it's to skinny. I'm waiting to wear these out so I can put some Cont MK 2.4 UST on the front. Using WTB Wolverine 2.2 TCS tire, grips fantastic, and is light, compared to an equivalent tire. I had Cont RK 2.2 UST on the rear, but they only lasted four/five rides before I received a nice side gash!!! So far, the rims are holding up quite well.

I still wonder how the Fulcrum Red Metal Zero wheels compare to the DT Swiss Tricons. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Fulcrum hubs have a faster engagement system, and a more efficient tubeless system. They do weigh a few grams more, but, I wonder if they are as stiff, if not stiffer than the Tricons.

Have a great ride,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK
    I've been riding them for a few months now, and have to say, they are one of the stiffest wheels, in that weight range, however, dirt accumulates around the eyelets, and can be a pain to clean at times. I've since let them remain dirty!!! The white paint on the spokes have worn off a bit, and the stickers on the rim really suck. They started to come off the first month. Hubs are still fast and smooth, engagement is not the fastest, but faster than most hubs out there. I have a 2.2 Cont RK UST on the front, and realize, it's to skinny. I'm waiting to wear these out so I can put some Cont MK 2.4 UST on the front. Using WTB Wolverine 2.2 TCS tire, grips fantastic, and is light, compared to an equivalent tire. I had Cont RK 2.2 UST on the rear, but they only lasted four/five rides before I received a nice side gash!!! So far, the rims are holding up quite well.

I still wonder how the Fulcrum Red Metal Zero wheels compare to the DT Swiss Tricons. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Fulcrum hubs have a faster engagement system, and a more efficient tubeless system. They do weigh a few grams more, but, I wonder if they are as stiff, if not stiffer than the Tricons.

Have a great ride,

Kevin

how well will they hold up to a 210 pound guy that rides all mountain.....

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    how well will they hold up to a 210 pound guy that rides all mountain.....
    The Tricon wheels recommended max weight is 220 lbs, so I may look for something stronger. The Fulcrum Red Metal Zero's are great for 2011, but don't list a max weight limit. Also, a narrow rim is the Mavic SLR wheels, also, no weight limit stated.

If I were looking for the strongest/ lightest wheel out there that can handle 210 lbs, I may investigate the Fulcrum Red Metal Zero's.