Hack Racer

Has anyone ever used Acros Hubs?

Some of guys over at one of the European weight weenie forums mentioned Acros is the German Chris King in terms of hubs and headsets. Has anyone had any experience with them? I originally posted this over at MTBR's weight weenie forum, but was hoping someone here who doesn't frequent that side of the world would have some knowledge of these hubs. The user's manual says rear hub has 5 pawls with 30 points of engagement

Front Hub Disc: 103g w/ Ceramics
    Rear Hub Disc: 208 g w/ Ceramics

and if you don't believe in Ceramics (I'm not convinced they are better except for being lighter), there exists non ceramic models:

Front Hub Disc: 113g w/ Ceramics
    Rear Hub Disc: 214 g w/ Ceramics

Are the claimed weights accurate? Hubs reliable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My acros headset is very nice! it is on it's second frame so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just wanted to reactivate this thread since I'm considering these for my new race hardtail. Anyone any experience with these?

Hack Racer
    I couldn't get any when I was in the market. I got Tune King, Kong hubs instead.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i cant say anything about the hubs but i owned a acros eryx fork which was very good.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    I couldn't get any when I was in the market. I got Tune King, Kong hubs instead.
    BTI (big wholesale distributor to shops) is importing them now, they got them in stock recently but I haven't tried them yet. Have heard very very good things about all of their stuff though.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Hack Racer
    BTI didn't have any instock back in Nov, Dec 2008, and none in Jan. I also managed to get a pair of Tune King / Kongs on closeout so I went with those.

BTI also does not stock the high end .54 hubs. The ceramics or the ultimate editions.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Saw this and went looking, went to the BTI site, and IF BTI is accurate...

* Superlight hubs designed for Cross Country use

* Front hub uses a 17mm axle for added strength and weight reduction and stainless angular contact bearings for added durability

* Rear hub includes a triple sealed hub body, 30 points of pawl engagement, a 17mm axle, the 5x5 system (5 individually sprung 5mm wide pawls), 3 stainless angular contact bearings and 1 needle bearing (freehub)

* .54 denotes: 5mm wide pawls with 4 bearings in the rear hub

* International Standard 6-bolt disc rotor mount (skewers/axles not included)

* Hand built in Renningen, Germany. 148g/255g

If they're the claimed 148g, other than having nice purty colors... the WTB and AM Classic's still are better for weight, and should be a bunch cheaper too. The few places I saw the 5.4's were pretty pricey.

Now if they come in at the weights mentioned in the thread...

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    If they're the claimed 148g, other than having nice purty colors... the WTB ... still are better for weight,
    WTB LaserDisc Lites weigh 145 + 265g, so basically the same. AM Classics, don't know, I have heard of too many people having touble with them. And I think they really get more expensive now (though I haven't checked personally)

All I know is that Acros' products are generally really good with a high level of thought behind them.