Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,218

    Hans dampf tire mod? Knob removal

    Lately I've been seeing photos of the Hans Dampf being used by pros with some knobs removed. I've seen this done by Gaint team riders, Lars Stienberg and a few other riders. They all claim reduced weight, faster rolling with out any loss in traction. Some even claimed better corner traction.
    Curious if anyone has tried this and their thoughts on it?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,641
    I hated the HD's because of those transition knobs so that looks really promising to me. For anyone that really rails corners by laying their bikes way over, you will get much better bite without them thus the popularity of Minion DHF's for us DH'rs. Transition knobs are for weekend warriors if you ask me.

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  3. #3
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,091
    The open side knob will probably let the knobs penetrate soft ground better and might be better for deep leaners as well.

    I'd imagine this would be less great in hardpack type conditions. I'd like to hear any experiences as well.

    I wonder about cutting the knobs down to a lower height for a rear tire (I have a lot of hard terrain here)


    P

  4. #4
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I hated the HD's because of those transition knobs so that looks really promising to me. For anyone that really rails corners by laying their bikes way over, you will get much better bite without them thus the popularity of Minion DHF's for us DH'rs. Transition knobs are for weekend warriors if you ask me.

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    You'll need to ask last weekend's warriors in Fort William. A huge number of them were running Schwalbe's new Magic Mary. Almost all transition knobs.

    P

    Hans dampf tire mod? Knob removal-p4pb9686913.jpg

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,641
    Not really - looks like deep tranny knobs every fourth which would still allow the side knobs to corner well plus the side knobs are taller - MM's (both magic and muddy) have a very squarish profile when run at normal DH pressures (15-20 psi). Great find tho!

    Have FUN!

    G MAN

    PS - The one thing that would concern me about modding a HD is that the side knobs aren't that stiff like the MM's are so I would probably avoid doing it with their softer compounds for hardpack but I'd do it for sure with Pacestar or Performance compounds.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  6. #6
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    PS - The one thing that would concern me about modding a HD is that the side knobs aren't that stiff like the MM's are so I would probably avoid doing it with their softer compounds for hardpack but I'd do it for sure with Pacestar or Performance compounds.
    I was thinking the same thing.

    P

  7. #7
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    I have cut my Trailstar HD's to remove the 4 transition knob group.
    Gives it a nice channel.
    The tire does not want to skate like it used to, it now bites very well.
    Side knobs are a limitation, as they are a bit small and unsupported.
    You can really rail the tires, but you have to be smooth, you can not just toss them into a corner as the side knobs won't bite and hold properly.
    If you roll them into a corner they will grip and hold surprisingly well.
    They are still my trail tire of choice at the moment.

    The SG version is interesting - wonder if they beefed up the side knobs at all - anybody seen the new version and can comment?

    michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

    Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

  8. #8
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    PS - The one thing that would concern me about modding a HD is that the side knobs aren't that stiff like the MM's are so I would probably avoid doing it with their softer compounds for hardpack but I'd do it for sure with Pacestar or Performance compounds.
    Agreed, even without the knob modding I have been peeling the side knobs off the Trail star compound, makes me a sad panda with this being such a expensive tire.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    483
    Saw this thread last week and decided to give it a shot. I like the HDs but during hard cornering it gets squirmy and just lets go. After doing the mod and cutting off the transition knobs, it feels so much better laying it on the corners and it just bites more now.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    The SG version is interesting - wonder if they beefed up the side knobs at all - anybody seen the new version and can comment?
    michael
    The SG version feels like a totally different tyre! The extra stiffness in the sidewall helps the tyre hold its shape much better, so the tread stays more square, and thus you get much better bite out of the side knobs...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by horsey24 View Post
    The SG version feels like a totally different tyre! The extra stiffness in the sidewall helps the tyre hold its shape much better, so the tread stays more square, and thus you get much better bite out of the side knobs...
    Exactly, that tire is evolving nicely but, at that cost, you are definitely funding Schwalbe's R&D! However, with the added sidewall support comes more weight (995g). At that point, I'd far prefer the Magic Mary (same weight) for railing corners. Their engineers state the same: Hans Dampf is similarly versatile. "Although not quite so extreme. It is generally more docile as regards handling and is suitable above all for all-mountain riding," clarified Michael Kull.
    Magic Mary, the successor to the popular Muddy Mary, has an intermediate profile specifically designed for competitions, with chunky shoulder knobs for increased braking traction and cornering grip, even in soft, muddy terrain. Kull: "Magic Mary is the best choice for about 80 per cent of all routes, thats how versatile it is in its applications. These range from Enduro tours to bike-park riding and the Downhill World Cup."

    Have FUN!

    G MAN

    PS - I plan to run Magic front, Betty rear but need to wait for 650b versions, c'mon Schwalbe!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    418
    Or you could just get a real cornering tire like a Minion...

    I'm with Gman, here, as I don't get the HD lovefest either. A good WW type of tire for people who don't (or can't because of the trail) really lean their bikes that much and ride at generally slower speeds. Same deal with the Ardent.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    78
    Check out this blog post on a Hans Dampf Custom Cut.

    Seeing as Schwalbe is so anti-ramped knobs, it makes sense to cut the center ones at an angle for reduced rolling resistance.

  14. #14
    OMZ
    OMZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Not really - looks like deep tranny knobs every fourth which would still allow the side knobs to corner well plus the side knobs are taller - MM's (both magic and muddy) have a very squarish profile when run at normal DH pressures (15-20 psi). Great find tho!

    Have FUN!

    G MAN

    PS - The one thing that would concern me about modding a HD is that the side knobs aren't that stiff like the MM's are so I would probably avoid doing it with their softer compounds for hardpack but I'd do it for sure with Pacestar or Performance compounds.
    15-20 psi is not "normal dh pressure." I would say 25-40 psi would be more like it.

    Here's a bike check with EC from a year or so ago and he talks about running 60 psi on certain courses.
    Bike Check: Eric Carter's GT Fury - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

    Most pros would roll tires with 15 psi off their rims left and right, all day long.

Similar Threads

  1. Who's ran the Hans Dampf Performance Tire
    By jasondbikes in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 05:27 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
  4. Hans Dampf Removal
    By Salespunk in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 09:59 AM
  5. New Hans Dampf tire.
    By ProjectDan35 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •