Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    XR4 - x2... Light, huge volume, tough, fast, meaty and nicely supported side knobs.

In fact, I just bought a 650b XR4 TLR Team Issue to have sitting on the shelf when my HD 2.35 Trailstar kicks the bucket. (This HD is not going to make it a full season... even on the front).

I, too, live on the FR and ride a bike very similar to your Bronson. I, too, am disappointed with the soft, unsupported side knobs. I cam off an XR4 for the HD and am happy to go back to the XR4 for the front.
    That's good to hear. I feels its an awesome rear but not sure I'd like it up front?? Hmmm....may be worth considering.

As an update, I did put the HR2 back on front in place of the HD and it performs better in all categories except weight and rolling resistance. The HR2 not far off on the rolling but is noticeably slower than the HD and about 120g heavier than the HD (2.4HR2 3C max terra vs. 2.35 Trailstar HD).

Thinking about trying the Butcher Control up front to shed a little weight but keep the cornering confidence of the HR2, any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I gave up on my HR2 up front.

I think its the terrain here (hardpack and loose over hardpack)... Just nothing to dig into. Although my HD worked well.

beater

Hans Damf Review. Clear cut. Least favorite tire.

I still think that you should buy a pair of Chunky Monkeys. The DHF is a great tire, but if you are liked the transition knobs of the HDs, you may not like the DHF.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I still think that you should buy a pair of Chunky Monkeys. The DHF is a great tire, but if you are liked the transition knobs of the HDs, you may not like the DHF.
    I have a DHF still in the packaging. I hope I like it. Haven't been totally happy with any tire I've tried up front.

Purgatory, butcher, hr2, Hans dampf

only didnt like the HD because of durability

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagtech360 View Post
    That's good to hear. I feels its an awesome rear but not sure I'd like it up front?? Hmmm....may be worth considering.

As an update, I did put the HR2 back on front in place of the HD and it performs better in all categories except weight and rolling resistance. The HR2 not far off on the rolling but is noticeably slower than the HD and about 120g heavier than the HD (2.4HR2 3C max terra vs. 2.35 Trailstar HD).

Thinking about trying the Butcher Control up front to shed a little weight but keep the cornering confidence of the HR2, any thoughts?
    This. Went from HD performance (super sticky, heavy and showing wear after 3 rides) to Ardent (lighter, fast as hell, lack of transition knobs and cornering ability aren't cutting it for me).... to Butcher control on order right now. I'm hoping its a great compromise.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    This. Went from HD performance (super sticky, heavy and showing wear after 3 rides) to Ardent (lighter, fast as hell, lack of transition knobs and cornering ability aren't cutting it for me).... to Butcher control on order right now. I'm hoping its a great compromise.
    Let us know! I'm thinking of ordering the GRID version, extra protection for only 50 more grams (780g)

mtbr member
    If you're a "drift to grip" type of rider, you may not like the XR4 as it has transition knobs, like the HD. But the side knobs are better supported and the center knobs are ramped for a little better roll.

I was very impressed with my XR4 in all of the various conditions CO has to offer (Front Range, Fruita/GJ, Crested Butte and Monarch Crest).
    '14 Remedy 9 - Pike, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon
    '14 Jet9 RDO - Reverb, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon

mtbr member
    Let us know! I'm thinking of ordering the GRID version, extra protection for only 50 more grams (780g)
    But then you miss the dual compound. I went thru the same decision and ended up going control front. Hasn't let me down yeeeeet
    friends don't let friends Fred

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    But then you miss the dual compound. I went thru the same decision and ended up going control front. Hasn't let me down yeeeeet
    So the "control" is dual compound and the "GRID" single? Doesn't specify on the website. In fact the only differences look like the GRID is more of a UST and the control TR.

From the website:
    Control Casing: 420/D1 for 15% improved cut resistance
    •Bead: foldable
    •Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
    •Compound: 50a
    •26" x 2.3; psi 35-65; approximate weight 730g
    •650b x 2.3; psi 35-65; approximate weight 755g
    •29" x 2.3; psi 35-65; approximate weight 810g

GRID Casing: Additional sidewall protection for exceptional durability and sidewall stiffness for stability. 23% improved cut resistance over Control model
    •Bead: foldable
    •Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
    •Compound: 50a
    •26" x 2.3; psi 35-65; approximate weight 780g
    •29" x 2.3; psi 35-65; approximate weight 860g

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    What you guys are saying about transition knobs is spot on. I used a Bronson with Hans Damf in Seattle, in the rain for hours and hours. The owner had cut off all the transition knobs! All of them! I think that is why I liked that tire, on his bike, in the mud. Soft tacky tread (quick to wear out ), defined center knobs and side knobs. I would never waste the time to cut 200(?) Knobs, but that guy had that Hans Damf dialed for wet, icy conditions. Similar tackiness to my 2.4 nobby Nic in the adhesion department, but they wear too fast, get knobs ripped off. Really only great for wet or big spenders.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I guess it needs saying again. Don't get the Trailstar version of this tire - get the Pacestar.

I think my HD Pacestar is over a year old and is still going strong. I ride quite a bit of rock. Longest lasting tire I've owned.

Strangely, I destroyed a Nobby Nic Pacestar in 3 months.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Did you see it? Yeeeeeet. Like falling off a cliff. Funny.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I guess it needs saying again. Don't get the Trailstar version of this tire - get the Pacestar.
    Don't agree with you there. The softer Trailstar really helps on wet rocks + roots. Liked it a lot for slow, techy stuff where you can't lean the bike over.

Would never use any Schwalbe Trailstar tire on the rear wheel though. Thats for sponsored racers who can replace their tires every week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Magic Mary 29 is out now. Anyone use this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    The Magic Mary 29 is out now. Anyone use this?
    I've a Magic Mary on order.

I've also suffered from knob tearing issues on a HD trailstar, I was happy with it otherwise. I'm an advanced intermediate rider, I lean the bike when I can, but there are a LOT of trees close the trail in some of the areas I ride...which makes it impossible to really lean the bike

What do you guys think of the Continental Trail King for loose (decomposed granite / sand / small kitty litter) over hardpack?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post

What do you guys think of the Continental Trail King for loose (decomposed granite / sand / small kitty litter) over hardpack?

Thanks!
    TK excels in those conditions. If the Magic is as good or better than the Muddy Mary, it should be wicked good too!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Can someone recommend a tire similar in size to 650b Racing Ralph 2.25?
    It needs to fit my SC TRc frame preferably without needing to limit the rear travel.
    I am looking for more Trail/AM tire.
    I have a Hans in the front for now.
    Riding in SoCal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    TK excels in those conditions. If the Magic is as good or better than the Muddy Mary, it should be wicked good too!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Thanks G MAN. Much appreciated. I'm really looking forward to trying the Magic(!). I should have it next week...

Have you tried the DHR II (2.3 MaxTerra) as a front tyre? From what I've read it has less knob squirm than the DHR when used on hard surfaces.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    To each is own !! CLEAR CUT one of my favorite tires , and have the Performance (ORC) version to boot !!
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Have you tried the DHR II (2.3 MaxTerra) as a front tyre? From what I've read it has less knob squirm than the DHR when used on hard surfaces.

Cheers.
    I have not tried a DHR2. I'm fairly certain it's not as good up front as a DHF because of the more horizontal nobs for gripping/uphill traction which is why it's more rear specific. I'm not really interested in trying it as a rear tire either because it has the same aggro side nobs at the DHF and I like to drift certain corners in tight/fast situations. The High Roller 2 is perfect for that - just enough grip when I need it with good braking control. A lot of riders have said the DHR2 rolls faster tho which I find hard to believe but I am running the single 60a compound HR2 which is a lot faster than the 3C compound so...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2