mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Halo Supa Drive mini review...

Mini because I have only a few rides on the hub. Didn't get off to a great start. There was an occasional pop almost like the hub was going to skip evey now and then. Emailed Halo and it turns out the hubs were originally tested w/ heavy pawl / wedge springs but for some reason they shipped their hubs w/ light springs. They sent free HD springs from the UK. Dissassmbly required 2 5mm allen wrenches - installation super easy. Up and running and the occasional pop is gone. Less noise than my King but under speed it has a fast tick that wallows from high to low like some Kings. It is a wedge design so that 120 POE feels like half that amount. It is a hub and moves my bike down the trail. Durability will take some time to review. It's not a King but it costs less than half.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Can you offer anymore input on this hub? in particular the engagement. Are you implying that the wedge design is slower to engage compared to CK?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How long did it take to get the new springs? Do these hubs have cartridge bearings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I know the hub has 4 sealed bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pwork
    How long did it take to get the new springs? Do these hubs have cartridge bearings?
    Halo's CS was top notch - less than a weeks time from the UK to US via Royal mail.

Can you offer anymore input on this hub? in particular the engagement. Are you implying that the wedge design is slower to engage compared to CK?

There are 120 EP but the floating wedges have some area to move before they engage / wedge the drive ring. I don't know how many degrees of rotation but it feels like the 120 is cut in half. I went straight from a King to the Halo and EP has not been an issue. If money wasn't an issue i'd probably go King for the Funn bolt option. +'s on the Halo - super easy maintenance especially compared to a King, no seal drag again compared to a King, price.

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    Thought I'd add a data point. My Supadrive hub failed today, with maybe half a dozen rides on it. Looking inside, there is a small amount of wear on the pawl teeth, but I suspect the springs may be the culprit--the pawl/wedges really don't seem to have much tension holding them up the ramps.

I've fired off an email to Halo/Ison, so we'll see how it turns out.

Jul 2005
    More info about my Supadrive failure. After taking another look it really sounded like the pawls were engaging, and the very slight visible wear didn't seem like a likely culprit. Indeed, it turns out that the pawls are engaging just fine, but the toothed ring in the hub is turning inside the shell. So, now I'm baffled. As far as I can tell, that part looks like a press fit, so there doesn't appear to be much I can do about it (well, JB Weld, maybe).

I'll see what Halo/Ison say, but at this point I'm not too hopeful about salvaging this.

not so super...
    My 6 drive sounds like it might be dying again as well. It is starting the popping and slight skip just like it had done previously. Halo/Ison was superfast at getting replacement parts out to me the 1st time it failed.

I'll likely spend the $$ to get a Hadley or I9 to replace it.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just built up a wheel with one of the Supa Drive hubs so I only have 2 hours on it so far. I did experience one "pop" on a climb, but it was fine after that. As far as the drive ring slipping in the hub shell goes - I've done that to a Ringle hub before. Basically the drive ring threads into the hubshell and I stripped the threads out of the shell. I hope i don't have the same problem with this hub. I haven't converted the wheel tubeless yet, in case I need to tear it down.

Jul 2005
    Just wanted to be fair to Halo and provide the outcome to my situation mentioned above.

I sent the failed Supa Drive hub to the US distributor (I had originally gotten it from the UK, but Halo arranged for BTI to handle the replacement). They confirmed that it was the drive ring turning inside the shell (stripped shell), said it was the first and only instance of that they've seen, and promptly sent a replacement. All in all, I felt like Halo/BTI took care of me and stood by the product.

mtbr member

Considering this Hub

Any more updates or problems, or is it all going smooth...
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've put a few more miles on mine now, including running it as a single speed with a Gussett spacer kit and a Niner Cog. It's been working fine with no popping or other problems. It's been pretty wet lately, so i haven't hit the trails too much.

Jul 2005
    I've put a few rides on my replacement hub now and have been happy with it. Engagement seems as quick as I am capable of discerning (none of that hunting for traction feeling I get from the old Shimano XT hubs I've been using for years). The sound is pretty noticeable--not dissimilar from King, though perhaps a bit quieter, a bit higher pitched. Loud enough that a couple of folks I ride with have asked about it, but not at all unpleasant.

Durability remains to be seen, but I've already shared my anecdote in that arena. If nothing else, I've confirmed that the company stands behind the product and has a decent support network in place. For something like this hub, which is unlikely to ever sell in the sort of quantities to make user experience reports statistically useful, I think that's the most compelling bit of information.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    I just built up a wheel with one of the Supa Drive hubs so I only have 2 hours on it so far. I did experience one "pop" on a climb, but it was fine after that. As far as the drive ring slipping in the hub shell goes - I've done that to a Ringle hub before. Basically the drive ring threads into the hubshell and I stripped the threads out of the shell. I hope i don't have the same problem with this hub. I haven't converted the wheel tubeless yet, in case I need to tear it down.
    I had the dreaded drive ring slip in a race today. It looks like I'll try contacting Halo tomorrow to get things squared away. I'm not sure I want a replacement at this point, but we'll see what they say.

mtbr member
    Hi.
    How your hub is going ?
    had you needed to change whole hub? (problem with thread - drive ring slip) or just only internals ?

I'm thinking about Chosen hub, I guess that Halo and Trizoid dh are rebranded Chosen hubs.

Jul 2005
    The replacement hub is still going strong. Stripped threads on the shell meant the whole hub had to be swapped out, but no problems since then.

smartass
    Just to add my experience, I've been riding my Supa Drive for a year and a half with absolutely no issues. It was cheap, light, has good engagement and sounds great. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I sold my replacement hub and rebuilt the wheel with a Chris King that has worked well. I seem to remember them not recommending the hub for single speed use. If you are the sit and spin type, the hub should be good.