29 some of the time...

Halo Freedom Disc 29er

Just got these wheels in

Initial impressions:
    They look sweet
    The QR and stud adapters to the front hub are well thought out
    20mm adapters don't look to be thought out well and fall off when the wheel is not in the forks
    Machining and build quality look good
    Price was good

I will post back with results once I can get some miles on them.

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/free...29-wheels.html
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

29 some of the time...
    Ride impression:
    Stiff, good engagement, freehub makes noise but not too obnoxious, no windup when you hammer on them. Overall I would say that they ride very similar to my 26in wheels using 2.0 spokes and mavic xm321/ex721 rims. That is good and was what I was hoping for when I sought out the Halo rims in the first place. Time will tell on durability, but so far so good.

No, that's not phonetic
    They look pretty nice, but are also pretty porky. How did you decide on those? The axle options are a bonus. Too bad about the 20mm stuff.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

29 some of the time...
    Long and short of it...
    I have a set of 36h Saint hubs to lace up, so I went looking for a robust but not Kris Holm insane rim. SpeedhubNate had positive things to say on these, the weight, company background, and rim profile all lead me to them. So I ordered up a set of rims. There was a mix up and I received 32h rims. Chad at Red Barn bent over backwards since the 36h rims weren't in stock and made me a sweet deal on the complete 32h wheelset.

At 230lb I prefer to think of the wheelset as proportional I was actually surprised that the combo of heavier wheels, bigger tires, and a FS frame didn't feel too portly to pedal. I have been riding my hardtail with 450g rims and 650g tires for the last 6 months and really expected this wheelset to feel sluggish. The increase in stiffness seems to offset the additional weight