Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: Hadley Bearings

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102

    Hadley Bearings

    I have heard some people mention that Enduro Zero bearings are a much better quality bearing than those that come stock on the Hadley Hubs. What is the life expectancy on these bearings and what makes them so much better?

  2. #2
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    No real difference, besides your wallet getting lighter buying Enduro bearings.

    Hadley uses external seals, thus the seals that Enduro claims to be superior, has no impact, even if they were so fantastic.

    Buy good quality industrial bearings, from brands like INA, SKF, F-A-G, NSK, Nachi, and the like.

    Magura
    Last edited by Mr.Magura; 11-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    925
    The original bearings in my Hadley hubs were Enduro bearings with seals on both sides. I was surprised as I thought there would only be a seal on one side. After a crazy wet ride, they were a bit crunchy. I looked for a set of replacement bearings and thought about picking up the Zero ceramic bearings. I called Hadley and asked about them and they recommended sticking with the regular bearings. Seems their experience with them was not-so-great. Folks were having more problems with ceramics then regular bearings, likely due to lack of maintenance. Therefore, I stuck with the regular bearings (Enduro bearings) and ordered a set through Hadley.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    The original bearings in my Hadley hubs were Enduro bearings with seals on both sides. I was surprised as I thought there would only be a seal on one side. After a crazy wet ride, they were a bit crunchy. I looked for a set of replacement bearings and thought about picking up the Zero ceramic bearings. I called Hadley and asked about them and they recommended sticking with the regular bearings. Seems their experience with them was not-so-great. Folks were having more problems with ceramics then regular bearings, likely due to lack of maintenance. Therefore, I stuck with the regular bearings (Enduro bearings) and ordered a set through Hadley.
    How long had you had the bearings before you had to replace them? Also, how long have you been using your current set? I am a bit weary to purchase the Hadley hub because I don't feel like they should be effected by weather so easily.

  5. #5
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by dumanichi View Post
    How long had you had the bearings before you had to replace them? Also, how long have you been using your current set? I am a bit weary to purchase the Hadley hub because I don't feel like they should be effected by weather so easily.

    The sealing on Hadley hubs, is based on real industrial seals. Those seals will last pretty much forever for a bike hub, if maintained just reasonably.

    So what wheatgerm just told you, is that he didn't maintain his hubs, blew a seal, and got dirt inside the hub shell, past the outer seal and the bearing shield.

    That has nothing to do with the hubs, but a lot to do with a failed maintenance schedule.

    Most other hubs rely on the seals of the bearings, Hadley hubs has an additional seal, that is an order of magnitude more effective than the bearing seals.

    I'm in no way trying to sway you towards buying Hadley or any other brand for that kind of matter here, but simply making sure that wrong information is not left unchallenged.


    Magura

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    The sealing on Hadley hubs, is based on real industrial seals. Those seals will last pretty much forever for a bike hub, if maintained just reasonably.

    So what wheatgerm just told you, is that he didn't maintain his hubs, blew a seal, and got dirt inside the hub shell, past the outer seal and the bearing shield.

    That has nothing to do with the hubs, but a lot to do with a failed maintenance schedule.

    Most other hubs rely on the seals of the bearings, Hadley hubs has an additional seal, that is an order of magnitude more effective than the bearing seals.

    I'm in no way trying to sway you towards buying Hadley or any other brand for that kind of matter here, but simply making sure that wrong information is not left unchallenged.


    Magura
    Could you explain how lack of maintenance would blow the seals. I don't understand completely. What would need to be done to prevent the seal from blowing?

  7. #7
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by dumanichi View Post
    Could you explain how lack of maintenance would blow the seals. I don't understand completely. What would need to be done to prevent the seal from blowing?
    Cleaning and lubrication.

    If a seal is kept clean and lubricated, it will last for years.

    If dry and/or dirty, it will go south pretty quick.


    Magura

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    The sealing on Hadley hubs, is based on real industrial seals. Those seals will last pretty much forever for a bike hub, if maintained just reasonably.

    So what wheatgerm just told you, is that he didn't maintain his hubs, blew a seal, and got dirt inside the hub shell, past the outer seal and the bearing shield.

    That has nothing to do with the hubs, but a lot to do with a failed maintenance schedule.

    Most other hubs rely on the seals of the bearings, Hadley hubs has an additional seal, that is an order of magnitude more effective than the bearing seals.

    I'm in no way trying to sway you towards buying Hadley or any other brand for that kind of matter here, but simply making sure that wrong information is not left unchallenged.


    Magura
    Where did I say I don't maintain my hubs? No, I do maintain my hubs and the seal was not blown. Problem was a 5+ hour CRAZY wet ride plus 3 hour ride back home with bike on hitch rack in driving rain. Tons of rain that day. Other bikes also had issues. Freak conditions. The lack of maintenance part of my post was based on the conversation with Hadley w.r.t the performance of ceramic bearings.

  9. #9
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    716
    my hadleys spin FOREVER

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by dumanichi View Post
    How long had you had the bearings before you had to replace them? Also, how long have you been using your current set? I am a bit weary to purchase the Hadley hub because I don't feel like they should be effected by weather so easily.
    I ordered the replacement bearings prior to inspecting them, figuring they were toast. I was leaving for vacation soon and wanted to have the bearings in hand just in case. They actually weren't. I replaced them then clean and regreased the old ones, which are now spares. The bearings were cheap so no big deal.

    That was over 2 years ago. They've been butter smooth since. They were butter smooth before that as well (over a year). I crack the hubs open a few times per year and regrease and relube everything. The internals are always quite clean. Only after the monsoon ride were things a mess. Other "normal" wet rides have been fine.

    Didn't mean to imply that the bearings and hubs are junk. Just some background on why I called Hadley and their thoughts on the ceramics. Save your money and stick with the regular bearings.

  11. #11
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    716
    dumanichi you've been asking a lot of hadley questions, just get the 72pt hubs and be happy. they are the best thing i did for my bike

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    dumanichi you've been asking a lot of hadley questions, just get the 72pt hubs and be happy. they are the best thing i did for my bike
    I have asked a lot of questions because until recently, I knew nothing about hubs and this will be the most I've spent on hubs. All of my questions have been answered for the most part. I have never had a problem with seals on my cheaper hubs but then again I don't do an excessive amount of riding in the rain. My guess is riding for excessive amounts of time on any hubs in wet conditions will produce similar results.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    I ordered the replacement bearings prior to inspecting them, figuring they were toast. I was leaving for vacation soon and wanted to have the bearings in hand just in case. They actually weren't. I replaced them then clean and regreased the old ones, which are now spares. The bearings were cheap so no big deal.

    That was over 2 years ago. They've been butter smooth since. They were butter smooth before that as well (over a year). I crack the hubs open a few times per year and regrease and relube everything. The internals are always quite clean. Only after the monsoon ride were things a mess. Other "normal" wet rides have been fine.

    Didn't mean to imply that the bearings and hubs are junk. Just some background on why I called Hadley and their thoughts on the ceramics. Save your money and stick with the regular bearings.
    I understood what your were implying, I just wanted to get a different perspective. The Hadley Hubs seem like a quality product. What POE do you have? It sounds like you are into racing. I'm not into racing but more of an XC trail rider. Did you purchase tools from Hadley or do you just improvise when you take the hub apart to service it?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nickz5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    I improvised but eventually got a pair of pin pliers from Repco . Bearing change is easy, as is servicing.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    925
    My hubs are 72 POE. I don't race but like quality components. The Hadleys are keepers. Like Dan said, they spin forever. The roll faster than the Hope hubs I had before (sold with another bike).

    I purchased the pin cone wrench and 4-pin wrench only. I have since started using a Park 21-mm wrench because it is thinner and will clear the disk rotor bolts, which the Hadley tool will not. I am also using the Park tool pin spanner for the preload caps, which I adjusted once. Get the 4-pin tool and the Park pin spanner and 21 mm cone wrench. That's all I have needed.

    You may want to consider the rear bolt on axle kit as well if you're running a quick release rear. Nice upgrade.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    My hubs are 72 POE. I don't race but like quality components. The Hadleys are keepers. Like Dan said, they spin forever. The roll faster than the Hope hubs I had before (sold with another bike).

    I purchased the pin cone wrench and 4-pin wrench only. I have since started using a Park 21-mm wrench because it is thinner and will clear the disk rotor bolts, which the Hadley tool will not. I am also using the Park tool pin spanner for the preload caps, which I adjusted once. Get the 4-pin tool and the Park pin spanner and 21 mm cone wrench. That's all I have needed.

    You may want to consider the rear bolt on axle kit as well if you're running a quick release rear. Nice upgrade.
    I am going with the 135mm x 10mm Ti bolt hub.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    925
    Yep, that's the ticket.

  18. #18
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,593
    Make sure if you can hear the freehub when you coast on your bike, that you open things up and put some more PTFE lube in the freewheel so that it is quiet again. If it is making a lot of noise, it's dry, and needs to be lubed. The pawls need to run in a bath of oil at all times.

    You should have a very hard time listening to the freehub when coasting, if you can hear it, it's dry, and dry is bad and doing damage to the freewheel. Hadleys need regular maintenance. They are a great high quality racing hub. Racing hubs need regular and frequent maintenance.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Make sure if you can hear the freehub when you coast on your bike, that you open things up and put some more PTFE lube in the freewheel so that it is quiet again. If it is making a lot of noise, it's dry, and needs to be lubed. The pawls need to run in a bath of oil at all times.
    That's my cue to service the hub as well. Only takes a few minutes to do.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Make sure if you can hear the freehub when you coast on your bike, that you open things up and put some more PTFE lube in the freewheel so that it is quiet again. If it is making a lot of noise, it's dry, and needs to be lubed. The pawls need to run in a bath of oil at all times.

    You should have a very hard time listening to the freehub when coasting, if you can hear it, it's dry, and dry is bad and doing damage to the freewheel. Hadleys need regular maintenance. They are a great high quality racing hub. Racing hubs need regular and frequent maintenance.
    How often would you say maintain them in a year?

  21. #21
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Where did I say I don't maintain my hubs? No, I do maintain my hubs and the seal was not blown. Problem was a 5+ hour CRAZY wet ride plus 3 hour ride back home with bike on hitch rack in driving rain. Tons of rain that day. Other bikes also had issues. Freak conditions. The lack of maintenance part of my post was based on the conversation with Hadley w.r.t the performance of ceramic bearings.
    I didn't say you don't maintain your hubs at all.

    What I did say that the hub was not maintained proper.
    A seal that is not damaged, dry, or full of dirt (does not happen in one ride), will not let dirt through, unless you exceed their pressure differential limit. To do so, we are talking pressure washer or the like.
    Those are simple and basic facts, no reason to get offended


    Magura

  22. #22
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by dumanichi View Post
    How often would you say maintain them in a year?
    As often as needed. This depends largely on your riding conditions.

    This summer has been extremely wet here in DK, so they have gotten a "clean & lube" ceremony like once a month.


    Magura

  23. #23
    Albany West Oz
    Reputation: Freediver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    275
    Help please,

    I am in Australia so Hadley parts are a bit thin on the ground, I have pulled apart my rear hub and it was full of crap, my bad, Fatbike ridden on Beach, down beach in water etc... anyhow.. sourced main bearings, cleaned everything up but the bearing in the freewheel was smashed, not the needles, cleaned them up okayish, but the sealed bearing, does anyone know what it is? Size/number???

    Would happily buy the kit if anyone knows where they are available in stock.

    Have tried to search it no avail, is this address current suzanne@hadleyracing.com it was the only one I found and no reply as yet.

    Appreciated, dave.

  24. #24
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Freediver View Post
    Help please,

    I am in Australia so Hadley parts are a bit thin on the ground, I have pulled apart my rear hub and it was full of crap, my bad, Fatbike ridden on Beach, down beach in water etc... anyhow.. sourced main bearings, cleaned everything up but the bearing in the freewheel was smashed, not the needles, cleaned them up okayish, but the sealed bearing, does anyone know what it is? Size/number???

    Would happily buy the kit if anyone knows where they are available in stock.

    Have tried to search it no avail, is this address current suzanne@hadleyracing.com it was the only one I found and no reply as yet.

    Appreciated, dave.
    There is a number on the seal of the bearing.

    If you give me that number, I will translate that into the industrial standard for you.


    Magura

  25. #25
    Albany West Oz
    Reputation: Freediver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    275
    Looked everywhere for the seals, the bearing either did not have seals or I have just lost them. I found all the seals for the main bearings and none have numbers on them, the bearing itself has a serial and that is how I ordered them here from the bearing shop.

    I will take the broken bearing in and see if they can measure it and match but if I had a reference it would be easier.

    Thanks for the reply BTW, Mr Magura.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hadley Bearings-img_4676.jpg  

    Hadley Bearings-img_4679.jpg  


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •