Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hadley Bearings

DIY all the way
    Just measure inner diameter, outer diameter, and the width.

Then I can give you a number.

Magura

Albany West Oz
    Okay, after a major battle verniers....
    OD 1.161" or 29.5mm
    ID 0.79" or 20mm
    Width 0.32" or 8.12mm

or something, geez, it's just a bike, is it meant to be this hard?

Okay so I just punched "bearing 29.5x20x8" into search and I came up with
    I was told by hadley that the bearing in the freehub is a custom size. You are essentially forced into buying a rebuild kit. (pawls, bearings, etc.)
    Which I am still happy to buy, but hey, can't find that either.

Glad I am not in the middle of the desert with a busted freehub...

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Freediver View Post
    Okay, after a major battle verniers....
    OD 1.161" or 29.5mm
    ID 0.79" or 20mm
    Width 0.32" or 8.12mm

or something, geez, it's just a bike, is it meant to be this hard?

Okay so I just punched "bearing 29.5x20x8" into search and I came up with

Which I am still happy to buy, but hey, can't find that either.

Glad I am not in the middle of the desert with a busted freehub...
    Is there no print on the bearing of any kind? Manufacturer or the like would help a lot.

The rebuild kit:

Hadley Freehub Bearing Kit SDH 2002+ at Balle Racing

Magura

Albany West Oz
    Thanks, saw that kit, out of stock. Would like to do the 12hr in three weeks, insert sad face.

I have emailed Greg at Speedway AK, that's where I got the hub, he does a lot with Hadley, hoping he can help me out. Also sent an email to Balle racing to see when and if...

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Freediver View Post
    Thanks, saw that kit, out of stock. Would like to do the 12hr in three weeks, insert sad face.

I have emailed Greg at Speedway AK, that's where I got the hub, he does a lot with Hadley, hoping he can help me out. Also sent an email to Balle racing to see when and if...
    I will have to hang my head in shame, and admit that I can't seem to find that particular bearing anywhere else

If you give Hadley a call, they usually sort things out, so however stupid it feels to write this, that's my best suggestion at this point.

I have a bunch of Hadley hubs myself, but have never had a dead freehub bearing.
    Fact is though, that if it ever happens, I will replace it with a polymer bearing.

Magura

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    I didn't say you don't maintain your hubs at all.

What I did say that the hub was not maintained proper.
    A seal that is not damaged, dry, or full of dirt (does not happen in one ride), will not let dirt through, unless you exceed their pressure differential limit. To do so, we are talking pressure washer or the like.
    Those are simple and basic facts, no reason to get offended

Magura
    Whatever. Thanks for sharing your vast, undeniable knowledge with us less-superior beings.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Whatever. Thanks for sharing your vast, undeniable knowledge with us less-superior beings.
    Try learning from facts, rather than getting butthurt.

This is engineering. If you wanna dispute engineering, better carry yourself like an engineer.

We are not discussing who fells what is right, but simple, basic engineering.

Now if you feel like claiming that seals don't work, by all means do so, but back up your claim.

Magura

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Haha the moment when people can't thicken their skin and listen to someone with engineering experience speak as they usually do: clean cut.

Maintenance, with the proper grease for the conditions, should make it last.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Haha the moment when people can't thicken their skin and listen to someone with engineering experience speak as they usually do: clean cut.

Maintenance, with the proper grease for the conditions, should make it last.
    You got a point there worth emphasizing (man that word was hard to spell).

Proper grease for the conditions. Often an overlooked detail, that makes quite a difference.
    The standard "FinishLine white grease rocks" mantra, is not gonna cut it here.

The easy solution is to have a chat with a local app. engineer from Shell or the like.
    They know the local conditions, and you will get a fairly priced industrial product.
    Draw a bike on the bottle if that's too boring

Magura

mtbr member
    Now if you feel like claiming that seals don't work, by all means do so, but back up your claim.

Magura
    Seals dont work when they're not installed, like hadley bearings..

No external seal is going to seal everything out. You're getting a bit on a high horse considering you dont know how/where he rides Ive had my bikes submerged up to the bottom bracket more than a few times, theres no seal on a bike thats going to keep crap out under those conditions.

Bearings fail and they're cheap. I have a drawer full of sealed bearings, I dont even bother to maintain them anymore.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Seals dont work when they're not installed, like hadley bearings..

No external seal is going to seal everything out. You're getting a bit on a high horse considering you dont know how/where he rides Ive had my bikes submerged up to the bottom bracket more than a few times, theres no seal on a bike thats going to keep crap out under those conditions.
    If they are well maintained, they sure do.

I live in a place, that offers rain like 200 days a year. I never have those problems.

My Hadley hubs are soon to be vintage pieces. They look like new inside.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Really, as Ehigh pointed out, it's a matter of choosing the right grease for the purpose, and keeping things clean.
    A respectable industrial seal, is made for that purpose, and if it didn't work, loads of other applications, which for at least a part of them are more demanding than bike hubs, would fail left and right.

What this discussion should be about, is maintenance and lubricant selection, instead of discussing if an old tried and tested solution works as intended

Magura

mtbr member
    Bearings fail. Its not that big of a deal, or a call to scold over maintenance. Toss new ones in, call it good. Your maintenance speech doesnt help much for bearings that are already damage.

DIY all the way
    Bearings fail. Its not that big of a deal, or a call to scold over maintenance. Toss new ones in, call it good. Your maintenance speech doesnt help much for bearings that are already damage.
    True, but it may very well keep a lot from being damaged, no?

Magura

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    True, a damaged bearing is a damaged bearing and when it's done it's done. However, when routine maintenance is done properly, you'd be more than likely to catch that something is the matter upon examination before you have something significant occur. Bearing wear is progressive and hardly seems to happen all at once. The same can be said for seals. It wouldn't go from fine to wrecked in a ride. It seems like there would be some indicators prior. I know sh!t happens, but again-seals, I haven't ever had any that have gone to crap without some forewarning that was indicative to negligence. Neither have any of the ones I've seen.

This is all based upon my experience. Maybe I've just found the right horse to stand on.

The seals I've seen blown are usually because someone is trying to use too light of grease. On the flip side, I've known some cold weather riders to have problems with too thick of grease. It's all a lot of hokum though, I know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Reassembly process seems the easiest way to eff the main seal (how to hold pawls down)..
    Last edited by Deerhill; 11-05-2012 at 01:13 PM.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    True, a damaged bearing is a damaged bearing and when it's done it's done. However, when routine maintenance is done properly, you'd be more than likely to catch that something is the matter upon examination before you have something significant occur. Bearing wear is progressive and hardly seems to happen all at once. The same can be said for seals. It wouldn't go from fine to wrecked in a ride. It seems like there would be some indicators prior. I know sh!t happens, but again-seals, I haven't ever had any that have gone to crap without some forewarning that was indicative to negligence. Neither have any of the ones I've seen.

This is all based upon my experience. Maybe I've just found the right horse to stand on.

The seals I've seen blown are usually because someone is trying to use too light of grease. On the flip side, I've known some cold weather riders to have problems with too thick of grease. It's all a lot of hokum though, I know.
    By now I guess we can conclude, that we are just two old idiots, with no idea of what we talk about
    I'm quite comfortable with that, how about you?

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Reassembly process seems the easiest way to eff the main seal (how to hold pawls down)..
    With a piece of string

If you don't, then you're right.

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    With a piece of string

If you don't, then you're right.

Magura
    Yeah, people don't figure it out...

"lack of info" or "user error" hmm...

No Stranger to danger....
    Magura is spot on with all he is sayin in this thread, the guy knows his bearings.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm going to attempt to service my front 20mm Thru-axle Hadley Hub. My hubs were serviced at the 3-4 month mark. At that time, the bearings were replaced (even though the mechanic said they were still good) to solve a grinding noise that started a couple of days after a rain ride. I am now at the 1 year mark, and I want to service the front hub. I think I should buy some bearings in case the current bearings are worn. I have some questions:

1) How do you know if the bearings are worn?

2) Where can I buy good, inexpensive(i.e. not ceramic) bearings in the US?

3) I was going to use Slick Honey for the grease. I ride in dry, dusty, desert conditions. Is that grease suitable?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    You should use a heavy wash-out resistant grease. Pretty much anything but slick honey. Regular old marine grease is excellent.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    By now I guess we can conclude, that we are just two old idiots, with no idea of what we talk about
    I'm quite comfortable with that, how about you?

Magura
    Oh dude totally, chumps for life.

Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    I'm going to attempt to service my front 20mm Thru-axle Hadley Hub. My hubs were serviced at the 3-4 month mark. At that time, the bearings were replaced (even though the mechanic said they were still good) to solve a grinding noise that started a couple of days after a rain ride. I am now at the 1 year mark, and I want to service the front hub. I think I should buy some bearings in case the current bearings are worn. I have some questions:

1) How do you know if the bearings are worn?

2) Where can I buy good, inexpensive(i.e. not ceramic) bearings in the US?

3) I was going to use Slick Honey for the grease. I ride in dry, dusty, desert conditions. Is that grease suitable?

Thanks.
    Bearings usually show a ring on them of some sorts, but any imperfection that is visible is a tell tale sign.

Compare prices, see what works.

I wouldn't recommend slick honey. It might feel "really good" for half an afternoon in those conditions, but then it will feel like "something's not right here"
    Slick honey often does not belong in there. Maybe if you raced and someone broke it down for you daily, then yeah-it would be worth it.

Albany West Oz
    2 years of a beach, racing, mud and rain, touring with loaded panniers... thought they were feeling a bit rough, might have to rethink my service intervals

Greg from Speedway has got a kit for me and is sending it now, Balle will have kits later next week according to Hadley.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You should use a heavy wash-out resistant grease. Pretty much anything but slick honey. Regular old marine grease is excellent.
    A heavy grease? But Hadley's own grease is supposed to be a 'light' grease.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast