mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Ground Control vs. Nobby Nic 29er

How do the Specialized Ground Control and Schwalbe Nobby Nic compare as far as rolling resistance, grip, and durability? The tread patterns look nearly identical, and the advertised weighs are very similar:

Ground Control (Control casing) 29x2.3 710g
    Nobby Nic (Snakeskin) 29x2.25 690g
    Nobby Nic (Snakeskin) 29x2.35 725g

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I've used both as my rear tire. It's honestly impossible for me to feel any performance difference. Both are excellent climbing tires with good cornering bite. I prefer the NN solely because the snakeskin sidewalls are more resistant to scuffing from rocks. I was wearing through the sidewalls of the specialized tires before the tread was worn out. Every time the tire got wet the weeping would start and it needed more sealant every couple rides.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Also, The NN bead is a little tighter. Still able to inflate with a floor pump but it took a couple tries and I broke a sweat.

11 is one louder than 10
    I echo those same comments. Hard to tell the difference when riding both. The Specialized tires were easier to set and bead up, the NN a touch lighter.

I Used the NN on Enve AM rims and the Specialized on Roval Carbon rims. The NN was a 29 x 2.25, the specialized a 29 x 2.3. Width and volume wise they are also very similar.

I've not had great luck with the Schwalbes in that many of mine developed the tiny pinhole syntdrome that led to sealant seeping. That said, I usually got a season here in Michigan out of them. Haven't had the Specialized long enough (control version).

I lean toward the Specialized as they are cheaper, and seated up easier. But performance wise they are close.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Helmetless Crasher
    The Nobby Nic is overrated in terms cornering grip. Half of the tread is only 3 knobs wide - u lean the the tire over on its shoulder and u got nada.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Disagree

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Disagree
    I am comparing it to the Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph, Fire XC Pro, and Kenda ExCavator, all of which tolerate more extreme lean angles than the NN. The NN has a flat profile with no knobs wrapping around the shoulder of the tire - the actual tread width is quite narrow. It hooks up well when upright, but has precious little tread in contact w/ the turf when leaned over.

Just my experience/observation.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Ok. You clearly feel strongly about that. I feel strongly that MY experience with the NN and the GC is the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use GCs on my Stumpy 2.3 front 2.1 rear and I've been very happy with them for the few times I've gotten to use them. I have heard great things about the Snakeskin Schwalbe tires. I found a Nobby Nic SS 29er 2.35 for 65 so I decided to try it out on my Kona Unit when it arrives. I agree that the tread looks similar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    I use GCs on my Stumpy 2.3 front 2.1 rear and I've been very happy with them for the few times I've gotten to use them. I have heard great things about the Snakeskin Schwalbe tires. I found a Nobby Nic SS 29er 2.35 for 65 so I decided to try it out on my Kona Unit when it arrives. I agree that the tread looks similar.
    Where are you buying the NN from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got it from Tree Fort Bikes using there instant price match.

Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance
    Last edited by worrptangl; 04-15-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Ok. You clearly feel strongly about that. I feel strongly that MY experience with the NN and the GC is the opposite.
    Its not something I feel strongly about - its just an observation I've made in terms of the tread lay-out/size. I just took a ruler to the tire treads in my garage. The 2.25 NN was only 1.5" measured from widest shoulder knob's inside edge to inside edge. By comparison, the 2.25 RoRo and RaRa were 1.75", and the 2.35 ExCavator was 2.0".

This is not to say the NN "sucks". But IMHO, cornering/handling is not its strong suit. It is a very light fast tire considering how grippy it is in drive/braking mode.
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 04-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Really interested in this thread since my NN 29x2.25 (front) has been a disappointment. I loved those tires in 26 gatestar compound and expected the same, but the 29 only comes in pacestar and has nowhere near the cornering grip of the gatestar.

How is the cornering grip of the ground control? Is it good as a front?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think all of these type of discussions should be qualified by some basic information. It's my experience that tires have a sweet spot relative to inflation pressure and whether they're running tubes or tubeless. Also, if you're always running on the same surface, which I never am, then you can choose a tire that performs well on that surface. For me, I prefer to choose a tire that performs well on multiple surfaces at the sacrifice of some rolling resistance or longevity. I can't be swapping tires when it rains or going to different trails.
    All that said, I haven't (yet) found anything better than the HD as a front tire. For the rear I vacillate between a NN 2.2 and a S-Works Fast Trak 2.2. Both will drift slightly, but fairly controlled, which is my preferred ride. I really don't like a rear tire that hooks up too much when laying it over.
    I run tubeless at low pressures (20-25 psi, carrying 175#). Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mich. Wild Grip"R is better than all of them. 29x2.25 Wild Grip'R is as wide as my old NN 29x2.35. Weight in 725 grams, they roller better than the NN. They won't pack the mud with their spaced out nobs. Grip on a different level "better", paid 78 bucks for two on ebay.
    Only draw back they wear out pretty fast. They are also hard to mount on rim, very tight. I needed to remove the valve-stem core to inflate tubeless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    With michelins you need to qualify whether your using advanced or ordinary folding.
    From experience I know you are talking about ordinary folding.
    The advanced are much much smaller. A 2.25 advanced is same volume asthe 2.1 ordinary folding.
    The ordinary folding compound is very average on wet roots and rocks.You need the advanced version in wet conditions.Otherwise i like their tires. Very fast and nice cush.A 2.1 ordinary or advanced 2.25 would be my tire of choice on the rear[ similar size and vol as other brands 2.25's] Wears well , fast and along with Geax tires the smoothest ride/ vol of any tire.

An aside for No Ni comparison. I too have been undewhelmed with No Ni in pacestar as it is too soft for the angled small edge tread [ designed to squish with harder compounds].As stated previously the angled tread also makes the effective tread width smaller. They need a stiff edge block.The new compound fails with the old design.
    I decided to try the performance No Ni with it's harder dual compound. As I expected, much improved. Can push it much harder in corners like the No Ni of old or better.It bites and holds now whereas the pacestar evo squirms and is vague. In fact i think they could just the older evo [ pre triple compound pacestar] as they are dual compound and even have the grey bead edge of old. The new pacestar version is better on wet tree roots otherwise IMHO the Performance version leaves the Evo for dead. A redesigned No Ni with squarer edge blocks like the new Ra Ra or Hd would be better but till then The Performance version is my pick.
    Actually feels quicker too.The 2.25 is probably my tire of choice now as a 29er front trail tire . Good balance between grip , weight and rolling resistance.Something which IMHO hard to find in 29er wheel size. The 2.35 is probably my tire of choice now as a 650B trail front tire.Lighter than No Ni evo snakeskin as well.They are not designated TLR. You can make anything seal with an extra layer of tape like the pre TLR evo. And not beiong TLR means they will be a perfect mate for Stans ZTR rims.

Definately worth a try as they are a quality tire at that price.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance DC 29 x 2,25" Faltreifen

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do they make Advanced in 29x2.25 size? I run low pressure 22 lbs I think there great on wet roots and rocks. Hardpack surfaces with higher pressure can get slick, but for this time of the year on the EastCoast the Wild Grip"R is my tire. During the summer I go Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1 for the race season.
    I put the NN Performance 29x2.25 on brother's bike back in the summer they are nice tires and much cheeper than the Evo's. I might give them a try on my 2013 Rocky Mountain Element 999RSL 29er !!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    yeh they do the Grip'r in a 29 x 2.25 advanced.

MICHELIN Wild Grip'R Advanced - Tyres vtt | MICHELIN - Motorcycle - United Kingdom - Bike-website

Michelin WildGrip´R Advanced Faltreifen günstig online kaufen - bike-components

Too touch the advanced compound feels more like Conti Black chilli than Schwalbe Pacestar.

The weight looks up the piss on the website? Michelin do really weird things with their tires[ like other Euro mfgs].They may have reinforced it or increase the casing size again in the 29er ?
    Going by experience they should be around the size and weight of the std 2.1 which is 650gm. The only advanced Grip'r 2.25 I have is a 26" and it's 580gm .
    So the 29er version should be around 650gm.