Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New question here. Ground Control vs. Captain vs Purgatory

I have ran specialized tires for years. Tried many different brands and have gone back to specialized for their great grip, durability, and large casings. My riding area is southern Wyoming and Northern Colorado.

So far my favorite combo is the purg up front & captain in the back. Purg works great for loose over hardpack while the captain rolls fast and has great braking control while going down steep rocky, loose, switchbacks.

Any opinions on the new ground control 2.3? Looks like it would be a good back tire. Mostly concerned with braking control down loose steep stuff. Also how about the new 2.3 purg? Im currently running the old 2.2 purg. Is it best in the front, back, or both?

So far im leaning towards, 2.3 purg upfront and gc 2.3 out back.

no trees are safe
    Seems like quite an aggressive setup. Seems like it could work quite well.

You could try other brand combos, like Mich Wild Rock'r front and Wild Grip'r back, but overall your pick looks very good too.

Save Jesus
    The Ground Control is only OK when in comes to rear "braking" control. It tends to fishtail a little bit. But that was in more wet conditions. Maybe in the dry it is ok.

mtbr member
    My take on the ground control is that it is pretty much as aggressive as the captain with better rolling. Also far better mud clearance.

Cannot comment on the new purg, as I am still using my 2.4. The 2.3 is meant to roll better again.

My take would be purg front and go back. Or butcher front and purg back for a more aggressive combination.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I like the ground control better than the captain as a rear tire, I hated the center row of knobs on the captain, having more space between the "paddles" on the ground control seems to grip both pedaling and braking for me

not sure how this applies to your situation but I'm 250# and running 2.3 purg front and 2.1 gc rear
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I picked up the new 2.3 purg and mounted it up front tubeless. Was super easy even with a floor pump. I ended up moving my 2.2 purg to the back. Shop had to order the ground control. Should be here next week. When comparing the 2 purgs, they are exactly the same width just eyeballing them. And the nobs have slightly different sipping and some of the center nobs are slightly different.

Will post results soon for the purg combo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Well I picked up the new 2.3 purg and mounted it up front tubeless. Was super easy even with a floor pump. I ended up moving my 2.2 purg to the back. Shop had to order the ground control. Should be here next week. When comparing the 2 purgs, they are exactly the same width just eyeballing them. And the nobs have slightly different sipping and some of the center nobs are slightly different.

Will post results soon for the purg combo.
    I ended up with the same 2.3/2.2 combo as well; about five rides into sussing them out. So far, I like it. I'm thinking that rotating the front 2.3 to the rear would be pretty economical and keep the rear rolling resistance down a bit. Why buy a low knob tire when you can just use a half worn front?

I measured the 2.2 as 2mm narrower in both casing and tread, but so what. I've gotten over the volume thing and find that about 55mm feels fine. I really liked the 2.1 GC as it was so nimble and quick, but I have to accept that it's all mountainsides around here and having a tire capable of handling the unexpected 'deviation from plan' is a good idea. I blew a corner a few days ago and the Purg just dug itself a trench up the bank and back to the trail; I was expecting a face plant.

They spaced out the blocks more on the 2.3. The little hex block grew up into being capable of doing more than keep the casing off the dirt. The edge knobs are longer and so on, but it's all just tweaks. New one's better.

I guess if I cared more about weight and roll I'd go GC rear but I'm just thinking of running 2.3 Purg F&R and just giving up the search for tire perfection. One tire to stock. Simple. A little more tire than I need rather than just enough or 'better be careful'.

Workin for the weekend!
    Fast Trak FTW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ground Control vs. Captain vs Purgatory

Recently put GC 2.3s front and rear on my hardtail. I like everything about them except they feel sketchy on loose over hardpack. They haven't washed out, but I felt more confident on my WTB Wolverine 2.2s. I think the Purgatory front/GC rear might be the magic combo.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Love the Purg on the front, GC not so much but it is a fine rear on loose over hardpack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I picked up another 2.3 purg for the back and setup tubeless. Will be testing the full purg 2.3 combo sunday & monday. For all you bike nerds I will include terrain pics, along with a detailed review. Stay tuned.

It will be another week before I get to test the GC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ground Control vs. Captain vs Purgatory-dscn0069.jpgGround Control vs. Captain vs Purgatory-dscn0072.jpgGround Control vs. Captain vs Purgatory-dscn0050.jpgGround Control vs. Captain vs Purgatory-dscn0078.jpg

I tested purg 2.3 front and rear this weekend. Great combo, rolls faster than the old purg on hardpack and works excellent on loose conditions. Braking control is far better than the captain, and I can drift the backend if I want while maintaining control. Not sure I want to test the GC out back, this works so great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    When hitting soft berms, the front end stays planted, no washouts, and I hardly had to pressure the front end to maintain traction through the turns. Works great on rocks, roots, and the slightly fatter casing is great for bumbs, rocks, when compared to the old 2.2. Mud shedding is excellent as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    QQ, which exact model of perg did you go with? S-Works? Control? Grid?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I tried the 2.3 ground control as rear. Great tire..... EXCEPT the tread does NOT wrap around the casing far enough. If you are an aggressive rider do not use this tire. You can only lean it over so far until it breaks completely loose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That ground control does that to me all the time. So what would be best on a rear in lose rocky area with a little hard pack?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im running 26" 2.3 Purgatory Control front & back. I never had good luck with the SWORKS cus its too thin, never tried the grid. Im running conti revo sealant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    28psi front 30 rear. Im about 195 or 200lbs geared up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr highball View Post
    That ground control does that to me all the time. So what would be best on a rear in lose rocky area with a little hard pack?
    Dr. I would try the full purg combo. During my ride this weekend I encountered lots of loose shale & granite along the trail. Tire worked great, and held up pretty good on loose rocks while braking. After the ride, I didn't have one chunked nob in the rear and the nob edges were still crisp. The purg tires rolled quite fast when I had to get onto a forest service road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you for the info . Will try them out .Who makes these tires also.

mtbr member
    Specialized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr highball View Post
    Hard to beat a shwably nobby nick for loose over hardpack, yet still a fast tire. Also like the maxxis ardent. The purgatory & captains I prefer for front tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Whalenerd, I saw a pair of nobby nicks at local shop. $84 bucks for a one tire! Thats outrageous. Never tried schwably however the nobby nick tread pattern looked very similar to the ground control. I wonder how they would hold up to rocks, and if there are issues with chunking cus the nobs seemed quite soft when I fondled them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Stumpynerd, did you weigh your 2.3s before you put them on? Site says 755 and mine weighed 800. Not that it matters as it will be 755 soon enough, but just curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    Stumpynerd, did you weigh your 2.3s before you put them on? Site says 755 and mine weighed 800. Not that it matters as it will be 755 soon enough, but just curious.
    Nope I didn't weigh them. I'm running the 26" purgs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast