I'm with stupid

Gripton Compound in the wet?

Anyone ride the new gripton compound in the wet or cold and wet? I was told it is the same guy that made Black Chili compound for Conti which was amazing in the wet. So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience. It is not getting wet here yet but it will be soon and I need a new set of rubber.

mtbr member
    MK over on pinkbike reviewed a tire in that compound - he appeared pretty happy with it

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specia...re-review.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Iíve used the GRID Gripton, Butcher/Slaughter 650b x 2.6 in the cold (high was 40F) and wet (mud, snow and puddles) at Thunder Mountain bike park in MA. Obviously the Slaughter isnít the right tire for the slop, but half of the park was hard packed dry so it was a gamble. They have the unfortunate lower grip (compared to DHF DH 2.5 Super Tacky) and higher wear. Pulled them off to put my used DHF set back on purely based on front tire braking performance.

Side note, the 2.6 tires are 2.5 wide but 2.6 tall on mtx33 rims tubeless at 30f/31r psi. The DHF is 2.4 by 2.4 on the same rim with tubes.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    I just rode last night with a Butcher/Purgatory combo, both in 2.3 with GRID casing. The Purgatory has the new Gripton compound, though. The trails were covered in wet leaves, rocks, and the occasional mud hole. If it makes any sense, I basically forgot about them; the tires just did their thing.

I had the rear set up with ~26psi and it did feel a little squirmy. When it's dry, I generally run 28psi or even 30. The compound seems good, but I don't care for the new GRID casing.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Interesting. I just had my first ride on the Hillbilly Grid 2018 model (looks very promising).

My initial impression is that the Gripton is more gravity orientated - I found it more draggy than the old version, really highly damped, great traction and braking going down but it's gone away from my tyre set up goals. I feel like the old compound was more all round? Early days but if that's how it keeps going I'll probably be taking it off.. Amazing if your goals are out and out DH/tech speed.

I'm with stupid
    I just picked up a Hillbilly grid 2.6 yesterday and will have my first ride on it tomorrow. Rode the butcher for a bit and convinced myself to switch back to maxxis for a bit but things have gotten too loose as of late for the DHF. SO i figured what the hell I will give it a go. If it is nearly as good at a shorty then I will be happy since they are quite a bit cheaper.