mtbr member
    Jun 2012

gorilla VS stans

OK did this for my own test, 2 new wheels built for bike Stans ZTR Arch EX. Front tire I used Gorilla tape and rear I used Stans tape.
    Over a week now and the front has lost no air at all and the rear Stans tape one is about 50% down on air pressure. Both tires where done the same way, same sealent and same stems.
    ease of install I give to the Gorilla tape and fastest build to Gorilla tape and also cost 3 bucks for a 1" roll of tape. I didn't even have to cut it , it fits perfectly inside the rim.

I know this has been covered before but it was my first time doing it and I wanted to see on my own what was better and easier, videos are nice but if the guy doing it has done 400 wheels then they just make it look easy. Like trials it looks easy, hey how hard can it be, trust me its very hard.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

transmitter~receiver
    Nice comparison.

Gorilla advantages:
    cost
    better air retention(?)

Disadvantages:
    weight (~20g differential per wheel IIRC) **edited**
    messy residue
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-15-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Desert RAT
    I used the gorilla tape on my fat bike and it worked first try. I still have hell sometimes with my stans tape and rims. I am thinking of using gorilla tape on my stans rims from here on out.

mtbr member
    Gorilla tape is cheaper and nearly idiot proof. The adhesive requires very little prep, and application can be a little sloppy but it will still work. On the downside it is quite a bit heavier and it is also thicker (may or may not be a disadvantage depending on the application). And removal can messy, though warming it up with a heat gun or hair drier seems to help it come off cleaner.

Stans tape and similar take careful rim prep and application. You need to provide a good surface to adhere to that is completely free of any contaminants. Application needs to be precise as well. If done correctly, it will hold air just as well as Gorilla Tape. Of course it is much lighter and easier to remove as well. And you can buy the same stuff in blue...3M 8898 Strapping Tape for quite a bit less.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Nice comparison.

Gorilla advantages:
    cost
    better air retention(?)

Disadvantages:
    weight (~50g differential per wheel IIRC)
    messy residue
    I just weighed the entire roll of gorilla tape including the core and it was 90 grams minus the part I used for the front tire, I would think 5-10 grams at best, no way its 50 grams a wheel heavier.The roll I have can do at least 4-6 wheels or more.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

DFMBA.org
    I taped my aftermarket Archs with Stan's tape and it held really well and is still holding great almost a year later. If/when I get another set of Arch wheels I'll stick with the yellow tape. That said, my next bike will have oem wheels with a taller bead channel (Giant P-XC2) and I thought that this would be a good opportunity to try the Gorilla Ghetto method. Heck, I even made my own tubeless brew for the job! When I do the wheels I'll post a detailed (w/ pics) write-up of the process, but I'm feeling more and more confident about the GT the more I read. I recently came across these articles and now any lingering concerns are pretty much nil:

Read the first paragraph:
    Tech Tuesday: Gorilla Tape Tubeless Conversion by RichardCunningham - Pinkbike

Now look at this:
    Welcome to ENVE Composites
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip on the 3M 8898!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I just weighed the entire roll of gorilla tape including the core and it was 90 grams minus the part I used for the front tire, I would think 5-10 grams at best, no way its 50 grams a wheel heavier.The roll I have can do at least 4-6 wheels or more.
    You're right. I thought I had read that on mtbr... maybe it was for both wheels.
    I just weighed a 1"x6" strip of Gorilla at 1.8g
    That means a 29er-length piece of 1" Gorilla is going to weigh ~25g or ~20g per wheel more than Stan's yellow tape.

Thanks for catching that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database