Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Gorilla tape OVER Roval tape?

my rear Specialized Roval wheel has the tubeless tape / strip from Specialized but it leaks air (front is fine).
    Could I use a layer of gorilla tape on top of the Roval strip?
    or should I peel the roval strip off completely and replace with gorilla tape?

I could also get some Stan's tape too...

thoughts?

thanks.

oh yeah...mounting brand new Kenda Excavator 2.35 kevlar beads.

mtbr member

Re: Gorilla tape OVER Roval tape?

Where does it leak from exactly? Have you dunked the inflated wheel in a tub of water to troubleshoot?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    no not yet...maybe I'll put it in the tub tonight.
    would overlaying gorilla tape cause any issues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    no not yet...maybe I'll put it in the tub tonight.
    Would overlaying gorilla tape cause any issues?
    I don't know if it would cause issues, but you need to find out what is leaking in order to start fixing it.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    If this is the blue tape from Specialized, and on a Roval rim, and you find it is the tape leaking, get some of the new Roval rim strips and dump the tape altogether.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    If this is the blue tape from Specialized, and on a Roval rim, and you find it is the tape leaking, get some of the new Roval rim strips and dump the tape altogether.
    i think it IS the blue strip...not cloth tape, but a vinyl type one.
    i want to buy online, know any retailers?
    or i can get Stans tape too.

i hear great things about gorilla tape...kind of weird...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    The tape is blue...it is NOT a strip. The strips are a dark brown/white lettering IIRC. They look like a traditional rim strip for an old style tube type set up and are not glued down.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    What makes you think tape is the culprit?

mtbr member
    Specialized had some issues with their rim strips leaking air to nipple holes for a while (not sure if it is sorted). Take it in to your LBS and get them to deal with it. Specialized had some deal going where they would then sort it out with the shop later.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Stan's tape is pretty foolproof if you install it correctly. Light too.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Yeah, I heard about that. The ones that I have installed have been super, but even Specialized asked me if I had any valve stem leakage issues. SO far so good. Good tape is good...the blue stuff they used was not good.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    they have an actual tubeless strip now instead of tape? it works on the control sl carbon wheels?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Gorilla tape OVER Roval tape?-dsc02684sm.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    they have an actual tubeless strip now instead of tape? it works on the control sl carbon wheels?
    Yes they do. I was having issues with the blue tape lifting off the carbon rims and the rim strips solve that...obviously, as they just stretch and lay in there...no adhesive. Even my local dealer had not seen them, but they exist. They are rim width specific so you need to get the right ones. Here is a pic.
    Blog Ramblings

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im running the stans tape. I think I have 2 layers...

I had issues leaking around the valve. You really have to crank down on the presta valve nut to make it air tight.

I did not like the vinyl strips.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sheep, did you score that set of carbon Rovals? I have had no issues with the tubeless strips on mine. I did have a leaky valve initially, but some strategic shaking of the wheel so sealant splashed up against it solved it. They don't leak at all.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Sheep, did you score that set of carbon Rovals? I have had no issues with the tubeless strips on mine. I did have a leaky valve initially, but some strategic shaking of the wheel so sealant splashed up against it solved it. They don't leak at all.
    Yep. They ride nice and stiff and the weight and width are sweet.

But right now, they are back at specialized for a warranty issue. Wasnt too happy. The bearings on the front wheel have developed play which could be felt through the fork.

Also, the wheels are incompatible with Niner RDO forks and the fork on my On One Dirty Disco.

Really bummed. Fortunately, the RDO fork can be run with a small 1mm washer between the drive side hub and fork leg.

If I could buy again, it would definitely be 240s on Enve AMs.

Gorilla tape OVER Roval tape?-niner-rdo-fork-compatibility.jpg
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Well now, the timing is everything, I guess. Last night I was changing a tire on a Roval wheel and as usual the blue tape was peeling away. "No worries", I thought, I have one more set of those rim strips. Epic fail for one hour of messy work...never could get it to seal. Tons of blow-by at the valve stem hole. Tried two Roval stems, one Stans...nada. But I seriously doubt it was leaking at the stem/rim interface. With the wheel in hand and a valve stem in place, that looked very well covered even to the point of the stem not wanting to come out of the rim without a shove. I saw nothing there that goop should not seal.

Ran out of daylight to mess with it, but I was thinking later on that I have two sidewall dings in that rim and that could be enough to keep the tire bead from setting on the rim strip evenly and sealing things. So, maybe that was the deal. Dunno. Likely back to tape on this one rim.

Something to be said for UST and that sealed rim well.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My '13 Stumpy Comp came with the brown tubeless strip installed. When I converted to tubeless one wheel was perfect and on the other one I kept hearing air escaping. I tried a different set of valves, re-installing the rim strip, and seating the tire multiple times with no fix. After a call to Specialized it was determined that it was a bad rim strip and they offered to send a new one. I had heard good things about Gorilla tape and had a roll laying around. I removed the Roval strip from both wheels, put a couple of layers of Gorilla tape down, and re-assembled.

No air leaks at all and have had the setup going since October with no issues whatsoever. I'm sure the Stans tape and some others are good, but on a lower budget Gorilla tape works fine. Not to mention you'll have enough tape left over that you could change it out everytime you put new sealant in the tires.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    SO Gorilla tape is the Home Depot type super duct tape? How do you get it to the correct width? If you remove it, does it leave a sticky, gooey mess all over? I may have to try some just so I am in the know.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    SO Gorilla tape is the Home Depot type super duct tape? How do you get it to the correct width? If you remove it, does it leave a sticky, gooey mess all over? I may have to try some just so I am in the know.
    Yep, same stuff you can buy at a hardware store. To get it to the correct width, you have to do a little measuring. In my experience, removing it doesn't leave a sticky mess everywhere. It does leave a slight bit of residue in places, but nothing a little bit of goo-gone won't take care of.

This is the tutorial I followed when I did the conversion:

Tech Tuesday: Gorilla Tape Tubeless Conversion - Pinkbike

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Well, by golly I will have to try that. I already mix my own sealant. Might as well tape my own rims too.

Thanks for the link...makes sense to me, curious how they show pre-measuring the width since you have so many different rim profiles. Still, it would be easy to trial-and-error a small piece just to get the width right before cutting the roll up.
    Blog Ramblings

transmitter~receiver
    Gorilla tape blows.
    Get 3M 8898 instead (link). It's like Stan's but way cheaper.... $5 for a 60m roll, which is enough to do 25 29er wheels and even cheaper than Gorilla tape. It's lighter than Gorilla, doesn't have all the holes in it, and doesn't leave all that sticky, gummy, crappy residue all over the place if you need to pull it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Gorilla tape blows.
    Get 3M 8898 instead (link). It's like Stan's but way cheaper.... $5 for a 60m roll, which is enough to do 25 29er wheels and even cheaper than Gorilla tape. It's lighter than Gorilla, doesn't have all the holes in it, and doesn't leave all that sticky, gummy, crappy residue all over the place if you need to pull it up.
    Hmmm thanks for the link. That sure looks like Specialized blue tape though. Wonder if it is?
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member

update

Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    What makes you think tape is the culprit?
    just an update...
    instead of buying new strips or applying gorilla tape i decided to swap the valve with a new Stans valve i had lying around.

seems to work WAY better now. Minimal air loss over a 24 hour period.
    with the stock valve i was basically flat.

mtbr member

Re: Gorilla tape OVER Roval tape?

Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    just an update...
    instead of buying new strips or applying gorilla tape i decided to swap the valve with a new Stans valve i had lying around.

seems to work WAY better now. Minimal air loss over a 24 hour period.
    with the stock valve i was basically flat.
    We never got a report about results of a dunk in a tub of water. That would show if the valve is the culprit and/or something else. If bubbles came out from the spoke holes, then I would concur with blaming the rim tape/strip.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast