Contains no juice.

Is Gorilla Tape okay to use as rim strips on carbon rims?

My rim strips are in pretty bad shape, so I went to the LBS to get new stuff. They didn't have wide enough tape, and one of the guys said to just use Gorilla Tape. I went and got some, but it's not sticking to the carbon very well, and I'm afraid to finish the job for fear I'll waste some Stan's.

What's the consensus out there? I did a brief search, but didn't feel like wading through it all.

And what's this kapton tape all about, and can I get it locally without going online?

Tia.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 08-08-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Fixed kapton
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

Bodhisattva
    Gorilla tape works fine. I've been using it for years. The only negative I've had is that it leaves tape residue behind when removing, which requires some elbow grease and denatured alcohol to remove. Otherwise, no problem.

mtbr member
    Enve (used to and maybe still does) use Gorilla tape or it's equivalent so it's OK for carbon. What seems weird is it isn't sticking well, which is not typically the problem with it. Maybe your rim isn't clean enough. Clean with solvent, IPA, etc.. The issues with Gorilla are the cloth get saturated with sealant and it can start to leak, it leaves quite a mess on the rim once it leaks and need to be replaced, the glue oozes out from under the tape an sticks to the tire bead lifting the tape when you change a tire, it's heavy, etc...

I think you're referring to Kapton tape. I used to get it at work and more recently at Amazon. IDK where it might be available local to you. There are other options that I'm sure others will weigh in with.
    Do the math.

transmitter~receiver
    Gorilla tape blows... hard.
    Use something else for your own peace of mind. Tyvek, Kapton, or 3M 8898
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Gorilla tape works well if itís put on properly. Clean the rim well with alcohol prior to sticking and as you are going round the rim keep pulling on the tape to keep tension on it.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Gorilla tape works well if itís put on properly. Clean the rim well with alcohol prior to sticking and as you are going round the rim keep pulling on the tape to keep tension on it.
    Ugh. I cleaned the rim, but didn't use alcohol (either type, lol). I didn't want to tear off the strip I'd already installed so I went for it. Tire mounted fine and there aren't any leaks, so I'm hoping it will hold.

We'll see. Thanks for the advices.
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

mtbr member
    I'm using it currently. No issues for two years now...but I won't use it again. Its really thick. It makes my tires pretty much impossible to remove. I built up another set of wheels (hoops are from the same manufacturer) and used Stan's tape. No problems with removing the tire.

If I was in a bind and needed tape right then and there...sure I'll use it...but if I have a choice...I'll pass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Isn't there something with gorilla tape, carbon rims, and alloy nipples? IIRC that's the combo I've heard of causing trouble. I think the thick adhesive on gorilla tape holds moisture around the nipples, where some kind of galvanic corrosion occurs. I don't know why carbon would be more conducive to such a reaction, but I've never heard of it with aluminum...

mtbr member
    I agree. Tried Gorilla tape and it just didn't stick well and was too thick to mold to the inside of the rim. 3M 8898 works perfect especially if you heat up the rim and tape just a bit and it is super lightweight. Get the blue color cause it looks good.

mtbr member
    Stans says Gorilla Tape blows. It's porous and sealant can work it's way into the rim cavity, causing corrosion due to its moisture content.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    Stans says Gorilla Tape blows. It's porous and sealant can work it's way into the rim cavity, causing corrosion due to its moisture content.
    Isn't that kinda like Chevy saying Ford blows?
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Isn't that kinda like Chevy saying Ford blows?
    Uh no... Gorilla tape is not made for that purpose. It's a cheap hack, pure and simple. I'll never get over folks who will spend thousands on a bike and try to save a few bucks on inferior rim tape substitutes.

mtbr member
    I will never use it again. Mine never leaked, etc but good luck taking the tape off. The residue it leaves behind is a pita to get off. Also, the tape took a little carbon with it when I peeled it off.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I will never use it again. Mine never leaked, etc but good luck taking the tape off. The residue it leaves behind is a pita to get off. Also, the tape took a little carbon with it when I peeled it off.

For these and other reasons I think gorilla tape is a bad idea. So many other, better, lighter, no compromise solutions.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Buy kapton tape in the width you need and be done.

Gorilla tape is horrible. Sealant degrades the adhesive and it starts to leak. Huge pain in the a$$ to remove to retape.

Kapton is cheap. Buy in any width you could want (I use it for my fat bike rims over the rims strips as well as my trail bike and 29+ bike) go around the rim 3x each from the roll and forget about it. Havent even had to retape a rim in years now. My fat bike rims are going on season 3 and on 3rd set of tires. Trail bike season 2, second set of tires, 29+ wheels for pavement/touring/commuting built in the winter and added air once in all my miles on it.

Make sure to put a tube in (or just air no sealant but tube is faster) for a bit. I tape one, put tire and tube on, air up and let sit while I prep and tape the next rim. Tube/tire air up second one and let it sit while I break down the first one and put valve stem and sealant in.

1 roll of kapton tape can do a few sets of wheels too. $15-20 for a roll and you'll not be needing more for a long time.

Best part is, removal is gravy. Leave no residue, comes right off no problem. And no yanking on it trying to pull it as tight as possible. Doesnt even have to be perfectly smooth install without bubbles or wrinkles. Sealants dont effect the adhesive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    Stans says Gorilla Tape blows. It's porous and sealant can work it's way into the rim cavity...
    Don't know about the corrosion, personally, but I tried Gorilla tape, and can attest to the part I quoted.
    Pros: goes on easy
    Cons: everything else

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Buy kapton tape in the width you need and be done.

I had a well-meaning friend clue me into Kapton a few years ago. At his insistence i got a few widths and lots of quantity, and started to experiment with and phase it into my builds where appropriate.

It works OK on some rims. Anything that has a multi-shaped extrusion it doesn't work all that well, because it doesn't conform super well to the corners and radii.

It's also much more challenging (compared to Stans, Orange Seal, 8898, etc...) to create the valve hole effectively. ~50% of the time when you open up the valve hole (regardless of your method) the tape just cuts (almost breaks) completely in half at that spot. No bueno.

I've also had a few customers tell me that their wheels arrived with the tape laying loose inside the box -- not at all adhered to the rim.

I've got 8 or 10 rolls of it left if anyone wants it.

mtbr member
    10-4 on that. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    For these and other reasons I think gorilla tape is a bad idea. So many other, better, lighter, no compromise solutions.