Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Gorilla tape ghetto tubeless works great.

I saw a vid about this on youtube.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1ib5HdA5M

So, I got the tape, some Stan's sealant and cut the presta valves out of two tubes.

I pretty much followed the vids with these changes:

1. Cut the tape to fit into the rim so the tape DOES NOT go up the inside walls of the rim. The tire will not seal if it does.

2. I didnt bother with the string to measure the length of tape. I cut the tape to the correct width on the roll with a razor knife and just wound it around the rim twice

3. On my Bontrager Mustang rims I could not get the tires to air up with one layer of tape. With two layers they puffed right up first try.

4. Cut the rubber around the presta valve a little big so it just fits between the tire beads. This helps hold the beads in place near the valve.

5. Air it up with soapy water to help the seal first. This will seat the bead. I then I used a tire lever to open up a little gap in the bead and squirted 2oz of Stan's sealant into the tire.

The rest of the process is the standard wiggle the tire while rotating it then set it on its side for a minute or so...wiggle, rotate and st it on the other side. Repeat untill its seals completely.

I weigh 210lbs and I run 28psi F and 30psi R.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaone33
    I saw a vid about this on youtube.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1ib5HdA5M

So, I got the tape, some Stan's sealant and cut the presta valves out of two tubes.

I pretty much followed the vids with these changes:

1. Cut the tape to fit into the rim so the tape DOES NOT go up the inside walls of the rim. The tire will not seal if it does.

2. I didnt bother with the string to measure the length of tape. I cut the tape to the correct width on the roll with a razor knife and just wound it around the rim twice

3. On my Bontrager Mustang rims I could not get the tires to air up with one layer of tape. With two layers they puffed right up first try.

4. Cut the rubber around the presta valve a little big so it just fits between the tire beads. This helps hold the beads in place near the valve.

5. Air it up with soapy water to help the seal first. This will seat the bead. I then I used a tire lever to open up a little gap in the bead and squirted 2oz of Stan's sealant into the tire.

The rest of the process is the standard wiggle the tire while rotating it then set it on its side for a minute or so...wiggle, rotate and st it on the other side. Repeat untill its seals completely.

I weigh 210lbs and I run 28psi F and 30psi R.
    For mustangs the Bonti plastic strips work very well and used to be cheap. For valves the Bontrager tubeless valves are only $3.99 ea and have a removeable core making putting sealant int easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    For mustangs the Bonti plastic strips work very well and used to be cheap. For valves the Bontrager tubeless valves are only $3.99 ea and have a removeable core making putting sealant int easy.
    Where do you get the Bontrager valves in the US?

Former Bike Wrench
    Video shows using a UST tire...I wonder how well this method will prevent burping on standard tires (not UST or "Tubeless Ready") vs The split tube ghetto method

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am running normal (not UST or 2Bliss) Specialized Roll X Team folding tires at pretty low pressure and I have had no problems.

Former Bike Wrench
    How many rides have you done on it?

I'm asking because burping is usually the main issue of running standard tires on tubeless systems. I ran standard tires on UST rims many years ago and had numerous burping issues. Now running standard tires with the tube Ghetto method...none because the tire actually seals to the "rim strip". But with this Gorilla Tape method, it doesn't...it may vary from one tire to another but I would be concerned with burping since there is no seal between the tire and the "rim strip".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    How many rides have you done on it?

I'm asking because burping is usually the main issue of running standard tires on tubeless systems. I ran standard tires on UST rims many years ago and had numerous burping issues. Now running standard tires with the tube Ghetto method...none because the tire actually seals to the "rim strip". But with this Gorilla Tape method, it doesn't...it may vary from one tire to another but I would be concerned with burping since there is no seal between the tire and the "rim strip".

I have one weekend on them. I rode a trail system with a lot of roots and rough fast down hill sections on a hard tail...no burps.

There are a few thousand people running Stan's tubeless kits with regular tires on all sorts of rims with no or very infrequent problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Where do you get the Bontrager valves in the US?
    Any trek dealer.

29 some of the time...
    This is basically the Stan's method. The deviations are in the materials he chose to use and the fact that he tapes over the valve stem after it is installed. I did one of these gorilla conversions with an old valve stem this evening. No issues, sealed right up. It's a bit easier than ghetto tubeless and obviously more tire swap friendly. We'll see how well it holds up compared to Stan's yellow tape, but rumor has it the stuff is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Former Bike Wrench
    I think like most Ghetto methods, it is probably dependant on the rim and tires used. I ripped my valve stem from my Ghetto strip last week. So since I'm using "Tubeless Ready" tires right now and WTB Speed Disc AM rims that have very good bead hooks...I thought I'd give it a shot (not sure I'd try this with a standard tire as I had numerous burping issues a few years back with standard tires and UST rims). I left the layer of straping tape on and did one wrap of Gorilla tape (comes in 1" x 30ft rolls, perfect width for my Speed Disc AM's) with an overlap at the valve stem hole. I had a couple of Mavic UST stems in my parts bin so I installed these after just punching a hole in the tape. 3oz of my tubeless sealant mix and about a 5 second blast from my compressor and the tires seated. One ride and a week later, they're holding air better than the Ghetto method.

So we'll see...I'd still be nervous about standard tires since there is no seal on the bead, but for tubeless ready tires I feel pretty confident of this working.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think the key to this working well is using one or two layers of tape depending on the depth of the rim channel. Deeper rims need a 2nd layer of tape to ease initial inflation and possibly improve the bead seal.

29 some of the time...
    I think like most Ghetto methods, it is probably dependant on the rim and tires used.
    Definitely true. For my conversion I only did one wrap in the rim bed, not a wider strip over the bead seat. The WTB rims have a sharp and deep center channel that makes this type of conversion a bit more of a dilema. I lost a few psi overnight, but will go for a ride this afternoon so that should shake the sealant around a bit more. I actually did very little shaking since the tire is a true ust, thick sidewall, maxxis. I tried to shake it a bit at the valve stem to make sure it sealed there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Its been a few weeks now and my conversion is still going great. Bontrager Mustangs, Specialized Roll-x folding tires, Gorilla tape, Stan's sealant, and cut out presta valves from old tubes. I weight 210lb and I am running 30 in the rear and 25 in the front on a 26" hardtail. I have experienced zero problems, no burps, blow outs or even loss of pressure week to week.

Saturday I converted 3 other bikes and we all rode today with no issues.

Bike 1: Belongs to my GF. Fisher Joshua Z0 She is 115lb.

Sun CR17A rims
    Specialized Captain 2.1 Wire beads
    Gorilla tape
    Stan's Sealant
    Cut out Presta valve stems
    22psi F/ 25psi R

Bike 2: Belongs to my best friend. Stumpy FSR Elite He is 250lb.

Mavic 223 disc rims
    Specialized Captain 2.1 Wire beads
    Gorilla tape
    Stan's Sealant
    30psi F/ 35psi R

Bike 3: Belongs to my friend's wife. Giant Cypher (Women's Trance X) She is 135lb.

WTB Speed Disc XC rims
    Specialized Fast Trak LK S-works Folding
    Gorilla tape
    Stan's Sealant
    22psi F/ 25psi R

Bikes 1 and 2 needed 2 layers of tape for easy initial inflation.

Bike 3 with the WTB rims seemed to be tubless ready as they had flat shelves for the tire beads to climb up on to. It only needed one layer of tape and it inflated and sealed instantly.

All tires held air with no leaks of loss of pressure and no one had and burps today even on some nasty roots and very steep washed out g-outs.

Former Bike Wrench
    Thanks for the updates...I decided to try it with "Tubeless Ready" tires on my WTB Speed Disc AM 29 rims and Mavic UST Valves.

Yes the WTB rims use "International Bead Seat" on their Laser and Speed Disc rims, its seems to really hold on to tire beads tight. The 1" wide roll of Gorilla Tape is the perfect width for LaserDisc Trail and Speed Disc AM's.

I've been a bit limited on my rides due to trail closures (fire hazard extreme due to dry and hot summer) but I have gotten about a half dozen rides and had zero issues.

29 some of the time...
    My conversion has been trouble free. It bleeds off about 10psi if I let the bike sit for a few days. I check pressure before every ride, so that is a non issue for me. I will do my other wheel sometime next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Has anyone tried this conversion with DT Swiss 5.1D rims?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jtforester
    Has anyone tried this conversion with DT Swiss 5.1D rims?
    Just go with the Gorrilla tape, bonty rim strip method. I have the DT kit and it is awesome - remember to run real UST tires for best results.

mtbr member
    That would be my biggest concern too. I have never burped a tire with the "split tube" method. I even used that method on UST wheels with regular tires, because even with a UST rim, a "regular" tire is not made to seal at the bead, and the split tube takes care of that.

I think that with a UST, or Tubeless Ready tire, the tape would be okay, but I don't think I would trust the bead seal with a "regular" tire. I like the way the "split tube" method provides a good seal at the bead.

In the end, if it works, it works. Lots of people think I am crazy doing the "split tube" method instead of real tubeless, but it works well for me as long as I don't try to use ultralight tires with weak sidewalls. I've been tubeless for 4 years, using Stans strips, and "split tubes" and have never burped a tire, so for me it works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just got back from a ride on gnarly, rooty, rain rutted single track with two friends that I did the Gorilla tubeless conversion and we are all good. No leaks, flats or burps.

I did increase my pressure from 28F and 30R to 30 and 35 since I felt my rear rim bottom out last week. Not hard enough to do any damage but I felt it.

E !

my experience

sun rhyno lite rims and kenda nevegals dtc.(non ust.)
    Gorilla tape method = sucky results. Did a short ride and it burped all to hell. They were well sealed. Lost no air sitting in garage a few days. First trail ride was total failure. went from 35 psi to about 10 psi in one ride from rolling typical desert trails. LAME

29 some of the time...
    E !, lots of variables (aka things to go wrong) on a tubeless conversion.

One constant remains:
    sucky materials + poor implementation = sucky results
    Conversely:
    good materials + careful installation = success (usually)

Personally I wouldn't use a nevegal as they have such thin sidewalls. Of course I am 240lb and ride is rocks about 80% of the time. Was the tire new or used? How was the fit onto the rim? Did you use 1 or 2 layers of tape? How wide was your tape?

Always Learning
    Thanks for the updates...I decided to try it with "Tubeless Ready" tires on my WTB Speed Disc AM 29 rims and Mavic UST Valves.

Yes the WTB rims use "International Bead Seat" on their Laser and Speed Disc rims, its seems to really hold on to tire beads tight. The 1" wide roll of Gorilla Tape is the perfect width for LaserDisc Trail and Speed Disc AM's.

I've been a bit limited on my rides due to trail closures (fire hazard extreme due to dry and hot summer) but I have gotten about a half dozen rides and had zero issues.
    I would be curious to hear some advice opinions on how adventuresome or risk taking I could be trying the Gorilla Tape conversion method on a couple of 29"er specific rims. I've got the Blunts and the Delgado Discs (wider XC rims) that I currently run converted using Stans Freeride 26" strips or the split tube ghetto method (both work just fine). Would it be worth it to mess around with one or both of these rims to give the G.Tape a shot. Curious what the tape method weight would be for a 700c rim (tape and valve weight) compared to the Freeride or split tube weight? Freeride strips are not light. I also use center channel fill (foam weatherstripping) on both of these rims with the Stans Freeride strips to keep the rimstrip from sagging down and pulling away from the rim wall cavity. Sounds like that would not be needed with the Gorilla Tape. Perhaps 2 layers of Gorilla Tape to get everything nice and snug for quick sealing and easy airing up.

Thoughts anyone? Would dropping the split tube ghetto method or the Freeride strip conversion method be worth it for the Gorilla Tape method to shave at least part of the strip's weight from the conversion equation?

BB

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Thoughts anyone? Would dropping the split tube ghetto method or the Freeride strip conversion method be worth it for the Gorilla Tape method to shave at least part of the strip's weight from the conversion equation?

BB
    Good question. Gorilla tape isn't light either when looking at it by the inch I would guess that it is close to the weight of the split inner tube. I suppose weather strip plus freeride kit does give some wiggle room on weight. But it does add a bit more tire and rim compatibility to the equation. I think the split tube is about the most secure of the tubeless methods. Gorilla tape has worked well for me, but I am using UST tires with a thick casing so burping hasn't been an issue.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Good question. Gorilla tape isn't light either when looking at it by the inch I would guess that it is close to the weight of the split inner tube. I suppose weather strip plus freeride kit does give some wiggle room on weight. But it does add a bit more tire and rim compatibility to the equation. I think the split tube is about the most secure of the tubeless methods. Gorilla tape has worked well for me, but I am using UST tires with a thick casing so burping hasn't been an issue.
    I would agree that the split tube method is probably the most secure burping wise. Its fault is in remounting tires...I've done it but the tube shifts and its a bit of a PITA. A double sided tape may be the solution here but I haven't tried it...I'd love to hear if anyone has. What I like about the Gorilla Tape is I can literally remove a tire, clean the rim, and install another tire. But I do believe there are a lot of variables here with both rims and tires. The WTB rims have a nice profile that actually mimics the Mavic UST rims with a nice shelf for the tire beads to lock in. Other brands don't have this...as we've seen in this thread, one user has had issues with the Rhyno Lite. Also, my "Tubeless Ready" tires seated up and stayed air tight with no issues while I've since gone and threw a new set of Kenda Klaws and it has been more troublesome. No burps so far, but the tire casing has lots of pin holes that took some time to seal. Of course, this would be an issue on the split tube method as well so its more the tire than the conversion.

ouch....
    Well, after trying the stans kit (didn't seem to fit the rim very well, WTB Laserdisc trails) I decided to go the DIY route.

I did the front tire tonight with no issues. Used the gorilla tape to seal the rims, had a bontrager valve from my old bike, so tossed it in. Tire is an actual UST bluegroove because that's what I had laying around. Dry run with no sealant, aired up perfectly. So pulled the bead off a small part & put in stan's sealant & aired up again. So far so good.
    Will get a good ride on it tomorrow...if all goes well I will do the rear, but try a non-UST nevegal.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast