mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Good xc tubeless tires for hardtail 26 er

Greetings group, I just joined the community and here is my first question.
    i currently own Swalbe Racing Ralph tires on my hardtail Merida 26 mountain bike. The tires work reasonably well in packed terrain and even in somewhat muddy conditions. It gives you speed.
    Nonetheless, it is now almost summer in the southern hemisphere and the terrain is dusty, soft and sandy at times. I would describe the tires as la king any grip under these conditions. I have tasted dust twice in the last three weeks and I think I had enough of it. i am planning on moving on to some good tubeless tires with good grip on soft and sandy terrain. Perhaps Maxxis Rancheros would do the job. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Guillermo who is recovering from severe gravity effect

enviado por Tapatalk HD

no trees are safe
    You could try and WTB WeirWolf, or perhaps Kenda Telonix. Or you could go with WTB velociraptor. These tyres will have higher rolling resistance on hardpack though

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Continental Race King 2.2, racesport. High volume, lightweight, and fast rolling tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Specialized Eskar, Purgatory , excellent side knobs rail the dusty corners.Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thank you guys WTBs were not on my top of mind. i might consider it.

enviado por Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Specialized Eskar, Purgatory , excellent side knobs rail the dusty corners.Specialized Bicycle Components
    I second the eskars, fast rolling, but with nice side knobs for grip. They are really good if you want speed and grip... only "downside" is if you like transitional knobs (I don't).

mtbr member
    I run a Spesh Renegade 1.9 on the rear and a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 on the front - both tubeless on Stans Alpines. Seems like a decent combination - the Renegade is very light and fast rolling while the Rocket Ron gives good grip.

mtbr member
    Specy tires are great and are "2Bliss" ready.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Specialized Caption Control. Love'em

mtbr member
    I have been thinking of getting a Captain Control for the front to ride this winter.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Now broadcasting from CO
    Maxxis Ignitors are some of my favorite tires. Not the most voluminous, but they stick to everything (including some mud) and roll reasonably fast. If you want something bigger, consider the Maxxis Ardent or maybe the Schwalbe Nobby Nic. All of them are great tires. I would recommend the Specialized Ground Control over the Captain, but that's just my opinion.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Caption control

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i would like to share my experience so far. I ended up buying a Maxxis advantage LUST for the front wheel and Maxxis Ignitor LUST for the rear wheel.
    Of course, I also added stan's miraculous elixir in both tires.
    I hit the trail twice this weekend for a total of 35 km in what are quite technical trails.

The Advantage tire provides very good grip in loose terrain but is not so friendly when going uphill. It is very sticky. The Ignitor is similar to the racing Ralph in terms of speed but provides additional grip. I think I got a good combination but time will tell. The sidewalls of both tires look very strong and I expect good behavior when hitting rocks
    Cheers.

enviado por Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Ecliptico; 12-23-2012 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    If you can still find them, my favorite all arounder for years has been Panaracer Trailblaster UST. Natural rubber so they don't hold up as long in the sun but the treadwear and traction are very consistent and favorable.

mtbr member
    I personally really like the Schwalbe Nobby Nic upfront--excellent trade off between smooth rolling and bite. And if that's not enough, the Kenda Nevegal is off course a traction monster, though I find it slow.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    Continental Race King 2.2, racesport. High volume, lightweight, and fast rolling tires.
    Personally I /HATE/ my Cont. RKs!
    When turning they feel unsafe at any PSI, the pattern isn't to my liking at all due to that.

I went back to Maxxis highrollers and they feel just as fast as the RK, yet they handle better when cornering.