mtbr member
    Jul 2009

good tire size setup? new tire suggestions

I am looking to get new tires, I currently still have stock maxxis ignitor 2.1 on front and rear. they were good tires but my rear is worn down. I want to step up to at least a 2.3 in the front. I ride mostly technical singletrack trails in new england (western MA). what are good tire size combos? 2.5-front/2.3-rear, 2.3-front/2.1-rear, or 2.3 front & rear? I was looking at the WTB Prowler MX 2.3 for a front but still not sure on a good rear tire?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If your front Ignitor is still in good shape, one option is to move it to the rear and install a new front tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was actually thinking of doing that initially to see if I like the 2.3/2.1 combo

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryin View Post
    I was actually thinking of doing that initially to see if I like the 2.3/2.1 combo
    I rode the 2.3/2.1 Ignitor combo....for the rough trails around here I went to 2.3/2.3 Ignitors...

Basically 2.3 is about all that I can fit in the rear and if they had a 2.4 for the front I would use that.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by ryin View Post

It's worth trying. I ran the 2.1 Ignitor rear with a 2.25 Ardent front and it worked OK, though the Ignitor is a wee bit small for a 2.1 and isn't the best roller IMO.

If you want big, maybe the 2.4 Ardent up front with the 2.25 out the back. The 2.4 AdVantage is also a big, tall tyre.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....