mtbr member

Good replacement for Spec. Fast Trak / Purgatory combo

I'm currently looking for a good replacement from my current tires and needing some advice.

The tires on my old bike were a not so good Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 in the back and a heavy but solid Tioga DH 2.1 in the front. The new bike has Specialized Fast Track in the back and Specialized Purgatory 2.23 in the front.

I've noticed both specialized tires sliding and washing my front out more often than I used to have with my old setup. I don't think it's because the new tires are tubeleess (where I'm a newbie), just plain not good performant tires.

I'm about 220 lb and the terrain I usually ride has a lot of fluor-like dirt and when wet will create a sticky mass that used to saturate the Tioga DH tire design. Smooth, hard and slippery when wet ground are also good part of the usual ride. Rocky volcanic sharp rocks would be the secondary terrain I usually ride.

What would you think about getting a Minion DHF 2.4 on the front and possibly switching the Purgatory to the back? Another option maybe is a High Roller 2.1 in the back (not sure if a 2.35 will fit a Mojo HD) and then getting rid of both Specialized tires.

Additonally, I'd prefer the new tires to be tubeless and, if possible, not messing with trimming or so.

What do you guys you think about it? Any other models that will suit best?

Thanks
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 01-14-2013 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been hearing great things about a maxxis ardent front, ignitor rear. That's the setup I'm going to go with as well.
    I've heard awesome things about the DHF as well

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Schwalbe Hans Damph. Expensive to buy into but might work out cheaper on the long run. I don't personally use them but the 200+ guys I know swear by them. They also run them F & R so you can rotate front to back, assuming you have the clearance to do so.

Most tires seem designed for a 165 lb rider; just how it is. If you're 220 the list is short, and you can cross off most everything under about 850 grams.

jct
    mtbr member
    i'm your size and run an Ardent 2.4 front and a captain control 2.2....both on flows.

great combo!

Save Jesus
    there is a purgatory 2.2 and a new purgatory 2.3, but no such thing as a 2.23

my old purgatory 2.2 also seemed to have an occasional loose dirt wash out problem. I think the Bontrager XR4 is better about that. The hans dampf is probably the next step up.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you're sticking with Specialized, I think the Purgatory is a better front tire than rear. I like the new 2.3" better than the old 2.2", but they are pretty much the same width (at least mine are). I would suggest a Ground Control for the rear tire over the Purgatory or Fast Track. Since you're tubeless now, you can probably run a bit lower pressure (if you're not already) which should improve traction.

If you have rocky trails, I would steer clear of the S-Works versions and go with the Control instead.

mtbr member
    Currently have purgatory up front and ground control both tubeless on the rear of my Mojo SL, I like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Most people run the Purgatory in back and the Butcher in front. The new Enduros and Stumpys are mostly getting set up this way.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your suggestions.

By now I'm fairly disappointed of the Spec. tires to I basically want to skip to something else, at least on the front. 2.3 is the right size of what I'm running.

Something in the Maxxis line (Ardent or Minion DHF) is the most probable thing to happen. The Schwalbe looks like a good tire too, but pretty hard to find in my country. And the Purgatory to go in the rear.