Just Ride

good quality, lighitish weight easy to set up tubeless, high volume 29er tire?

Looking for some recommendations. Good cornering grip on hardpack to lose dirt, some sand and occasional gravel. My SS came with nevagals and besides being heavy tires, they tend to brake lose on the steeper climbs. Also they have zero grip over roots and rocks.

Looking for higher volume that can be set up tubeless to allow for some cushion and better grip! But with so many options, and limited cash flow, I'd rather not waste money on a guess!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Formerly of Kent
    Nevegals have more traction than 90% of the tires out there...provided you run them at the right pressure.

Just Ride
    They do corner well. Maybe they are at to high a pressure. I'm assuming they can be ran tubeless? Just need the rim strip and sealant for my wheels?

mtbr member
    I run my 2.35 F/R at 25psi-Rear and 23psi-Front tubeless UST Nevegals. Never had a problem, although it is heavy. I used the method on notubes website for calculating tire pressure by riding weight. Works for me.

Rider Weight in pounds divided by 7 = x
    x - 1 = Front tire pressure in PSI
    x + 2 = Rear tire pressure in PSI

Just Ride
    F = 29
    R = 31

eh...I was thinking more like starting out at 22 psi or so.

Well after reading some reviews and one of them recommended pairing with SB8 in the rear. I'm gonna try that. I have a pair of SB8s hanging in the garage that I took off my old bike in favor of some Bontrager XR4s. Never really did trust them in the corners. But I remember the SB8s did climb well. So that's one of the things I'm looking for. At some point in the next few days I'll be ordering a stans conversion kit.
    Last edited by Cormac; 05-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Looking for some recommendations. Good cornering grip on hardpack to lose dirt, some sand and occasional gravel. My SS came with nevagals and besides being heavy tires, they tend to brake lose on the steeper climbs. Also they have zero grip over roots and rocks.

Looking for higher volume that can be set up tubeless to allow for some cushion and better grip! But with so many options, and limited cash flow, I'd rather not waste money on a guess!
    Big volume, fast combo

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front (weighs about 680g)
    Specialized Renegade 2.3 rear (Control version is cheaper and weighs 620g)

Or plush, fast better grip

Ikon 2.35 front and rear

Big volume, fast and sure grip

Schalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 front and rear
    or Schalbe Racing Ralph 2.35 rear

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

good quality, lighitish weight easy to set up tubeless, high volume 29er tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    F = 29
    R = 31

eh...I was thinking more like starting out at 22 psi or so.

Well after reading some reviews and one of them recommended pairing with SB8 in the rear. I'm gonna try that. I have a pair of SB8s hanging in the garage that I took off my old bike in favor of some Bontrager XR4s. Never really did trust them in the corners. But I remember the SB8s did climb well.
    People often don't run nevegal in the rear because they have nearly the worst rolling resistance of any tire. Its very noticeable. They do have extremely good grip though. I highly doubt sb8 will have more grip than the nevegal so I don't really see how that fits with what you want.

I wouldn't really say a nevegal is a hardpack tire though. Sb8, racing Ralph, race king, etc all are.

Just Ride
    I played around with the pressure and am running 26 or so front and rear with tubes in the nevagal. Will be looking at new tires in about a week or so. Helped a lot on the climbs! And they still corner well. In the meantime I'm heading out to the garage soon to attempt a tubeless conversion. Which will no doubt end in stans sealant all over the place and me very pissed off! But, still worth a shot!

QUOTE=BruceBrown;10378684]Big volume, fast combo

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front (weighs about 680g)
    Specialized Renegade 2.3 rear (Control version is cheaper and weighs 620g)

Or plush, fast better grip

Ikon 2.35 front and rear

Big volume, fast and sure grip

Schalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 front and rear
    or Schalbe Racing Ralph 2.35 rear[/QUOTE]

Shame all those listed are only available in 26" at least as far as I can tell. And that's my fault I should have specified I was talking 29" tires.