mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Goathead solution?

Many areas west of the Mississippi have a terrible goathead problem. In case you don't know what a goathead is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

There are a couple of places I would like to ride, but the trails are full of goatheads. I'm not talking about a couple per mile, I'm talking about a situation where your tires end up with dozens of thorns embedded in the first 500 feet.

Has anyone come up with a tubeless tire setup that can withstand constant punctures for a 10-15 mile ride? The only thing I can think of that would work would be a tire with a kevlar strip under the the tread, combined with some kind of extra liner glued under the tread and sidewalls inside of the tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Many areas west of the Mississippi have a terrible goathead problem. In case you don't know what a goathead is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

There are a couple of places I would like to ride, but the trails are full of goatheads. I'm not talking about a couple per mile, I'm talking about a situation where your tires end up with dozens of thorns embedded in the first 500 feet.

Has anyone come up with a tubeless tire setup that can withstand constant punctures for a 10-15 mile ride? The only thing I can think of that would work would be a tire with a kevlar strip under the the tread, combined with some kind of extra liner glued under the tread and sidewalls inside of the tire.
    Downhill tires and twice the sealant as normal?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    Downhill tires and twice the sealant as normal?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Tubeless DH tires really are not much more puncture resistant than other tires. The tread is just rubber, and the thorns will go right through. The knobs may be a little bigger, but the thorns will get stuck in between the knobs.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any tubeless MTB tires with kevlar belts. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tire is said to work pretty well with tubes, but it is not tubeless, and the widest width is 2.25".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Tubeless DH tires really are not much more puncture resistant than other tires. The tread is just rubber, and the thorns will go right through. The knobs may be a little bigger, but the thorns will get stuck in between the knobs.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any tubeless MTB tires with kevlar belts. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tire is said to work pretty well with tubes, but it is not tubeless, and the widest width is 2.25".
    Are you currently running tubeless? What sealant are you using?

mtbr member
    Always just threw extra stan's in mine. Never really had any issues once I went tubeless about 15 years ago.

SS Pusher Man
    Tires with closer/tightly spaced knobs.....less space for thorns to penetrate.

Wide open tread patterns leave lot of casing space for thorns.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Are you currently running tubeless? What sealant are you using?
    I haven't even bothered to try the trail I am thinking of. The last time I hiked it, I had to continually scrape the goatheads off the bottom of my boots while I walked, and when I was done, there were literally hundreds of thorns embedded in the soles. I don't want to get miles in and find that I need to insert a tube, because a tube wouldn't last a minute.

I run Stan's in my current Schwalbe Nobby Nics. It has sealed a couple of punctures, but will it seal hundreds per tire?

mtbpete
    Sealant works great for round puncture holes and low pressure mtb tires. Holes in the sidewalls will not seal as quickly because the sealant spins to the center of the tire while you're rolling. I would add extra sealant and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Thicker, heavier tires do help. That and extra sealant seems like the best solution to me.

Even better would be to avoid those areas if at all possible, goatheads seem to mostly follow motor vehicles and livestock and even in really infested regions all the good trails are mostly free of them ime.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I want to ride to the dinosaur tracks at Picketwire Canyonlands in southeast Colorado. It is a miserable hike in summer not only because of heat, but because of mosquitoes and biting flies, but it would be an awesome, easy ride if there weren't goatheads. Last time I hiked it, I ended up walking over two hours in a horrendous surprise thunderstorm that had lightning hitting within 50 feet and the trail flooded out with 18 inches of water in places. On a bike, I would have been back at the trailhead in under 30 minutes and missed the storm completely.

Here is a blog from a guy who does ride there:
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=423087&v=7S