Just here for the ride =)

New question here. GMC Denali Road Bike Tubes

My GMC Denali Road Bike is having problems with holding air in the tubes (I've looked it up online and its a legit concern) and was wondering if its a problem with the pump because I dont want to do what others have done and go through 3 tubes in a couple months. Suggestions?
    GMC Denali Road Bike
    GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
    just ice it and tell the ladies you got in a fight with a biker gang while helping a nun cross the street.

Try GMC. Or roadbikereview. Or learn about how air naturally leaks out of tubes of all kinds...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

it shouldn't be natural for it to go flat in a few minutes with no hole when it's brand new
    GMC Denali Road Bike
    just ice it and tell the ladies you got in a fight with a biker gang while helping a nun cross the street.

So what did you determine was making it go flat? Is there a hole in the tube? Was it caused by a thorn or other pointy object stuck in your tire? Did you put insufficient pressure in the tire before riding it and it pinch-flatted? Is the tube's valve leaking? Do you know how to take a tire off the rim and inspect the rim strip, the interior of the tire or the tube itself? What exactly did you find online to believe this is an inherent problem with the tires/tubes that came with the bike let alone the replacement tubes you've provided since? What did GMC say about this obviously faulty product they're foisting upon you?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    So what did you determine was making it go flat? Is there a hole in the tube? Was it caused by a thorn or other pointy object stuck in your tire? Did you put insufficient pressure in the tire before riding it and it pinch-flatted? Is the tube's valve leaking? Do you know how to take a tire off the rim and inspect the rim strip, the interior of the tire or the tube itself? What exactly did you find online to believe this is an inherent problem with the tires/tubes that came with the bike let alone the replacement tubes you've provided since? What did GMC say about this obviously faulty product they're foisting upon you?
    Hehehehe, classic. My car stopped running because the gas tank ran out of gas....obviously a defective gas tank.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Old school BMXer
    In all seriousness, are you using air specified for your size of tires? You are using road bike air, right? Mountain bike air is prone to leaking. Also, make sure that when you're inflating the tires, the pump is set on either "FRONT" or "REAR." Some tires/tubes are particularly sensitive to this, as may be the case with your GMC.

If this still doesn't work, try rotating the air from front to back, and back to front. This should isolate if the problem is with the air or the tires and tubes themselves.

If all this fails, visit your local bike shop.

mtbr member
    I bet you put too much air in it and blew out the tube. Stay under 70psi with that tire/tube combo.

thanks guys all the replies especially the last couple helped a ton
    GMC Denali Road Bike

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnieos
    thanks guys all the replies especially the last couple helped a ton
    Glad you have a sense of humor.

mtbr member
    to be honest, walmart bikes = problems. you get what you pay for. i suggest investing in some new... everything. swap out everything from the handlebar to the pedals with aftermarket parts. just keep the frame. you probably wont run into much problems compared to if you keep riding on walmart parts. good luck.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    to be honest, walmart bikes = problems. you get what you pay for. i suggest investing in some new... everything. swap out everything from the handlebar to the pedals with aftermarket parts. just keep the frame. you probably wont run into much problems compared to if you keep riding on walmart parts. good luck.
    Is that bike really from WalMart? From the looks of it qualitywise, I thought it came from the GMC dealer

On a similar note, I Japan, there are a lot of cheapie Chevrolet and Hummer bicycles.

well the bike is a great ride and all i have no complaints there maybe just a new tube will do the trick but ya i might end up replacing more parts as i use it
    GMC Denali Road Bike

Old school BMXer
    When you remove the old tube, run your hand around the inside of the tire to make sure there are not thorns. Otherwise, if you put the new tube in, and there is still a thorn (glass, wire, etc.), your new tube will get a hole in it.

Also, check the rim to make sure it has a good rim strip and that it is centered on the rim. If the rim strip is missing or not centered, the tube may squeeze into one of the spoke nipple holes and eventually rupture.

Finally, remember that tires do lose air over time, and that you should probably check and adjust the air pressure once a week, especially if you're running around 110 psi, which is what I'm guessing is about what you're using (maximum may be listed anywhere from 110-130).

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    First, you need to check if there is anything in the tire. Rub your hand through it, observe it, and maybe even just get new tubes/tires. I work at a bike shop, and i have to deal w/ dilemmas like this all the time. Do you have a rim strip? If you have one, get a velox, they work the best and are the way to go. There also might be a defect or ding in your rim, therfor when weight is put on your rim, pop! There is a good chance you're just unlucky, and running over all sorts of sharp junk in the road.

AHA those are really good things to check
    GMC Denali Road Bike

mtbr member
    that bike is insanely heavy i think u shud lay of the gmc bikes. my HT weights a couple pounds less!!!
    That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
    by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it,"
    --A Democratic congressional candidate in Texas.