mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Giant Rims are they Tubeless ready?

I have a Giant X 29er0 with the Giant P-trx1 rims. I thought they were tubeless ready and so purchased some Racing Ralph tyres and Stans No Tubes, rim tape(yellow), valve an sealant. I followed Stans video and am at the stage trying to get air into it. I dont have the sealant in yet, I am just trying to get the tyres to expand using a floor pump (no compressor!) and they are not even moving just leaking air all over. So I am not sure if the rims are correct.

I am hoping overnight that the new tyres will expand out and I can get some air in them tomorrow. But in the meantime I am wondering if they are tubeless rims or just that its possible to fit tubeless using a different method

mtbr member
    On the website it says that the wheel-set is tubeless ready so you are good there.

Did you get the tubeless ready Racing Ralph tires? Sometimes you must use an air compressor to get it to seat the beads.

mtbr member
    You are using a generous amount of soapy water around the beads right...this is critical to help things get the beads to seat. Also, you are using the tubeless ready Racing Ralphs Evolution line and not the Performance line which are not tubeless ready?

If all other things are right, just remember that "Tubeless Ready" is not a standard (like UST) so just because a manufacturer claims something is tubeless ready doesn't means it will work easily. Sometimes a compressor is needed despite having tubeless ready tires and rims.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A floor pump ain't gonna cut it, you need a compressor.

Slower But Faster
    If the OP doesn't have access to a compressor, try inflating the tyre with a tube in it* then unmount one bead of the tyre only leaving the other mounted, remove the tube, fit your tubeless valve core and inflate until the other bead catches. Lube the beads of the tyre up with soapy water helps too, standard practice when mounting any automotive tyres (car, truck, earthmover).

*This also helps really press the Stans tape down firmly too if left overnight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks to you all. I have double checked everything and am using correct tyres and soapy water. So I am putting it down to the compressor. I will try to adapt a valve up. Otherwise I will try the tube idea.
    I thought it may have been also the fact the the tyres were folded, but I left overnight and still getting the same result.
    Thanks
    Again

Slower But Faster
    Fitting the tyres up with a tube overnight will help straighten out the beads of folding bead tyres which will in turn help with getting them to seat tubeless.