mtbr member
    May 2012

New question here. Geax TNT WTB Frquency Blow-Off

I was trying to seat my Geax TNT Saguaro onto my WTB i19 rim today. It had a stubborn dip in the bead and I couldn't work it out with my hands. I figured I would try to put 60 psi with a tube into it to try and get it to seat (I know, probably not the best technique). Well, at 60, it blew off the rim.

I inspected the tube and it had a long gash typical of a blowout. I've been running it for a few weeks, so I don't think it's defective. The tire bead looks completely normal and when I tried to mount again to asses the damage, it still required a plastic tire lever to get the final bit onto the rim.

One ting should add - I was using a 26 inch tube (gotta use them up, right ). I've been using them for a while now with 29" wheels with no problems. Not sure if this could have contributed to the blowoff.

My question is, do you think there might be a problem with the rim? And, given how the tire is still tight (its Geax TNT), would you consider it safe to run it tubeless? I know that if this occurs with a tubeless install it is not a good idea, but given that this might have come from the tube, might this be different (wishful thinking, perhaps)?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Geax TNT WTB Frquency Blow-Off

I have been running a Geax Gato tubeless on an i23 rim and a Geax Saguaro tubeless on a WTB LaserDisc rim for some time. Both were a bit tight to get on the rims but have been trouble free. And I really like these tires -- high volume, good tread patterns, durable. Both running with Stan's liquid. Hope this might help you a bit in deciding how to proceed.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by vincavinz View Post
    I was trying to seat my Geax TNT Saguaro onto my WTB i19 rim today. It had a stubborn dip in the bead and I couldn't work it out with my hands. I figured I would try to put 60 psi with a tube into it to try and get it to seat (I know, probably not the best technique). Well, at 60, it blew off the rim.

I inspected the tube and it had a long gash typical of a blowout. I've been running it for a few weeks, so I don't think it's defective. The tire bead looks completely normal and when I tried to mount again to asses the damage, it still required a plastic tire lever to get the final bit onto the rim.

One ting should add - I was using a 26 inch tube (gotta use them up, right ). I've been using them for a while now with 29" wheels with no problems. Not sure if this could have contributed to the blowoff.

My question is, do you think there might be a problem with the rim? And, given how the tire is still tight (its Geax TNT), would you consider it safe to run it tubeless? I know that if this occurs with a tubeless install it is not a good idea, but given that this might have come from the tube, might this be different (wishful thinking, perhaps)?

Thanks in advance!
    Sounds typical of getting the tube caught under the tire bead rather than a tire/rim problem.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Shiggy, do you think it is safe to use tubeless now?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

No idea. I can not inspect the tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I personally won't run a tire that has had the bead blown off on an install. I run only tubeless.

I only have great things to say about Geax TNT setting up tubeless. I will admit they are a tight fit. I'd rather have a tight fit than a loose one.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.