mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Geax Saguaro vs Kenda Slant Six 29er

Anyone have experience with both of these tires? Which is grippier? I can't tell which is a nobbier tire from the pictures. I ride XC/Singletrack and looking to replace the Rapid Robs on my bike. Which would be a better replacement?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have not ridden either. But looking at the tread design, I noticed a few things:

On the Geax, the raised lip around the center knobs will probably wear out pretty fast, and there goes the extra surface area they provided.

Knob-wise, they are pretty close. I'd say the Kendas, with the spaced pattern, are probably more grippy than the Geax tires, which are probably faster.

The Kendas have sipes on all of the blocks, which won't wear out as fast, and provide added surface area to stick to terrain.

What are you riding on usually, trail surface-wise?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Richgsr View Post
    Anyone have experience with both of these tires? Which is grippier? I can't tell which is a nobbier tire from the pictures. I ride XC/Singletrack and looking to replace the Rapid Robs on my bike. Which would be a better replacement?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich
    The Sugaro is a bit more aggressive. A pretty good all-rounder in the dry. The tread is long wearing (the "raised lip" does not wear off quickly) but I think that contributes to it not gripping rock slabs as well as some other tires.

Have not spent much time on the Kenda. It is not as good on looser terrain. Not ridden it on rock.

I really like the Rapid Rob tread (same as the last generation Racing Ralph) and prefer it over either of the above.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I like my sags, but prefer my racing ralphs. Lighter and grippier and still fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The saguaro geax is a really grippy good tire in black dirt, rocks and hardpack. I slashed one last summer and they are heavy especially the TNT version.

Warrior's Society
    Have run both.

Prefer the Saguaro. Better traction in most conditions. Weight is comparable in the non-TNT 2.2 version vs the 2.2 Slant6.

I found the Slant6 wore out pretty quick. While it worked pretty well for the first 20% or so of the tire life....after that it becomes pretty useless. Think I got about 4 weeks of So Cal. rock and hardpack out of it.

Currently have a Saguaro on the rear of my SS with an extra for when it wears out.

This has been my experience......I have only run these 2 tires in the rear....I don't know how they work as a front tire.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

It ain't easy being Green
    Have used both, extensively. Slant 6 doesn't work for me up front, it regularly gives me the feeling that it's going to break away in corners; it rarely actually _does_ let go but I don't like the feeling. I use them in back all the time on my trail bike and I have been surprised at how capable and grippy they are even in dusty loose climbs; in the same conditions downhill it sometimes slides around on the brakes but never to the point that I don't like it. Up front I love the Saguaro, it's "confidence encased in rubber". Yes, it's heavy (I run 29er TNT) and it's a total PITA to mount on Stans rims but IMO it's well worth the hassle.

Trail Prospector
    Opinions are highly subjective, and until ridden - input is worthless.
    (used only as a rear) Have found the Saguaro to be fast, and grippy on all but uber slimy roots.
    It always drifts before the front (Ardent or Ra-Ra 2.4's), and is predictable.
    Durability has been good, tread lasts forever, and sliced sidewalls delivered the KO.

At 210# it's mostly about volume, Saguaro has more than Slant 6, or Ra-Ra 2.25.
    Use the regular version tubeless on Flows mostly on loose /hard.
    Didn't like / trust the Slant 6 tubeless, the Ra-Ra was worn after 300 mi.,
    so I've ditched & switched both, now back to a Saguaro, Race King, and a Gato when wet.
    YMMV
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

turtles make me hot
    I've run both as well and liked both.
    I've only run both of them as a rear tire. The Saguaro doesn't wear out... Ever.
    I like the Slant Six when the trails are dry, hard and fast. The Slant Six wear quickly.
    Here's what I found with the Saguaro: In the traction position, it grabs sticks, tosses them into the wheel and destroys expensive X0 derailleurs. I spun it around to speed and noticed almost no difference in grip.
    I'm currently running a Tioga Psycho Genius on the rear and likin' it.
    I like turtles

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I've run both as well and liked both.
    I've only run both of them as a rear tire. The Saguaro doesn't wear out... Ever.
    I like the Slant Six when the trails are dry, hard and fast. The Slant Six wear quickly.
    Here's what I found with the Saguaro: In the traction position, it grabs sticks, tosses them into the wheel and destroys expensive X0 derailleurs. I spun it around to speed and noticed almost no difference in grip.
    I'm currently running a Tioga Psycho Genius on the rear and likin' it.
    Yeah, what he said^^ about direction on the Saguaro; even on the front I run it in "speed" with total confidence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    taggged
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ran the slant six up front for a bit and thought it was only slightly better than the SB8. It's more rounded than most tires, which is weird.