mtbr member

Good job! Geax Lobo Loco and Sturdy testing.

Been trying out some new tires on the Motolite lately.

First tried out the 2.3 Lobo Loco on a trip to Gooseberry/Oregon/Moab/ and back to AZ.
    I really like this tire. It sealed up well ghetto tubeless, and has a tough sidewall. So far have ridden it at Gooseberry Mesa, a few rides in Oregon, 2 rides in Moab including "The Whole Enchilada", and several rides here in Tucson Mountain Park.

It is wearing very well so far!! It looks like it only has a couple rides on it. It is a slightly round profile tire. It seems to not have any dead spots when cornering. Some tires seem to have a spot where they slide, then grip again when you get over further. These seem predictable all the way through a corner. The sidewalls are holding up well to some pretty serious abuse. They are probably closer to a 2.2 size. Not sure how they would do on the rear, but I think they would work fine. Probably they would wear faster on the back. All in all, they compare very well to the Rampages I was using. I think they have about the same traction, but better wear. They also roll quite well. Using 27psi.

Next I put on the 2.1 Sturdy on the rear also ghetto tubeless.28psi. These things climb really well. I cleaned some climbs today that really surprised me. The first ride on them, I did not know that my shock had sprung a leak, and I was blaming the tires. I was spinning out, and the front was lifting and wandering, and I was having to go back and redo hills that I normally clean. I was all over the place. About the time I was cussing the tire, I look down and see that I am using up about 2/3 of my shock travel just sitting on the bike. So off home I limp to put in the seal kit that I luckily had already ordered.

Next ride with the proper shock pressure was a different ballgame. The tire got traction up everything really well. I cleaned some hills that I had not made before. They were very impressive!! They are also wearing really well too. I would like to try the 2.25 size now. I went with the 2.1 because some said the 2.25 is a tight squeeze on the Motolite, but I have 10mm of clearance above the 2.1, so I think it would fit. I wonder how the 2.25 would do on the front?

All in all, I am very pleased with both tires. They seal up well, have tough sidewalls, and good wear characteristics, along with good traction. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

mtbr member
    I like the Lobo Loco on the front, but not the back. The Sturdy has been a great tire, front or back. Both have very strong sidewalls, as you mentioned. Although mine are the UST versions.

I have since switched the Sturdy on the back to a Schwalbe Albert with the Loco still on the front...great durability, grip and rolling resistance.