Thread: Geax goma

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Geax goma

Anyone give these a tires try yet? Who has them in stock?

I just got one to use as a front tire. Went with the 29 x 2.4 foldable version, as it seemed to be the lighest (at a svelt 800g). Just weighed it last night and it was about 900g on the dot. Didn't think margin of error would be at 100g, but oh well. Looks beefier than the Ardent 2.4 it replaces, but haven't ridden on it, so can't comment on the ride.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Geax goma

Scored a pair of 27.5 TNTs for 40 each from bike tires direct. Waiting for them to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    27.5- 2.2 or 2.25 not sure. Very good traction and direction on loose 1''- 2'' ball bearing rocks and rolls good on soft hard pack. They corner like crazy when condition are good. But they scare the fck out of me(They try to kill me) When wet. Not enough contact patch just the tips of the tread touching the rocks and to skippy on diagonal-roots. had to run then to low on psi for those condition.

Short-Change-Hero
    I picked up a 2.25x29 version a few weeks ago. Hadn't had a chance to get it out on the trail until yesterday, riding since then has just been commuting back and forth to work.

Setup is GEAX Gato 2.3" up front with the Goma 2.25" in the back. Front is set at 15PSI currently (tubed, needs to be raised to 20ish though) and 22PSI rear. I live in No NV so have all of the world renowned Lake Tahoe trails in my backyard. Rode Emigrant Trail (XC/Trail) yesterday for a total of 24miles. This was the first time I had the Goma on dirt and was very impressed with it. Never broke it loose unless I meant to, traction climbing over rock gardens and loose over hard was stellar. When I got it, I had it weighed at my LBS and came in at 820g for the foldable (which is about right from the website). Was hoping that it would come in closer to my Gato (2.3" AM) at 700g but oh well the weight difference from my 2.25Purg Control 2bliss and GEAX Saguaro 2.25" was not noticeable.

Climbing this thing just grabbed whatever was there, never once did I feel like I was skipping, spinning or missing out. The tire just clawed up whatever I was on and I had some very loose rockgardens to climb on this trail as we have had little wet weather this year so the trails are very dusty. In the loose over hard sections again, the outer knobs just seemed to punch through the dust to the bottom and really grab a hold of whatever was there. Only time I skipped/spun was when I got too much weight off the back tire during a climb but even that was just a momentary spin and then she just climbed.

Descending this this was a rockstar!!! I was used to the strange void section when leaning the bike over from the Purg as there was that transition between the center and side knobs (which is why I really didnt like the purg). This does have a void, dont get me wrong, but the transition is much more predictable and there is no sudden let loose or grab. When going around loose corners at speed I could feel the tire slowly, predictably starting to let loose and could compensate by adjusting my balance or scrubbing a bit of speed. Even those few times where I would ping off a rock, the tire did not suddenly let loose, I was actually startled by the sound of the rock being shot off as I would slide down it because I never felt any traction loss.

Rolling resistance on everything was pretty standard. The tire did not feel exceptionally fast but at the same time it did not seem like I was seriously lugging a huge weight behind me. Rolling was smooth and seamless, again feeling the general transition between the center knobs and the outer knobs as the traction would slowly and predictably start to go away.

Setup on my Stan's Flow (OG) rims was actually quite easy. I am running tubed but have had a b*tch of a time getting my other GEAX tires on and off the rims as the folding bead are quite tight and take irons and lots of cussing to get them on/off. These slipped on fairly easily, still requiring irons but no where near the effort the others had taken. Since these are not the TNT I have not setup tubeless yet as the TNT version WILL NOT fit on BST beadseat rims. Not that big of a deal for me as I am not a weight weeny and do not measure grams for savings.

One thing that I have found out about GEAX tires is you should ALWAYS run them at low pressures. For some reason they really come alive at lower pressures and I have a feeling that it has to do with the rounded casing profile. Unlike most tire casings, the GEAX tires really use a more round profile so if you run at higher pressures you really only get the center knobs. Other way to remedy this is to run them on wide rims. My Flows measure at 28mm wide so at low 20s, high teens my tires spread out pretty well to involve the entire tread pattern.

For around here I think my setup of the Gato front and Goma rear is going to be killer no matter where I go. This setup just seems, for me, to hook up on anything I throw at it, drifts predictably when I want it too and otherwise is just a great setup. This will be going on my new trailbike that I am in the process of building (Hammerhead Bikes Thumper) so I am stoked to see how it does on a Full Squish bike vs. my current steel HT (On-One Inbred 29r).

Some picture stoke.
    Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member

Excellent tires!

I agree with a lot that "gregnash" said above.

I was using the Ardent 29x2.4, and just switched to the standard Goma 29x2.4 tires on Stans Flow EX rims on my R.I.P.-9. I love this tire! It actually rolls better than the Ardent!

I ride rocky, chunky, technical trails in AZ. The Goma's have a very thick sidewall just like the Ardent 2.4, (which is much thicker than the Ardent 2.25.) They roll fast without resorting to ridiculous ramps, which means in the rear, you get excellent climbing, AND braking traction. Much better climbing traction than the Ardent. Cornering is also much better than the Ardent, as the narrow side knobs on the Ardent would fold over on hardpack. The Goma is very predictable. It also wears quite well.

I used the standard version because the TNT's are too tight for Flow rims. It went on nice and tight, and sealed excellently. Holds air really well with almost no loss, and no seepage.

As gregnash stated, GO LOW! They have thick sidewalls and high volume. About one or two mm more volume than the Ardent. I weigh 190 pounds and am using 18psi front, 21psi rear, on very rocky trails.

Lets see, thick sidewalls, good sealing, excellent braking, cornering, and climbing traction, and very good wear and durability. What else could you want? Cheaper maybe, but $50 is competitive. These will be my go to tire for as long as they make them! Here it is compared to the Ardent. Geax goma-sam_0870_zps2a14ff4a.jpg
    Geax goma-sam_0867_zps738c99e1.jpg
    Geax goma-sam_0871_zpsfcfaab0b.jpg
    Geax goma-sam_0868_zps58fdefaf.jpg
    Geax goma-sam_0872_zpsc6c17e27.jpg
    Geax goma-sam_0869_zpscb1dc93e.jpg

change is good
    Sep 2004

Geax goma

So far I like these tires. Roll well for knobbies. The 2.4 on the front has great grip with 16lbs. I punctured the 2.25 rear which surprised me. I blame a combination of my weight and poor style, although now I know why the heavy casing enduro tires exist. The 2.25 doesn't fare as well on wet rocks as I hoped which is typical around here. It does perform well on wet roots. In the winter I'll probably go with a Magic Mary/2.25 Hans Dampf combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I just got one to use as a front tire. Went with the 29 x 2.4 foldable version, as it seemed to be the lighest (at a svelt 800g). Just weighed it last night and it was about 900g on the dot. Didn't think margin of error would be at 100g, but oh well. Looks beefier than the Ardent 2.4 it replaces, but haven't ridden on it, so can't comment on the ride.
    I've ridden all summer on these and cannot say enough good things about them. Excellent traction, predictable handling and robust construction. I actually just purchased another one locally, as it was a ridiculous deal. The weight was at 790g, so little under advertised. Surprising there is 110g difference between the two exact same tires.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I have found that GEAX tires usually very pretty largely between tires. Mine came in at 820g so that is not too bad.

I recently dumped this on my new HH Thumper FS trail rig with the Schwalbe Pacestar Rocket Ron on the rear. So far has been a great tire and running tubed it is doing great at about 25psi. I rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago with this setup and it did really well. Actually, a couple days after getting back my buddy and I went for a local ride and I noticed a wobble in my front rim, figured it was just carnage from the Toad's ride. Ended up being that I was running such low pressure in the front that I actually had some rock (granite gravel) get inbetween the rim bead and the sidewall and push the tire out but never caused an issue.

Thinking of grabbing the 2.4 version for up front with the 2.25 in the back, but since I do a lot of climbing I really appreciate the low weight of the RoRo in the rear. Taking the bike to Steamboat Springs, CO in a few weeks so will give a bit of a report after that.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.