Single(Pivot)and Happy

Geax Barro Mountain 2.3 TNT

I just got back from my first ride on the Geax Barro 2.3 TNT on my front wheel. A 5.5 mile test loop, loose over hardpack, moderate climbing and descending. I had been using a Conti Vertical UST up front.

The Barro measures 2.25 at the tread, the same as the 2.3 Vertical UST. The Barro casing is 2.110, the Conti is 1.990. Tire height: Barro- 2.20; Vertical- 2.110. Weight: Barro= 706 grams; Vertical= 818 grams.

The Barro is harder to mount onto my CrossMax SL wheel than the Conti. Once mounted, the Barro aired up with a floor pump, no suds. I put 2 ozs. homebrew sealant in, let sit overnight with 50psi. Next morning, 50 psi.

Hit the trail with 30psi. Much less rolling resistance than the Conti. Hooks up nice in sweeping turns, no wallow. I will give a in depth review in a few more rides. First impression: me likey!
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice , I'm going to try that as a rear tire with a loco lobo up front.

mtbr member
    I ride the same tire out in colorado but in the 2.1 size. it rolls real good, works extremely well on hard pack, but is terrible in the sand. Other than that, this is a real good tire. i recommend it to anybody who rides intermediate to hard pack terrian. if you ride loose terrain, stay away.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What don't you like about the Conti Vertical? I have one that I've been waiting to put on for awhile. Right now I run a TNT Barro on the rear and a Cinder on the front. The Barro is okay but the Cinder slides all over the place on loose packed trails which seems is everywhere that I ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've used a Barro TNT 2.3 I would say it is ok tyre but not great. I find it is quite fast and the grip is ok in the dry but it does not like wet conditions and is terrible on wet/muddy roots and rocks (where other tyres are just ok). I would only recommend running it as a rear for me it does not have enouogh grip or steering direction to run as a front. In addition there does not seem to be any difference in grip when running it in the forward (speed) and reverse (traction) directions so I just run it in the speed direction. Rather than an all-mountain tyre I would view the tyre more as a semi-slick it performs well on the rear for those sorts of conditions .

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree with you on the Barro TNT, I'm going to remove mine and put the Cinder 2.25 on the rear and the Conti Vertical 2.3 on the front.

Single(Pivot)and Happy

3 week Test Result

I've got around 100 miles on the Geax Barro 2.3 TNT. I have found that for me and my trail conditions (Socal loose over hardpack, granite, loose rocks) that the Barro 2.3 handles very well.

I first tested the tire at 30psi and found the tire a little squirrely. 40psi and traction suffered. I found, for me (180 lbs.), 34psi to be the magic number.

Downhill corners at speed felt confident when going from transition knobs to side knobs. Not as positive as Conti Verticals or Kenda Nevegals, but I never washed out. Way, way faster than the two previous mentioned tires.

I must add that I put the Nevegal back on while I was up at Big Bear for 1-1/2 weeks. The extra traction of the Neve made up for the rolling resistance and weight (300 grams).

Overall, I would recommend this tire. And for $25.00, it's a hell of a deal!
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.