mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Geax AKA 2.2" F/R or AKA (R) + Segauro (F)?

Any experiences with a Geax AKA 2.2 running front and rear?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Any experiences with a Geax AKA 2.2 running front and rear?

I ran them for a while as a rear tire on my singlespeed. Just the regular 29x2.2 version....not TNT.

Hooked up really well in all conditions here in So. Cal.

Tried it for one ride as a front, but found the shoulder knobs didn't inspire too much confidence....they were a little to soft and would fold over when you really leaned the bike.

I did find that they wore out way too fast. Went through 2 of them each lasting about 4-6 weeks
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got an Airborne New Goblin for Christmas which came with the AKA 29x2.2 front & rear, I was a little skeptical at first but was impressed after my first ride. I live in south Alabama, so there's lots of wet roots, sand, loose over hardpack, mud, etc...
    On dry/ semi-dry trail riding, no problems what so ever. After a little bit of the H2O, stuff got a little different...lots of slipping across roots, cornering went south as well when a bit of mud was present.
    I'm waiting on funds to get new tires....I pretty much have to have traction for wetness. I'm not a mud rider by any means, but trails stay moist for days after rain. I reversed the rear tire to see if it would help at all on the root slides, but have yet to hit the trails with that setup.
    I would love for these tires to work for me, they are fast...and are great for dry trail riding. Maybe someone in a dryer climate has some meatier rubber they want to trade?
    Hope my "long-winded"ness helps !
    "What do you ride?"
    I ride a Goblin....it's ok though, I'm a wizard!

mtbr member

I love the AKAs. They are fast. I just switched to a front saguaro but haven't tried it yet. Hope to tomorrow. It is the TNT version.

The AKA was bad on the front but I could feel it slipping at times. I will report back the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I love the AKAs. They are fast. I just switched to a front saguaro but haven't tried it yet. Hope to tomorrow. It is the TNT version.

The AKA was bad on the front but I could feel it slipping at times. I will report back the difference.

Anxious to hear how you like the Saguaro! Are you 26" or 29"?
    (I'm on 26")

mtbr member

I had a typo there. The Aka wasn't too bad on the front.

To add some information. They were so much faster than my previous tires(stock Bontrager tires) I had a hard time figuring out if it was a traction issue or I was just carrying more speed into the turns. Anyways I am on a 29er.

mtbr member

Had a couple of beers so I am forgetting things.

The Seguaro can run in either direction. One direction for more traction and the other for more speed so if you really like it you could run on front and rear.

mtbr member
    I run 29" AKA TNT's both front and rear permanently. Love them and have a different experience than expressed here. IMO they corner incredibly well and will let you know before they break loose or wash out. Some tires, like slant six, and race kings will give you no warning before losing traction. I have found that the AKA gives you reliable tactile warnings that a wash out is eminent, and you can take appropriate measures. However.....as stated above, they suck in mud, and on slick exposed roots. They wear out very fast on pavement, and on my dry hardpack Norcal trails they last about 4-5 months of frequent riding. 4-6 weeks? that sounds crazy!

mtbr member
    Finally got to try out the Saguaro. All I can say is WOW! This tire hooks up. This is my new go to setup.

1) Hooks up great.
    2) Noticed a big difference in sandy and muddy areas.
    3) Didn't notice any speed difference.
    4) Was able to corner faster.

I agree with ghettocop about the AKA being consistent and letting you know but for my skill level I had less confidence and always backed off when I felt that so I wouldn't wipe out. I felt myself being a lot more confident today as I got comfortable with the Saguaro.

For me I see no advantage to run the AKA on the front.

Geax AKA 2.2" F/R or AKA (R) + Segauro (F)?-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I run the Saguaro 2.2 TNT on the back of one of my 29ers. It's a great tire. I really like that it is a large volume for its 2.2 width.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Finally got to try out the Saguaro. All I can say is WOW! This tire hooks up. This is my new go to setup.

1) Hooks up great.
    2) Noticed a big difference in sandy and muddy areas.
    3) Didn't notice any speed difference.
    4) Was able to corner faster.

I agree with ghettocop about the AKA being consistent and letting you know but for my skill level I had less confidence and always backed off when I felt that so I wouldn't wipe out. I felt myself being a lot more confident today as I got comfortable with the Saguaro.

For me I see no advantage to run the AKA on the front.
    So are you running that F/R or are you running that up front and an AKA in the rear?

mtbr member

Seguaro front.
    AKA rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Saguaro in back (in speed direction/orientation) and Bontrager 29-3 2.25 tubeless in front. Great combination.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Oops. Don't intend to high jack your guys' conversation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    Oops. Don't intend to high jack your guys' conversation.
    It's on topic. The more opinions the better.