Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Gazzaloddi Dual/Larsen TT question

Are the Gazzaloddi Dual 2.3 smaller or bigger than its size?

and is the Larsen TT with the DH casing smaller than the 2.35?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Larsen TT w/ DH casing? We have the Larsen TT in a wire bead, size 2.35, but it's a single ply casing, not DH.

And b/c it's an older model, it's a bit undersized. Tires that came out last year and those going forward will be true-to-size.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    maybe that is what I meant. the non-folding (wire) bead Larsen TT.

I am having troubles with tire clearance on my bike, and I ran a 2.4 Holy Roller and there was just millimeters between the tire and the frame.

But the Holy Roller, especially with low pressure is a pinchflat magnet, and I'm a hack on a hardtail.

I needed something tougher, but can be small. The Larsen TT is on my list, definitely.

I don't want p*ssy ass XC tires to satisfy the clearance.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Fat guy on a bike
    Well, the Larsen TT is pretty small for its size. I kinda put it into the XC category due to its small knobs and speed. In my experience its not for the loose n rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have the Dual 2.3, but my Dual 2.6 is wide and high at the corner knobs, so depending on where your clearance is tightest, they might rub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the dual 2.3 is pretty true, i can put it on my xc bike with no rubbing at all.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Well, If I will put the TT on my frame, it will be for 4X duty.

The plough
    Holy Roller is true to size, ie, its really 2.4" wide. Most other Maxxis tires are not true to size.

Regarding pinch flatting it, what width rim are you using? I have yet to flat once and I am heavy. My rims are 25mm internal.

V.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by vmajor
    Holy Roller is true to size, ie, its really 2.4" wide. Most other Maxxis tires are not true to size.

Regarding pinch flatting it, what width rim are you using? I have yet to flat once and I am heavy. My rims are 25mm internal.

V.
    I think around 30mm, but I run low pressures because I run the bike on rocks, The gazz jr. I have in the front has no problem at all, but the single ply tires are not too rock friendly without turning the rear to a pogo stick. i weigh 190, but the problem is me.

The plough
    30mm internal! Wow, that is some monster rims!

...in any case even if its 30mm external, that would make the rims at least 23mm internal, making them wide enough not to be causing pinch flat issues...

Try DH tires, like Maxxis Mininon DHF.

V.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by vmajor
    30mm internal! Wow, that is some monster rims!

...in any case even if its 30mm external, that would make the rims at least 23mm internal, making them wide enough not to be causing pinch flat issues...

Try DH tires, like Maxxis Mininon DHF.

V.
    I'm not REALLY sure on how to measure rim width, but its definitely not Alex Rims DX32 size...

I'm wary of theside knobs hitting the frame, and Minions and High Rollers sell like hotcakes here, as if its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm sticking to Nokians, I'm sold on their toughness. But I love my Holy Roller BTW,

The plough
    Holy Roller is indeed an awesome rear tire.

Maxxis DH tires sell well as they are now (and 2007 I believe) the favourite tires of top DH racers.

Also, as far as I know, even DH casing Maxxis tires are not as wide as they the number says. My friend has Minion DHF and it looks maybe a little narrower than my Holy Roller 2.4. However, you are likely right that the raised knobs (versus the flats on the Holy Roller) on the knobby tire may interfere with the frame.

Not that I am pushing the Maxxis DHR as I have no experience with them at all, but the profile of that tire looks rounded and the knobs are not too aggressive, so it may fit when frame clearance is an issue.

V.

trail fairy
    I have Minons DHF/DHRs 2.35 and 2.5 3cs and Sts Holyrollers 2.4s and Larsen TTs 2.35s

Holyrollers by far the most volume followed by 2.5 Minions, 2.35 Larsen TT in wire bead sp is quite narrow, more like a 2.1 of some other brands, I run the TTs on my DJ/DS/4x setup, and love them! Ive used the Minion for DS thoughand its very good for laying it over in the corners, myabe cause Im used to it in Dh, but I'd fef give the Larsen TT 2.35 in the rear a go, should be sweet, Im running quite wide rims no issue, 34mm MTXs
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I have Minons DHF/DHRs 2.35 and 2.5 3cs and Sts Holyrollers 2.4s and Larsen TTs 2.35s

Holyrollers by far the most volume followed by 2.5 Minions, 2.35 Larsen TT in wire bead sp is quite narrow, more like a 2.1 of some other brands, I run the TTs on my DJ/DS/4x setup, and love them! Ive used the Minion for DS thoughand its very good for laying it over in the corners, myabe cause Im used to it in Dh, but I'd fef give the Larsen TT 2.35 in the rear a go, should be sweet, Im running quite wide rims no issue, 34mm MTXs
    I'm really torn on the Gazz Dual and the Larsen TT, I'll never know until I bring my bike to had it sized up. I just had a sweet DH run this morning, with the Holy Roller at around 40, and just as I expected was trying to pogo me off the bike. Maybe 30-35 psi?

Maybe get them both? Larsen for smooth, Dual for rougher courses and mud. But I'll keep the Holy Roller. I love it to death.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    I'm really torn on the Gazz Dual and the Larsen TT, I'll never know until I bring my bike to had it sized up. I just had a sweet DH run this morning, with the Holy Roller at around 40, and just as I expected was trying to pogo me off the bike. Maybe 30-35 psi?

Maybe get them both? Larsen for smooth, Dual for rougher courses and mud. But I'll keep the Holy Roller. I love it to death.
    Yeah I hear ya I like my HolyRollers too, 40psi is a bit much alright somewhere as u sad 30-35 is sweet, the Larsen is pretty good in the mud you'd be surprised, its a very good tire, try it first since ya like your Holyrollers you'll love the Larsen

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Yeah I hear ya I like my HolyRollers too, 40psi is a bit much alright somewhere as u sad 30-35 is sweet, the Larsen is pretty good in the mud you'd be surprised, its a very good tire, try it first since ya like your Holyrollers you'll love the Larsen
    Right. Will go for Larsen TT wire bead this time.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    UPDATE! I GOT A 2.35 TT and had it installed already. Tire rub no more!

Will do a thrash test on our 4km rock road tomorrow with 35psi.

I'm stoked.

trail fairy
    Awesome, ya won't be disapointed I didn'tkow they still came with the organge line, that version looks a little higher volume than my 2.35 I will take a picc similar angle and add later today!
    Anyways glad to hear the fit was good, go rip it up

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    Ok Im bored so I got some piccs, aps for the heavy content Im rehabiliting so have lots of bored bike time on my hands

Oh I love my maxxis tires too

Some of the tribe, Wetscreams! Swampthings, Medusa, HolyRoller, Minion, Larsen, I have a number of Minions in most comps, Laren in UST and standard, WS in 2.5 and 2.2, SW in 2.5 now I want some Ardents in 2.4

Larsen 2.35 wire bead [I prefer the wire bead] maybe its just me but mine looks lower volume than the organe ring version

Larsen UST

Ps I even named my dog Maxxis!
    better pic

one more
    Last edited by trailadvent; 07-21-2008 at 08:49 PM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    It really looks small, pitiful compared to my Gazz.Jr in front, but I like the lightness of my rear, especially in cornering.

Unfortunately I can't ride today, suddenly my mom decided to make me check her class' exam papers...

trail fairy
    Youre gonna love it I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually fit one up front for some rides, don't let the size fool ya its a very good all rounder on the dirt

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Hey, I also saw a 2.35 mobster. will that be a good front or rear tire?

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    HAHAHA! Just did a run down our favorite trail this morning, and boy, did the new tire do good! I love the new found agility of a smaller width tire, and it is still stable enough to attack the rocks and the mud.

The Larsen TT made a very good impression, like the Holy Roller.

trail fairy
    HAHAHA! Just did a run down our favorite trail this morning, and boy, did the new tire do good! I love the new found agility of a smaller width tire, and it is still stable enough to attack the rocks and the mud.

The Larsen TT made a very good impression, like the Holy Roller.
    Awesome always good to hear when something works well for others as you expect, cool glad ya stoked! wait till it wear in a bit they get better once the new shine wears off

Hey, I also saw a 2.35 mobster. will that be a good front or rear tire?
    Never tried the mobster the treads never appealed to me not sure why, but before ya go there, try a Larsen up front its dam good up front for its size and ya wouldn't think so but its grips and corners as well as ya feeling on the rear, dam good on the DJ bike, Ive taken mine down DH tracks jump tracks DS it works in alot of places

Cool ya stoked dude

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

The plough
    Sounds great!

How does TT compare to the Holy Roller on off-camber wet roots and rocks?

...also tell us if your pinch flatting went away with the switch.

V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast