mtbr member
    Apr 2004

FYI - New Conti Race King 'Race Sport' NOT tubeless ready!!

Was hoping they would seal better then the RaceKing SuperSonic - but the new RaceSports sidewalls are FULL of pinholes. What a shame - would be a great tire for tubeless setup. I have been setting up tires tubeless since the beginning of Stans. These Conti Race Kings are great performing on singletrack - but all but impossible to set up tubeless.
    So I guess my search continue for a FAST, LIGHT, HIGH VOLUME xc tire that is more tubeless friendly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have seen them set up tubeless before , takes time and stan's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Been having the same problem with mine. Mounted up perfectly, but the sidewalls just don't hold air. I scrubbed out all the oily stuff when I got it and for weeks I've been adding sealant, shaking it, laying it on a bucket, turning it, riding it and it still goes completely flat in less than a day

It's weird cause the X-King RaceSport I got at the same time has been great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    uhm, weird.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sidewalls are like a screen door

Im hearing that the MAxxis Ikon is a fast rolling and very light tire - that seals up easily with Stans. Can anyone confirm - Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've heard the same about the Ikon's a few guys around here running them with Stan's and I've not heard any complaining.
    I was thinking about trying either the new Fast Trak Control FEA's from Specialized or the Maxxis Ikon for my next tire.
    Which Ikon should we get, there are a few different versions from what I've found on line, EXO or non-EXO, etc.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Yeah, I've heard the same about the Ikon's a few guys around here running them with Stan's and I've not heard any complaining.
    I was thinking about trying either the new Fast Trak Control FEA's from Specialized or the Maxxis Ikon for my next tire.
    Which Ikon should we get, there are a few different versions from what I've found on line, EXO or non-EXO, etc.
    Get the Exo version for the rear if your trails have any rocks. The sidewalls of the Ikon stick out a little further than the tread, making them a bit more susceptible to cuts & abrasion.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    will do, thanks bholwell, +10,000 internet rep points for you!
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1 View Post
    Im hearing that the MAxxis Ikon is a fast rolling and very light tire - that seals up easily with Stans. Can anyone confirm - Thanks!
    I can confirm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mine work fine

[QUOTE=jtc1;8501663]Was hoping they would seal better then the RaceKing SuperSonic - but the new RaceSports sidewalls are FULL of pinholes. What a shame - would be a great tire for tubeless setup. I have been setting up tires tubeless since the beginning of Stans. These Conti Race Kings are great performing on singletrack - but all but impossible to set up tubeless.
    /QUOTE]

No problems. Add air once a week....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Been having the same problem with mine. Mounted up perfectly, but the sidewalls just don't hold air. I scrubbed out all the oily stuff when I got it and for weeks I've been adding sealant, shaking it, laying it on a bucket, turning it, riding it and it still goes completely flat in less than a day

It's weird cause the X-King RaceSport I got at the same time has been great.
    I have exactly same experience.
    2.2 XKing RS and 2.2 Race King RaceSport seal very well and hold air.
    But 2.0" RaceKing Race Sport is hopeless. I have used all tricks and lots of sealent but mine goes flat in 20 minutes. Also tried even lighter 2.0" RK supersonic. Exactly the same. They both hold air overnight but go flat in 20min when riding.
    Too thin sidewalls I think or just faulty item?

Have anybody had any success with 2.0" race kings?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Has this been resolved? Im liking my Protection version, but I think a RaceSport will be a good addition to the front.... That is, if stans will seal it up.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
    John
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been finding that the key to getting difficult Continentals to seal is to just use LOTS of sealant for the initial mounting. Once it holds air, you can use less.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I've been finding that the key to getting difficult Continentals to seal is to just use LOTS of sealant for the initial mounting. Once it holds air, you can use less.
    How many scoops are we talking to get a 29x2.2 sealed?
    I figure once sealed, i can use my normal 1.5-2 scoops

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I mounted my first tubeless set up ever 2 weeks ago. Brand new Racesport 26" 2.2 Chili on freshly built Crest 32 hole/Circus Monkey HDW 3, Stans tape. Mounted easily, soaped the beads and seated it with a floor pump. Way easier than I expected. I did the Stans shake and let each side sit parallel to the floor for about 20 minutes. I used the Stans injector with about 2 oz Stans. I lose less than 5 psi a week so looks very good for now. Time will tell. These were ordered through my LBS, got them for $37 a piece with my team discount, smokin deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    How many scoops are we talking to get a 29x2.2 sealed?
    I figure once sealed, i can use my normal 1.5-2 scoops
    I don't usually measure scoops, but I'm guessing 3 would do it. You can always try your normal setup and just add more if it doesn't hold air.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I just set up a brand new 29x2.2 race sport on a stans arch ex with 1 half scoop of stans. There were a few small holes in the sidewall by the tread, but not a "screen door" by any means.

Jur
    100% agree with jtc1. Conti race sports protec are crap without a tube. Perhaps they would hold air if you stayed on pavement, but flex the sidewall much with rocks and they spring a leak. Had to put at least 300 grams of Stan's and specialized airlock to get them to hold air when new! Schwalbes are sort of fragile, but hold air really well. Any suggestions from the crowd for light, grippy, AND tough airtight sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmincey View Post
    100% agree with jtc1. Conti race sports protec are crap without a tube. Perhaps they would hold air if you stayed on pavement, but flex the sidewall much with rocks and they spring a leak. Had to put at least 300 grams of Stan's and specialized airlock to get them to hold air when new! Schwalbes are sort of fragile, but hold air really well. Any suggestions from the crowd for light, grippy, AND tough airtight sidewalls?
    Sure- a few suggestions:

- Don't rely on posts / reviews that are nearly 3 years old
    - Don't complain about tubeless compatibility of a version of a tire that was not designed to be run tubeless
    - To provide meaningful feedback select a version of the tire that provides the attributes you are looking for which in the case is the Race King ProTection with Black Chili. It is tubeless ready (but not UST so you need to use sealant), has excellent sidewall protection and very good grip.

Conti Race Kings are excellent tires assuming you select the model that matches your needs. BTW a Race Sport ProTection model does not exist.

Continental Bicycle -Race King