Furious Fred?

How are they?

Resistance?
    Traction?
    Durability?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There is little more to it than Schwalbe's own pretty honest description.

Schwalbe - Professional Bikes Tires

mtbr member
    Forget about braking traction. Can work OK in hard pack. I had one on the rear a couple years ago. You definitely notice the low weight and it's super fast in the right conditions. Not worth it for me, though. Seeps sealant quite a bit, too.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedO2 View Post
    How are they?

Resistance?
    Traction?
    Durability?

Thanks
    Resistance to what?
    Traction, what's that?
    Durability, see above.

It is a very condition and use specific tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Shiggy,

Your day job on your profile is listead as:
    Day job
    MTB Tire expert

With that being the case, wouldn't you, of all people on this site, that has over 44,000 posts, know what is meant by:

How are they?

Resistance?
    Traction?
    Durability?

when asking about a brand of tire???

If you don't want to answer the question, then don't. However, there's no need to post a reply that is...senseless.

Thanks to JeroneK & mnyquist (contributors that have 500+ and 100+ posts and are able to figure out what I meant).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Shiggy,

Your day job on your profile is listead as:
    Day job
    MTB Tire expert

With that being the case, wouldn't you, of all people on this site, that has over 44,000 posts, know what is meant by:

How are they?

Resistance?
    Traction?
    Durability?

when asking about a brand of tire???

If you don't want to answer the question, then don't. However, there's no need to post a reply that is...senseless.

Thanks to JeroneK & mnyquist (contributors that have 500+ and 100+ posts and are able to figure out what I meant).
    No, you need to ask clear questions to get clear answers.

Your post is vague and lacking details of your needs in the tire.

My vague answers are appropriate.

The Schwalbe brand makes hundreds of different tire models. The F Fred is just one of those models.

Resistance: To what? Punctures, pinch flats, rolling, wear? Be clear.
    Traction: what's that? They have little for most mtb use.
    Durability: see above. As an ultra lightweight mtb tire they do not have any, and Schwalbe tells you that. There are heavier inner tubes,

Bottom line: 99.9% of riders have no business even looking a putting a Furious Fred on their bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    How are they?

Resistance?
    Traction?
    Durability?

Thanks
    Here is the text from the Schwalbe site:

No question - you want to win! Is the track drying out? Can you risk a puncture? Is your technical riding skill excellent? OK - you are ready for Furious Fred. Never before has there been an MTB tire that ran so fast. Tread design optimized for speed, minimal material, 127-epi-Evo-carcass, PaceStar Triple Compound.

Warning! To anyone who wants everything. Furious Fred is the fastest MTB tire - Ever! But be aware: It is not an allrounder. Grip is limited and risk of puncturing is high.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've tried them front/rear on a 29er hardtail and I can also read into your post to understand what you are asking. As a rear tire it's not bad, will slip if torqued hard climbing but if you stay smooth they are very fast and light. As a front tire it's maybe OK and can be ridden about as aggressively as you could ride a CX bike offroad on trails. You can't really lean it in a corner with reckless abandon but it is very fast on flats. Personally I have not ridden the Maxxis Maxxlite 29 but I would think that tire would work better as a XC race tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No, you need to ask clear questions to get clear answers.

Your post is vague and lacking details of your needs in the tire.

My vague answers are appropriate.

The Schwalbe brand makes hundreds of different tire models. The F Fred is just one of those models.

Resistance: To what? Punctures, pinch flats, rolling, wear? Be clear.
    Traction: what's that? They have little for most mtb use.
    Durability: see above. As an ultra lightweight mtb tire they do not have any, and Schwalbe tells you that. There are heavier inner tubes,

Bottom line: 99.9% of riders have no business even looking a putting a Furious Fred on their bike.

Again- everyone that read the question it understood it- and gave helpful answers. I didn't ask about the hundred of different models-just the F Fred.

Answering 'what's that?', then following with 'they have little for most mountain bike use' tells me that you understand the question. Replying with "see above" adds nothing. The '99.9% of riders...' comment makes a point- although 99.9%? I'm surprised Schwalbe would even make a tire for .1% of their potential buyers.

I have a Niner Jet 9 with Kenda SB 8 on the back & Slant Six on the front. Ride in Park City- ride mostly fast single track. This set up seems to be OK, but it is the only combination I've used.

Other ideas for a faster tire to use in some shorter (20-50 mile) races?

Thanks everyone for the comments!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @NeedO2, although one could guess what kind of information you want, Shiggy has kind of a point there. If you tell more about what kind of trails and what kind of riding you want to use them for, you will get better answers.

In my experience, there are very little racetracks that favor these tires. It'll have to be non-technical hardpack, no loose bits on top, not bumpy, no rocks or roots, as they will kill the tire or your rims ... not a MTB race really. To be safe, you'd have to run pressures that will further diminish the little grip this tire has left and it will not roll well over bumpy stuff. I have tried them, but for every race, I had a more favourable tire in my stash. And I race on pretty non-agressive stuff out here in flat The Netherlands (Europe).

There are faster tires than the SB8, a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25" or Maxxis Ikon for example. Get the volume, it's faster on anything but solid hardpack or tarmac.

Always Learning
    Again- everyone that read the question it understood it- and gave helpful answers. I didn't ask about the hundred of different models-just the F Fred.

Answering 'what's that?', then following with 'they have little for most mountain bike use' tells me that you understand the question. Replying with "see above" adds nothing. The '99.9% of riders...' comment makes a point- although 99.9%? I'm surprised Schwalbe would even make a tire for .1% of their potential buyers.

I have a Niner Jet 9 with Kenda SB 8 on the back & Slant Six on the front. Ride in Park City- ride mostly fast single track. This set up seems to be OK, but it is the only combination I've used.

Other ideas for a faster tire to use in some shorter (20-50 mile) races?

Thanks everyone for the comments!
    You're going to get a lot of help from the JET 9 and your suspension at keeping things glued to the trail - enough to the point that running minimal tread tires on a 29"er is an option given the right trail conditions.

I run everything tubeless, so keep that in mind with my comments.

I tested the Maxxis Maxxlite 29"er tires on my JET for Maxxis, raced them, and they are still going strong 2 years later (my wife rides them front/rear on her Air9). Although, cracks are starting to appear and they are getting long in the tooth now with all of the miles so will probably be replaced this spring. I have also raced and ridden the NoTubes Crow front and rear on FS bikes, rear only as well as the Raven 2.2's front and rear, and rear only. I have not ridden the Furious Fred tires, but would rank them in the same category as the Maxxlites, Crows, and Raven.

I would say the Fred would be an excellent rear tire for XC racing given the right conditions. If you have a lot of steep, power grunt climbs that you like to get out of the saddle and hammer up - you'll have traction issues on your JET from time to time. That's been my problem with the Crows, Ravens, Maxxlites as I like to get out of saddle and hammer up climbs.

This past year was a drought here in the Midwest and I had to run the Nobby Nics front and rear for traction in all the loose and dry conditions. Other years, minimial tread tires could be used with great results on the right courses. In addition, we don't have long nasty descents here in the Midwest to the point of really worrying about having exceptional rear tire braking traction. If I run a more aggressive tire up front for braking traction on my JET, the rear can be a minimal tread and I'll still be in control at race speed.

I would say give one a try in the rear first to see how you like it and how you adapt to it. Rolling resistance - like other minimal tread tires - will be crazy get up and go speed. The traction - or rather, lack of it - will be a handful, but if you're a good bike handler you will be okay. I think I can say that after the races and seasons I have experimented on with minimal traction tires front and rear - I won't be running a minimal tread tire up front any more. The tradeoff of weight savings and minimal traction is not worth it and actually slows me down more than increases my speed. Some of that is caution, but some of that is the reality of losing the front end on certain corners.

The other issue is volume. The Fred and the Crow 2.0 and the Maxxlite are all low volume tires. The JET 9 has a lower BB and when you run 1.9 - 2.0 tires (some of them actually come out more as 1.8 or 1.85 tires in reality) may not be the best advantage of a 29"er. I like the Raven 2.2 for that reason as it provides the great rolling resistance, but it's full volume provides better traction for only about a 100g weight penalty. If Schwalbe did the Fred in a 2.25 width like they do in the 26" size - I'd nibble for sure.

Durability wise - I have not had any issue with the smaller volume, lighter weight, minimal tread tires in terms of cuts or sidewall tears. But I'm in the Midwest and have only torn 2 tires in the past 10 years (a Ralph and a Bonty XR). And of course, running a tire on the rear means what minimal tread there is won't last long. The tread will wear down rather quickly and become a slick sooner than one would like for the $$, but that is the nature of these special niche minimal tread tires.

None of that was really about the Fred, but more about the category of the minimal tread tires on a FS 29"er. I wouldn't hesitate to give one a try (especially in the rear) if I were you as the larger hoops and the FS really do give more traction than one thinks with minimal tread tires. If it's not for you, you'll find out rather quickly.

Minimal tread Maxxis Maxxlites...

JET is ready to roll...

Way too much buff here in the Midwest, but like the Crow in the rear pictured here that I've run, I would bet the Fred would be just about the same...

LeadingTheGroup

I don't think Park City is quite the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    JerenK & Bruce- thanks for the replies.

Tons of climbing here in PC- but I will sit & spin 80% of the time- probly due to the length of the climbs. When I do get out of the saddle I've never had traction issues (again- SB 8 tubeless on the back...). Smoother fast single track.

So- shorter races- more to keep me focused on something- not to be a Grand Champ or anything- and if a tire can make a difference then why not give it a whirl...

Looks like I'll give Maxxis and/or the Ralph's or Ravens a try on the back for sure.

What about the front?

Always Learning
    JerenK & Bruce- thanks for the replies.

Tons of climbing here in PC- but I will sit & spin 80% of the time- probly due to the length of the climbs. When I do get out of the saddle I've never had traction issues (again- SB 8 tubeless on the back...). Smoother fast single track.

So- shorter races- more to keep me focused on something- not to be a Grand Champ or anything- and if a tire can make a difference then why not give it a whirl...

Looks like I'll give Maxxis and/or the Ralph's or Ravens a try on the back for sure.

What about the front?
    There's another super fast rear tire not mentioned that provides a bit more tread - the Maxxis Aspen 2.1. Very light and very fast. I wore my initial pair out, so forgot to mention it as a great rear tire that I would trust a bit more than a Fred or Maxxlite. The thinner Aspen is around 525-535g which isn't bad.

Front?

You can use your Slant Six and your Small Block 8 up front - no problems there.

If not experimenting with one of the minimal tread designs and looking for good front tire rolling resistance tires....

Ikon (with the EXO protection), Ralph (with the SS), Conti Race King, Small Block 8, Nic 2.25 (with the SS), Raven 2.2, Rocket Ron, etc... .

I always suggest getting yourself about a half dozen tires (yes, I know that's a lot of spend) and mix and match to find what you like and what works best for you on your local trails and conditions. Also pick the brain of other Park City 29"er XC riders to see what they like.

Read those German Bike Magazine tests and others in that thread (there's one that does some tests on 29"er tires) to get some ideas.

BB (I own way, way too many tires)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bruce,

Thanks. I just sent you a PM.