Butts Up Fast!

Fulcrum Red metal 3's

Looking at the Fulcrum red metal 3's for a wheel upgrade. What's the concensus on these wheels?

mtbr member
    They came standard on my first carbon bike last year.
    Tell you what best wheels I've ever had. They took the worst possible abuse and they never missed a beat. Never needed truing ever.
    They're very popular wheels of choice among AM riders too( my bike was a hardtail). Their direct competitors are the Shimano XT but the Red Metal 3 have a lot cooler design IMHO. I was considering to put them on my Stumpy Elite but at the end got some Rovals instead.
    Can't go wrong with a pair of Red Metal 3
    Last edited by Devastazione; 04-30-2011 at 04:35 AM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Got a pair a year ago. Mine were the batch before they offered the axle conversions with the wheels. Best wheel set I have owned. Rock gardens, road, singletrack, etc. Still striaght as an arrow, still nice, still rolling strong.

Extra parts can be found online easily, so don't by into those complaints about people not finding a spoke, they are on a lot of websites for spare parts. I even took the rear hub apart when I adjusted the bearing preload. Easy to take apart and put back together.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

Butts Up Fast!
    Cool. I'm looking to go tubless with these and lose some rolling weight.

The Cheater
    Hard to beat the Metal 3 at the below $500 range especially with their blazing fast rear hub. I replaced mine with the Roval Control EL which is way lighter and faster. I also bought the Easton EA90 XC but the rear wheel is way heavier than the Roval and it suffers greatly during uphills. I run both tubeless with sealant.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

Butts Up Fast!
    I ride alot of fast single track with rock gardens and small jumps locally. I'm looking to replace my 2200g Sun SOS wheels with the RM3 on my Diamonback M2. The wheels I have now are stout, but heavy. I'm looking at dropping about 2+ lbs of rolling weight going tubless with the RM3. I was also looking at Mavic Crossmax ST's and Easton Havoc's, but found the Fulcrum RM3 for about $150 less. Are all these wheels comparable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a set of Fulcrum Red Metal X1 and they are the lightest, stiffest, bombproof wheels I've ever ridden, and they roll fast too boot. The engagement on the hub is great.

Everynow and then Chainlove.com has them on clearance for $500

The Cheater
    Bottomline IMO Fulcrums have the fastest hub, strongest spokes, and ultra reliable wheels. If it weren't for the minimal discounts I wouldn't have gotten a Roval or Easton...
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg