mtbr member

New question here. Fulcrum Red Metal 3 - will these fit my bike? Please help

I am having a heck of a time finding concrete answers on if these will fit my current bike. 2011 Giant Trance X1 (Front = 15mm QR / Rear = 135mm with 9mm QR). I am mainly concerned about the rear axle size, if these will fit. I gathered the spacing is 135mm from what I read.

2013 Fulcrum Red Metal 3:
    wiggle.com | Fulcrum Red Metal 3 MTB Wheelset | MTB Wheels

I think I've Googled myself to death, or i'm blind and not find the answer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Fulcrum Red Metal 3 - will these fit my bike? Please help

Great wheels and yes they will fit. 135mm is the standard quick release.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    awesome, thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Coincidentally, I'm also looking for some new wheels for my 2011 Trance X2 (Aussie version with SLX/XT) and I also saw these on Wiggle (12-EXTRA discount code brings price down to $340 AUD).

The only concern I had was the rim width - 19mm internal is same as the Giant wheels and a tad narrow for my liking, especially with tubeless 2.25 that I plan to run.

I've also considered Hope hoops with Stans Arch or Flow (similar price) and some custom wheels from CRC - Shimano XT hubs with WTB Frequency i23 rims (tubeless compatible but 23mm internal), also for ~$340.

Tough decision... they are all decent wheel though, so can't really go wrong.

mtbr member
    Yea, I've read some good stuff on the Fulcrum set. Strong wheelset for the price. Although they are 19mm, same as my old set. I never had issues with my 2.35 Nevegals on my 19mm rim.

I just went with this set as it would be a straight swap, and UST rim. I just did not want to end up buying rotors, having possible fitment issues with my UST tires on non UST rims, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good choice. Please come back with a short review once you've got them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I run a set of fulcrum red metal 3 with tubeless 2.3 WTB weirwolf on the front and 2.1 at the back. They work perfectly with these tires, although the WTB weirwolfs are known to run narrower than their claimed width.

I didn't have a very good experience running nevegal 2.35s with this wheelset though. The kendas were extremely hard to put on, mainly because they were so big and the rubber is very stiff. I also landed a jump badly on my hardtail while running the UST nevegals and the rear tire ripped by the sidewall. It was a very hard landing, the tire was pretty much destroyed, but the wheel was still true afterwards.

So yeah, 100% go for this wheelset for the weight and strength, they are more XC than AM in my opinion, so maybe stay away from the bigger tire sizes.

mtbr member
    Hopefully my Nevegal's won't be so hard to put on after being mounted for awhile on my current wheelset. I also had a hell of time initially with these tires when they were fairly new and mounting/dismounting them from UST Shimano wheelset.

I won't be running anything bigger than 2.35 most likely as I don't need something with more volume with the riding that I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah the nevegal I had was new, maybe that was it. Hopefully it won't give you too much trouble.

By the way, you are going to love how the rear hub sounds; definitely one of my favorite things about this wheelset.

And one more thing, Mavic UST tubeless valves fit this wheelset, they might be easier to source than Fulcrum valves as replacement parts for you. I'm running Mavic valves right now with mine.

mtbr member
    I saw some clips on Youtube and it sounds like bumble bees, is that the sound your referring to?

Oh nice, thanks for the tip. I'll document that for future reference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, it sounds kind of like a Hope II hub but smoother with a higher pitch. I guess bumblebee would be a good way of describing it.

mtbr member
    Gotcha. I will find out this week, how it sounds.

mtbr member
    Ok. I just got mine and installed everything swapped my front to the 15mm adaptors, but they are very quiet. Maybe they changed the freehub/freewheel design? Or I have to break them in? Mine are I believe the 2012 model, from what I can tell on the sticker on the inside rim.

I don't mind them being quiet,

My gosh the rear skewer weighs a TON! I'm thinking of just using my old Shimano rear skewer which is way lighter. Why did they make the skewer so darn heavy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good to hear they're quiet. Did you weigh them (sans tape and skewers) by any chance?

mtbr member
    Nope haven't had the chance to weight them.

They are almost silent, quieter than my previous Shimano XT hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hmmm interesting, mine are definitely not quiet, haha.

I'm using hex bolt skewers instead of the original ones with these wheels. I'm not a big fan of Shimano skewers btw, I've bent like 2 of them just by leaving them in my tools bag (not a good idea in hindsight).

Maybe the Fulcrum skewers are just beefier, I've never actually used them with my wheelset.

mtbr member
    Yea, I've weighed both skewers and the difference is about 6g heavier. I went ahead and used the Fulcrum skewer.

Also, the hubs are being broken in they seem to be now making the noise you are describing. I noticed that these things roll roll and roll, compared to my Shimano XT hubs. Oh and they are definitely stiffer than my previous Shimano M778 wheelset.

So far so good, hopefully they will last for quiet some time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice, it was probably the factory grease that was muffling the ratchets. I'm guessing the grease has been evened out by now. =) Enjoy!