Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    153

    Fulcrum Red Metal 3 HH 15mm - got 9mm QR instead from CRC

    Hi guys.
    I recently ordered Fulcrum Red Metal 3 HH 15mm thru-axle wheelset from CRC:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=42567
    to support my TALAS 100-140.

    Today picked by package, upon checking it up it turns to look like regular 9mm QR hub configuration at front instead of that should be looking like 15mm thru-axle.

    I'm attached few images of the hub.
    I'm quite novice in all that, perhaps that QR can be instantly converted into 15mm thru-axle, but there is nothing about that in the instruction booklet that comes with the wheels and also, as part of the wheelset there are two 9mm QR axles in the package (one longer, apparently for the rear wheel the other one looks shorter - should be for front wheel).

    So, do you think there is indeed mistake and mismatch between the product definition at CRC web catalog and the actual product or the hub is intended to get converted instantly from 9mm QR to 15mm thru-axle by the user ?

    I contacted already CRC customer support, but that may take a while until they will respond and also I'm interested to hear the opinion of experienced users here in the forums.

    Thanks in advance, Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fulcrum Red Metal 3 HH 15mm - got 9mm QR instead from CRC-front-hub-1.jpg  

    Fulcrum Red Metal 3 HH 15mm - got 9mm QR instead from CRC-front-hub-2.jpg  

    Fulcrum Red Metal 3 HH 15mm - got 9mm QR instead from CRC-front-hub-3.jpg  


  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,028
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzabr
    Hi guys.
    I recently ordered Fulcrum Red Metal 3 HH 15mm thru-axle wheelset from CRC:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=42567
    to support my TALAS 100-140.

    Today picked by package, upon checking it up it turns to look like regular 9mm QR hub configuration at front instead of that should be looking like 15mm thru-axle.

    I'm attached few images of the hub.
    I'm quite novice in all that, perhaps that QR can be instantly converted into 15mm thru-axle, but there is nothing about that in the instruction booklet that comes with the wheels and also, as part of the wheelset there are two 9mm QR axles in the package (one longer, apparently for the rear wheel the other one looks shorter - should be for front wheel).

    So, do you think there is indeed mistake and mismatch between the product definition at CRC web catalog and the actual product or the hub is intended to get converted instantly from 9mm QR to 15mm thru-axle by the user ?

    I contacted already CRC customer support, but that may take a while until they will respond and also I'm interested to hear the opinion of experienced users here in the forums.

    Thanks in advance, Alex
    It may be convertible, but it will not be instant and will require additional parts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    153
    So there are chances their definition of 15mm thru-axle set may mean supplying regular 9mm QR configured front hub along with an appropriate conversion set to 15mm ?
    I can't see any additional parts in the package that may be relevant to such conversion, the only parts there are 2 QR axles..
    I'm wondering what is that allen screw for ? The one that can be seen at the side of the axle hole on the hub...perhaps it is related to that ?
    Weird, but there is nothing about that in their booklet...(the booklet speaks only about tyres and brake disks installation)...

  4. #4
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,708
    The allen screw is to allow you to remove the end caps and change the axle to a 15mm through axle (and possibly 20 if they handle it)
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    153
    Thanks, that apparently opens up the window of the hope...

    So, do you mean unscrewing the screw I should be able to remove the caps and that will change the axle to 15mm through without any additional parts ? Or there should be additional parts to get installed after removing the caps ?

    It's weird that Fulcrum doesn't explain that in their brochure/manual...I see nothing there in this regard..

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,028
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzabr
    Thanks, that apparently opens up the window of the hope...

    So, do you mean unscrewing the screw I should be able to remove the caps and that will change the axle to 15mm through without any additional parts ? Or there should be additional parts to get installed after removing the caps ?

    It's weird that Fulcrum doesn't explain that in their brochure/manual...I see nothing there in this regard..
    Go to your own link at CRC and look at the pics. You will see what the 15mm hub axle ends look like. At the very least you need additional parts.

    CRC did screw up.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    153
    Oh, well, I just hoped there is just my plain misunderstanding..
    Yes, I saw the pictures there, the 15mm does look different from QR, but I still hoped that the hub is instantly convertible by user...

    Perhaps not, I'm curious how CRC will respond to that....

  8. #8
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,708
    At the very least, you will need new end caps. I'm not familiar with the hub in question.

    Your best bet is to contact CRC, they have been handy AFAIC.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    153
    Yeah, I've contacted them already, hope they will get back within a day or two.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    153
    Well, after a few mail exchanges and phone conversation with CRC, they advised me to ship them back the front wheel and upon that they will replace it with the proper 15mm thru-axle one.
    They promised to reimburse me the shipping charges for the return, but then there might be another 2-3 weeks wait period involved until I'll receive the replacement.

  11. #11
    Arnborg strik
    Reputation: Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    654

    No!

    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    The allen screw is to allow you to remove the end caps and change the axle to a 15mm through axle (and possibly 20 if they handle it)
    The allen screw is to tighten up the bearing, if it develops play.
    Single dad, and proud of it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •