mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fulcrum Red Metal 3 or 5?

I'm looking to change my wheel set and am considering the Fulcrum Red Metal 3 or the Red Metal 5. The 3's are lighter, tubeless ready but the reviews for both 3's and 5's read well and I'm struggling to justify spending a lot more money on the 3's as they are almost twice the price of the 5's. Does anyone know why they are so much more expensive and are they really worth paying the extra for?

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by vickyinkl
    Does anyone know why they are so much more expensive and are they really worth paying the extra for?
    I was looking at these two wheelsets for a potential wheel purchace. Here is a comparison chart from Fulcrum's website that will answer your question http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/reposit...um_offroad.pdf

Basically, the things that the Red Metal 3's have and the 5's do not are:

1- The RM3 has tubeless rims (this you already know)

2- The RM3 wheelset is about 120-135 grams lighter (depending on rear hub choice, not that those 15 grams matter much to me )

3- RM3 has welded rim joints (bonded joints on the RM5)

4- The RM 3 has variable section spokes.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I am probably going for the RM3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi,

thanks for the reply, quite helpful! I decided on the RM 3s and have just been out riding on them, so far happy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi, as a further info for you. I am definitely riding quicker on the RM 3's, even managed a 4th placing in last comp and like the feel of them. However I've only ridden on them 4 times, a total distance of less than 150km and there is some movement/play in the rear hub. Going back to the shop to work out why

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by vickyinkl
    Hi, as a further info for you. I am definitely riding quicker on the RM 3's, even managed a 4th placing in last comp and like the feel of them. However I've only ridden on them 4 times, a total distance of less than 150km and there is some movement/play in the rear hub. Going back to the shop to work out why
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't ordered these yet but my DT Swiss X1800 have been rolling solidly throughout more than a year and almost 2500+ KM of riding, and while a 200g weight saving would be nice, wheel maintenance is my least favorite kind of maintenance

Do let me know what the culprit turns out to be. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    IINM, both the F&R hub's are different. Different spokes as well. I'm running the FM5 since I got a good deal for a mint used unit.

Very durable for my application, which is more to XC/AM. 2 months usage and the wheel's stayed true.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    RM3's are UST rims.

RM5's are not.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't ordered these yet but my DT Swiss X1800 have been rolling solidly throughout more than a year and almost 2500+ KM of riding, and while a 200g weight saving would be nice, wheel maintenance is my least favorite kind of maintenance

Do let me know what the culprit turns out to be. Good luck.

I'm curious about this too; to me one of the main draws of Fulcrum wheels are that they basically have Campagnolo hubs, which are pretty famous for... well being pretty much the best you can get, but specifically not coming loose. I have a set of Red Zones, and had all but decided to get another for another bike. No problems so far on mine, but...

One case obviously doesn't make a problem, but spontaneous loosening of a Campy-branded hub would probably be front page news in a cycling publication.

The Cheater
    The Red Metal 3 is the best value out there period. The long rolling sealed bearings, UST ready, the stiffness, the durability, and the reasonably light weight... all make up for a really cheap wheelset at under $400. In fact, the top Metal Zero XRP is even only 100gr or less lighter than the 3. I'm looking for another set of extra wheels and been looking for a top of the line model but kept coming back to this due to the pricing. Makes spending on more expensive wheels a stupid idea... DT Swiss does make the best fastest hubs (240) but their wheels aren't tubeless compatible right out of the box. The addition of a tubeless kit would add more weight, so it's pointless... just get Fulcrums!