Jun 2010

Fulcrum Red Metal 1

Awesome!

Light
    Very Stiff (even for 200lb me)
    Smooth
    Great Hub sound
    Look sweet

If your thinking about buying them, do it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've just got the smaller brothers (red metal 3) but i completely agree.
    2008 Rockhopper Disc
    Fulcrum Red Metal 3 wheelset
    Rock Shox Reba Race
    XT brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What are main differences between RM1 and RM3, weight is only 35grams, so why price is almost x2?

mtbr member
    A question for the red metal 1 owners: I'm using these wheels for almost 1,5 year now and the last couple of months the wheels are making a 'pinging' sound when I'm up on the pedals, when I'm climbing and putting a lot of sideway stress on the wheels. The noise seems to be coming from where the spokes are attached to the rim and the hub. My LBS says the spoke tension is okay and I should keep the noisy points lubricated with teflon grease spray. Tried this, it helps a bit, but does not solve the problem. I't a shame because these wheels are really good, but the noise is driving me mad on large climbs. Any of you guys have the same problem ? Anyone with a solution ? Thanx

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Fulcrum Red Metal 1

You are not alone. I am 230 pounds and have a set of 1xls on my hardtail and Red Zones on my fs bike. Both will ping on me, sometimes on climbs, sometimes on downhills. Strangely, cleaning the, with Pedros bike cleaner (spray well) seems to quiet them.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    You are not alone. I am 230 pounds and have a set of 1xls on my hardtail and Red Zones on my fs bike. Both will ping on me, sometimes on climbs, sometimes on downhills. Strangely, cleaning the, with Pedros bike cleaner (spray well) seems to quiet them.
    I'll try to get my hands on some of that cleaner and let you know ...
    thanx