mtbr member
    Jul 2011

front tire for stumpy fsr for hardpack/loose over hardpack

i posted this previously in "specialized" forum without success as seems more apt to be posted here (apologies for repeating):

my bike is 2011 stumpy fsr elite (26er);
    90% of y trail conditions are hardpack/loose over hardpack;
    my weight is about 195lbs-200lbs with gear (and i run tubes, not tubeless just on preference to avoid messiness and keeping it simple);
    my riding style is aggressive trail riding;
    i'm currently using stock s-works purgatory 2.2 front (32 psi) and captain control 2.0 rear (32 psi).

my issue is i keep experiencing front wheel washout. i have corrected rider input as much as i can (leaning bike, not body, etc), but i'm still having surprise front wheel sudden disappearing acts sometimes around simple corners under dry/sandy hardpack conditions.

any suggestions for front tire change or psi change is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Austin trails have a ton of hardpack/loose over hardpack. Riding a Mojo SL, I've had great luck with:
    * Continental X-King Protection 2.2
    * Geax AKA TNT 2.2

Have wanted to try Conti's Trail King F/R but haven't had time yet...

eBiker
    We have a trail here (Granite Bay) that has sugar sand over hard, and it is one of the hardest conditions to find a tire for.

That Purgatory will do you no favors on hard/loose over hard as it is a soft/loose conditions tire.

The best I have used so far is the Small Block 8 2.35. Like glue on sand over hard and hard. Surprisingly good when it gets a bit soft and loose too. Big enough for aggro riding as well. I haven't tried it, but the Slant Six might have better conditions range.

Michelin's Wild Race'r is another hard pack hero with serious side knobs to stuff into corners. Those side knobs are good for bigger loose as well.

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Similar conditions last summer (more loose than hardpack though), was running Ground Control on the front, was also washing out and not feeling confident. Switched to Nobby Nic front, seems more predictable on turn-in, and better grip when leaned over.

If you are on mostly hardpack, the Racing Ralph may work better than Nobby Nic, but still has decent corner knobs.