Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Front size vs rear size tire question

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Speedub.Nate 
#1 ·
I notice many, seemingly experienced, mb riders use a larger size tire on front than on the rear. I ride aggressive single track, minimum DH (none around), and minor drops. I have both a Heckler and a 5 Spot. I run 2.5 Weirwolfs at 30 psi all around on F219 rims. What difference would I notice running a smaller cross section tire in the rear?

#2 ·
Hey,,,Noticed this also....

I have noticed this also. I mentioned to a few friends and they said that it doesn't make sense because you would need the traction in the rear but.......There might be something to it. Can't wait to see some others thoughts on this.

#3 ·
Front wheel is the danger wheel

I am sure there are more sophisticated theories out there, but think about which is the more critical wheel? If the back wheel washes out... oh well, you just put a foot down. If the front washes out.... oh hell, you just put a face down.
Your front wheel kind of dictates what everything behind it is going to do, so giving it a big foot to stand on (or bounce of things with) is in your best interest. Also, often, a fork can accommodate a much larger tire than a frame.

So there you have it... just a couple (of many) reasons why.

-Damon

#4 ·
GMF said:
I am sure there are more sophisticated theories out there, but think about which is the more critical wheel? If the back wheel washes out... oh well, you just put a foot down. If the front washes out.... oh hell, you just put a face down.
Your front wheel kind of dictates what everything behind it is going to do, so giving it a big foot to stand on (or bounce of things with) is in your best interest. Also, often, a fork can accommodate a much larger tire than a frame.

So there you have it... just a couple (of many) reasons why.

-Damon
Yup, good reasons.
Also a smaller tire is usually lighter and easier to accelerate.
On some surfaces (gravelly roads) a narrower tire gets better traction on climbs.

#5 ·
Maxxis Minotaur 1.9 on the rear?

How about running a Maxxis Minotaur 1.9 on the rear? PricePoint has them for $15. I have ridden a friends bike with the Minotaur on the front. Thought it was to thin but it hooked up well. Any thoughts on the tire? Thanks

#6 ·
Advantage In The Mud

I've tried many different tire combos, and the only time I have noticed a difference from running a larger tire in the front is in muddy conditions. In the spring here in Maine, I run Huchinson Alligators 2.0" front and 1.85" rear (actually like 2.25" and 2.0"). The wider front tire seems to "float" and the narrow rear cuts through the mud for better traction and cleans out better than the 2.0". Also my chainstays do not have enough clearence for wide tires in mud. Other than that, I usually run matched sets of tires (Mythos, Fire XC, etc.) Anybody else have any other ideas???

#7 ·
mtnbikerx said:
I notice many, seemingly experienced, mb riders use a larger size tire on front than on the rear. I ride aggressive single track, minimum DH (none around), and minor drops. I have both a Heckler and a 5 Spot. I run 2.5 Weirwolfs at 30 psi all around on F219 rims. What difference would I notice running a smaller cross section tire in the rear?
I'm very light on my front end and a phat tire at relatively low psi is the best way I can keep the rubber glued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.