mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Front/Back most important? Best tires for sand?

I've recently moved to Houston and my main riding trails are sandy beasts. I have stock (Stans Tubeless) 2.2 Kenda Nevegals on my 2011 Monocog 29er. Stock wheelset and v-brakes.

My rear tire is more worn than my front, and I'm noticing poor traction, and not just from sand. Uphill climbs have me almost eating my handlebars because the rear tire spins.

So, it's time for a new tire. I'm wondering, if the front tire is still fine, can I swap out the rear tire? Or is it smarter to replace the front tire and put the front tire on the back?

I'm also wondering what the biggest tire that will fit on a 2011 Monocog with stock v-brakes. I may start a thread in the Redline forum asking that specific question, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wider the better, for sand. Theoretically, paddle-like tread is best for sand. I say find a tire that is suitable for the rest of the terrain, since loose sand tends to be a bit less common than other terrain features on singletrack made for bikes.

Your front tire is far more important for keeping your face off the ground (almost impossible to recover from a sliding front end) so if you *are* going to swap a tire, put the good one on the front. That is not to undermine the importance of your rear tire's traction. It is important, as you noted, for climbing. Best to replace the worn tire, and put the freshest one on the front, for what my opinion is worth.

Max width depends on the brake and, somewhat non-intuitively, the pads. Shuffling spacers can bring the brake arms up to 4mm farther from the rim (large spherical washers on the rim side, as well as the flat washer). That bumps your tire clearance up a bit more each side, but you'd have to measure that. I imagine that you will be able to fit a 2.3 without issues, possibly larger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Decided to take some pictures to help you guys help me. There is still tread, as you can see. I don't remember what they looked like new. There are at least 300 miles on these, but I do not have an exact number. I went awhile with no speedometer. Best guess is ~400 miles.

The front tire has the least clearance from the brake cable. Looks like I can't go bigger at all.

BB7s are on the drawing board, but I don't think I can tell the wife I need both tires and brakes with the house being built. $$$$

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hjyv2in1xx4wpwc/DvUlJKvkzF

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Also, what does "folding tire" mean? DTC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I now know what both folding tire and DTC means.

I put a new Nevegal on the rear and noticed an immediate improvement in sand over the worn Nevegal. Remains to be seen how it helps on the troublesome climb, but I'm almost positive it will work great. In another month I'll do a new Nevegal on the front, and in several months I'll switch to disc brakes and some bigger tires.

A Redline rep had this to say to me over email:

"2.35 tire would be the max for the rear of the bike. You could go 2.4 on the front. The tread depth also varies the fit. A kenda small block in a 2.35 is very wide with a lo profile tread and a aggressive Nevegal will have a smaller casing but a deeper knob.
    I hope you are enjoying your bike and thanks for buying Redline."