mtbr member

Front 2.4 Ardent sliiping out from under me - hardpack corners, loose stones on top

Yesterday i got injured when my 2.4 Ardent washed out on an s-bend which was hardpack with loose stones on top. Im not sure i like them as the middle to edge has a large gap. I was rolling at medium speed as the corner wasnt very fast and the loose stones resulted in the front wheel slipping out in a dramatic fashion. I used to run a 2.35 Panaracer Rampage front and it seemed to hold better in medium speed corners with loose stones etc.

Any ideas on alternative tyres that hold better in loose stones (marbles!) over hardpack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I feel that the ardent doesn't have very good transition knobs, but has pretty decent side knobs. Really pressing the tire on it's side and leaning into the turn helps a lot. Maybe it is technique, maybe it is technique with that tire, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

It is not the grippiest tire out there but for volume and fast rolling it still has a decent amount of traction.

There aren't any tires that I have seen that do great on loose over hardpack.

transmitter~receiver
    how much pressure are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea that's a good point. I am running mine at 20 psi on my rigid bike and weigh 175.

Due to the large volume and decent sidewalls this tire does well at lower pressures

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Front 2.4 Ardent sliiping out from under me - hardpack corners, loose stones on

Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    Yesterday i got injured when my 2.4 Ardent washed out on an s-bend which was hardpack with loose stones on top. Im not sure i like them as the middle to edge has a large gap. I was rolling at medium speed as the corner wasnt very fast and the loose stones resulted in the front wheel slipping out in a dramatic fashion. I used to run a 2.35 Panaracer Rampage front and it seemed to hold better in medium speed corners with loose stones etc.

Any ideas on alternative tyres that hold better in loose stones (marbles!) over hardpack.
    How about a Rampage?

Marbles over hardpack is one of the least predictable surfaces. You could ride the same tire through the same corners 10 times and have it feel different each time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

U $ 4 O?

Never tried that tire..

How much do you weigh and what's the spring rate? Could be rebound too slow making it worse, or mismatched front and rear.. Pretty much rolling the dice on that type of trail though. Uping the spring rate on the fork, and also stiffer sidewalls on those type of steeps seem to help me

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Front 2.4 Ardent sliiping out from under me - hardpack corners, loose stones on

The new bike makes a difference, too, more than the tires. You should have mentioned it as you did in your other thread
    Chili slippage - Front Ardent 2.4 washed out on loose stones especially because you state you have used Ardents before and liked them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I find that the Ardent requires full commitment. Transitional knobs are a known issue with these. I can only guess its to keep the weight from being even higher. But, they roll pretty fast and have good braking traction. Mine seem to always grip pretty well when i lean them over. Anytime i do a half lean with more steering, meaning i turn the wheel more and don't lean the tire over onto its side knobs, i will washout. Especially on loose over hard, moondust, or sandy trails.

eBiker
    I had similar tho less dramatic experiences with an Ardent 2.4 up front. Yep, get on those sideknobs. Still washy in hardpack. But stellar in loose.

A round profile and intermediate knobs really seem to work well on hardpack.

As trendy as it is, I'm really liking the Hans Dampf up front for all around use, hard, soft, loose, loose over hard, etc. fast, slow, landings

P