mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Forte Terramax or Mavic 221

i need a new rear wheel/hub. This is a spare bike for friends who dont have a bike but want to ride with me every once and a while..

i found someone selling Mavic 221 with LX hub for 85

and i already bought a Forte Terramax for 75 at Performance..still new, can return if needed.

The money isnt so important at this price range.. whats the better wheel. ?? dont care about weight much.. just strenght.Im too lazy to be going to an LBS to true them every couple weeks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jton219
    i need a new rear wheel/hub. This is a spare bike for friends who dont have a bike but want to ride with me every once and a while..

i found someone selling Mavic 221 with LX hub for 85

and i already bought a Forte Terramax for 75 at Performance..still new, can return if needed.

The money isnt so important at this price range.. whats the better wheel. ?? dont care about weight much.. just strenght.Im too lazy to be going to an LBS to true them every couple weeks.
    New, the wheels are likely similar strength, but I would take the new wheel over used any day.

And you can learn to true wheels yourself.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Whats the feeling towards the sponser of this forum Bicycle Wheel Wherehouse. Good Product Good Price. Maybe ill get a set, put them on my stumpy andmove the stumpy wheels over to the Mantiou FS.

Looking at the SUN MTX
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=117

is it 179.95 for BOTH front and rear??? handbuilt..that seems too good to be true???

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Whats the feeling towards the sponser of this forum Bicycle Wheel Wherehouse. Good Product Good Price. Maybe ill get a set, put them on my stumpy andmove the stumpy wheels over to the Mantiou FS.

Looking at the SUN MTX
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=117

is it 179.95 for BOTH front and rear??? handbuilt..that seems too good to be true???
    BWW builds VERY good wheels at great prices.

The MTX wheelset is extremely burly compared to the first two you were considering. FR/DH vs XC
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I can tell firsthand BBW sells a very good product

I bought a Sun Singletrack wheelset with Shimano 756 hubs last year for 120.00 shipped

the wheels are still running strong and bulletproof...and I haven't needed to true them yet

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Im a beginer rider but im a bit ballsy. I forsee myself eating dirt quite a few times.Will probably need a burly wheel that can put up with my mistakes. lol.

this new hobby is hurting my wallet. Bball was so cheap..all i needed was shorts and shoes every few months.. but i busted my knee, ..started biking as a method of rehab on a Bridgetsone Carmel. buddy took me trail riding, another took me road biking.. i love both. lol..

mtbr member
    return the terramax and get the much much much better xenduro.

the xenduro wheels really are very good. not sure why they havent caught on yet. you might not care about weight, but it counts. xenduros are 1900 grams for the set and very durable. thats significantly lighter than most starter wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They are double the price of the 69.99 Terramax wheels for 1.. I might as well go with the BWW at that price..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    return the terramax and get the much much much better xenduro.

the xenduro wheels really are very good. not sure why they havent caught on yet. you might not care about weight, but it counts. xenduros are 1900 grams for the set and very durable. thats significantly lighter than most starter wheelsets.
    i have half a dozen rides on a new set of xenduros and they seem pretty good especially for 220$ new, way better than the rhynolites i had. Climbing is faster with the lighter wheels

mtbr member
    They are double the price of the 69.99 Terramax wheels for 1.. I might as well go with the BWW at that price..
    bww has nothing even close in quality for the price.

with the 20% off coupon, the xenduros become real cheap! i had to retension mine, but it was the easiest wheel ive ever worked on. had it dead even in about 5 or 10 minutes.

fwiw, i only got the front wheel.. if my rear dies anytime, im getting the rear xenduro too.