Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Forte Pisgah from performance?

I'm looking for another high volume trail bike tire for use in well, Pisgah actually. I came across these
    Looks like the tread borrows lug designs from the panaracer fire and the nevegal among others. Maybe a rebadged CST product? The volume and weight look ok too. I doubt the compound is anything special but can't complain for the price.

I've only found one person using these on the forums and they seem to like them (hope he doesn't mind me using his pic). Does anyone else know anything about these? I'd love to run a tire named after my favorite place to ride!

By the way, I am currently running Minion 2.35's which I like but are way to small. (more like a smaller 2.1). I think the 2.5's might be a bit much for extended climbing. Other ties on my list include...
    1.Panaracer Rampage 2.35
    2. WTB Bronson 2.3
    3. Tioga Psycho Genius
    4. Maxxis Ardent

I've gone the Nevegal route, looking for something different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here's a pic from the AM picture thread: http://www.fototime.com/B5E8A54D026CDF0/orig.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I only have two rides on them in dry hardpack conditions, but so far I have no complaints especially at $19. I'm running it up front with a wtb wolverine in the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was wondering about these too. I saw them in the roswell, ga store and I could have sworn that they were folded up. However website says wire bead only.... Maybe they were folded up wire beads?

I love nevegals and these look very close. Are they available in 2.3? Website only offers 2.1... The pic in the AM thread shows 2.3.

I bet there are more options on this tire than the website is showing at this time.

If anyone posts reviews, breifly mention what type terrain and where your located. I would really be interested if anyone is running them as ghetto tubeless (GT). Can you even run wired beads as GT setup?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I saw them too

I saw them folded in the Indianapolis store and there were multiple size options. I would agree that the website is not up to date. I would like to hear how they are doing for people riding the midwest terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They do have 2.3's on the site and I know for certain those are folding.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1101178_-1___

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm seriously contemplating these out of sheer curiosity. They're down to $19.99 ea. which means they're less than half of what I usually spend on tires.

They look like they'd be decent in intermediated conditions. The volume looks good and the weight is on par with the competition. The tread pattern looks fine, they're probably made from a cheap 60a compound but it can't be too bad.

If I end up getting them, I'll make a full report.

mtbr member
    I have one on the rear of my One, it's a 2.3 folding, got it at a store in DC. Like everyone else I was curious, and for $20 figured it was worth a shot. There definately are folding and 2.3 versions; that's all I saw in fact.

I think they listed the weight at 750g, and... I don't remember the exact number, but I weighed mine pretty close. On a Charger Pro rim, the width of the knobs is 2.35, casing is 2.23, according to my calipers. They claim to be 60a... I actually have access to a durometer at work, but never measured... maybe I should.

I don't have that many rides on it yet, but initial impressions, as a rear tire: traction is pretty good, I never broke it free from torque on loose climbing, cornering, I have no complaints, and it held surprisingly well on diagonal logs (where the rear wants to slide rather than roll over).
    There is a lot of rolling resistance though. You know that nevegal "are my brakes dragging?" feeling when climbing or going kind of slow? That's this tire. I guess that's kind of the price you pay for a traction sometimes.

I haven't gotten them particularly wet yet, so can't comment on mud-clearing. That's one major beef I have with Nevegals and Rampages, is if you get them wet, at all, they become basically a really heavy slick tire.
    Anyway, I'm sure Performance didn't design their own tire, so these probably are a re-badged something else. For $20 I'm happy with it, but I don't think I'd pay much more than that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I converted my trek SU200 that had "city tires" on it to these monsters. Was at performance looking for something meaty and decent in price. Plus they were call Pisgah. hey an added plus. Anyway, they have extremely high rolling resistance on pavement, but pretty much will grip anything loose or slippery on the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My good friend that ride with me just got them at performance in 2.3 and replace them with the navegal that he use to ride for a very long time he claim they have a good Traction and they rolling resistance is good. my brother got them as well he ride the tire in the front and loves it. And I just got the a new tioga Psyco as a rear tire and I love it excellent tire very fast,low rr and great grip a way better then the Nubby nic I just had And the navagal as well. I don't need to look for a rear tire any more this tire make the challenge trails much more fun to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am running these bad boys on a single speed rigid 26" and they have a decent amount of volume for chatter absorption and grip nicely on the eastern woods single track I ride.

mtbr member
    yep 60A compound, wife just gave me a set of these for christmas. I rode them today. Mud shed is pretty good, grip is wonderful on the leaf covered private twisty steep singletrack trail here at the farm. The biggest thing I noticed is that the overall diameter of the 26" wheel expanded about a 1/4 + inches. Usually when I ride a 2.3, the tire width is wider not the actual height of the tire. This sorta fits with the bigger wheel trend that has come up in the past 5 years. My Giant Trance really fit well with this folding tire. I'm surprised.
    You can do a lot in a lifetime, If you don't burn out too fast...First you need endurance, First you've got to last...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Good Tires

A friend turned me onto the Pisgah Forte tires and they perform well. I run a Pisgah 2.3 in the front and a Panaracer 2.1 in the rear. I ride 3 times a week on a variety of single track, fire road and rock gardens. No complaints. When I can get them for $20, I stock up! They are similar in tread pattern to the Kenda Nevegal.

better than I deserve
    I bought one a couple weeks ago for the rear of a bike I am now giving away but not a bad tire for $15 bucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bringing this thread back to life...

I ride a Pisgah up front and the Dartmoor in back, the Dartmoor being the Schwalbe Furious Fred copy with a slick center and knobbed sides.

I am so thoroughly impressed with these "budget" tires, I am going to race this set-up at Sea Otter. I use the 2.3 Pisgah up front and the 2.0 Dartmoor, and I have not found a trail condition (except for wet clay) where this tire combo didn't work.

I figured that a major company (I suspect Kenda) is manufacturing these and Performance is just slapping their name on them. I never was a fan of the wire bead Forte' MTB tires (their city tires are good), but these folding tires are up to par with any of the high end tires available for twice the cost.

LightJunction.com
    Performance developed those tires themselves. They work pretty well for what it's worth, especially for the price.

That said, I run Bronsons. I've ridden all over Pisgah on these tires and they handled it like a champ. Solid grip and they're durable enough to handle all those rocks.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    great thread, more experiences?

mtbr member
    I picked one up to replace a blown out rampage sc.

Its big, its got good volume, but its pretty stiff. On dirt its pretty good! Really predictable, corners well, doesnt slip or do anything sketchy. You kinda forget its there and just ride, which is nice. It also sheds mud pretty well. It feels like a low volume tire though.

On rocks, again its pretty stiff. It doesnt conform to the rocks well at all, and sort of bounces off them. I had to run it really low on pressure to get acceptable grip. I tried 23-28psi, but they just dont feel at home on rocks. My trails only have a few patches of really rocky area, so it was tolerable.

All in all, the rampage sc did everything better (its really a great underrated tire). The pishgah isnt bad, and it'll stay on the bike since it does work so well on dirt... but I probably wont be rushing out to buy another one.

As a 19 buck tire, you really couldnt ask for more. Compared to everything else out there, it falls about in the middle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Oh, I do want to add that I ride a rigid fork up front, aluminum that is, on rocks.

I will give an update after laying down a few rides with a 100mm XC suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The tire comes in both wire bead and folding.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Another update.. the trails were dry this time, and the tire was just great. Did well in the rocks and roots too. It does roll quite slow, but its very well behaved when its dry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Forte' Pisgah

These tires are great! I find they work best as a front tire, but I just recently bought another for the back and the rolling resistance is still very good. 2.3" on the front and back. An employee at PerformanceBike was telling me that these are made by Panaracer using Performance Bike's specifications. You can buy these as a 2.1" Wire Bead or a 2.3" folding tire and the 2.3" as a softer rubber. I definitely recommend these tires if you're looking for an effective and cheap.

mini clyde
    I was able to set up both versions tubeless on Mavic 819 rims. Sealed up in a couple of minutes with Stan's sealant. I used a compressor on both ... the Kevlar-beaded one probably would have seated with a pump, the wire-bead one needed soapy water on the beads and some fiddling to seat.

Think I'll go ride in Pisgah tomorrow ...

Big Gulps, Alright!
    FWIW, I've had a couple of these set up tubeless, and they didn't work well. Not a very tight fit, and on more than one occasion they lost all pressure overnight. Also found them tough to seal up and that they weeped through the sidewalls quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I love em and were super easy to set up ghetto tubeless. 2.35's, folding, with the 60A durometer stamp on the side wall, mounted on a 24mm rim. They sealed right away and hold air well. Oh yeah, good tire on the trail even though it might roll a lil bit slow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast