mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Forte Loco - 20mm front wheel

Performance has these front wheels pretty cheap at 79.95. Is this a decent rim/hub combo? I'd like to convert to a 20mm but don't wanta break the bank. They had one at a local PB and it seems pretty solid. Smooth bearings, wide rim and you can take off those Loco stickers.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5310

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    no experience with them..but looks pretty decently priced...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, I'm gonna TOFTT since no one has any experience with 'em. $86 shipped to my local PB. Now I need a new fork ... yeah, baby!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    post some pics when you get it

Phil from San Diego
    I've been running a set for about an year except they were branded under the old Supergo store and called "Launch FR". They are also polished silver instead black. (see my profile pic)

I weight 200lb, 215 with gear.. I'm an aggressive all mountain type rider and just recently put those wheels through 80miles of punishment at Mammoth mountain bike park.

Never had an issue with them and they are still perfectly true. I haven't had to tension them in a year either.

I actually just also bought a set of the Locos yesterday since they were on sale @ $180 for the pair + 10% off (Tuesday lunch sale) + 10% off with Performance membership. Pretty good deal I'd say.

Going to try making them tubless with Stans kit using 2.5 Kenda Nevegals wire beads... I don't know if it'll work but I'll also TOFTT and report back. =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    After hearing Prexus' experience with these wheels, I went back over to PB site to possibly buy one of the rear's as well so that my wheels would match but the price has been bumped now from $75 to $95 for the front wheel and the rear is now $109. Oh well, I guess my wheels won't match - I'll get over it (seeing as my current rear is a King hub on a Velocity rim).

Phil from San Diego
    Their ad/mailer just came out and it has the locos listed for $85 front and $95 rear. So the store should honor those prices if you ask.

Just tried to make them tubeless with Stans.. I can't inflate the tire.. going to try taking out the core of the valve and try again before giving up. =) Time to make a stop to the local autopart store for the core removal thingy.

Phil.

Phil from San Diego
    woohoo! my Performance locos with Kenda Nevegals 2.5 wire beads are now tubeless using Stans Notube system! =)

It took a bit of work though.. a quick call to Stans.com, a trip to HomeDepot for weather striping, 3 trips to Sears for air compressors (both burnt up within 10min of use), and 2 trips to HomeDepot for a 1.5gal Husky compressor (first one had a bad hose!)... lol.

But once I got a working compressor, it was cake getting the tires inflated and stay inflated. Stans worked FAST and there was barely any leaks at all.

Will see what happens tomorrow. Now I'm going to also conver the wheels on my hard tail and probably my other set of SupergGo Launch FR with Kenda 2.35 kevlar beads.

Whew, what a day.. I can't believe both Sears Craftsman air compressors burnt up like that.. weird.

Phil.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    OK, I got this wheel mounted up with a 2.4 Big Betty and my new 07 Z1RC2 fork. Did a few local rides (not much more than some small rockgardens, no drops) and also one epic in Tahoe consisting of Toad's and another trail called 'Corral', I think? That was one helluva fun ride lots of technical sections, did some drops, log rides, stairs etc.
    The wheel is still true-blue. Rolls perfect. I'm gonna give it 5 flaming chilis in the review section. Here's an image of it, doesn't look bad once your remove those 'Loco' stickers.

Ken