mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Fork-hub stiffness (std QR, 19mm vs OS 28mm)

I recently came across a study (made by Specialized) regarding wheel stiffness and hub attachments, where it shows that a Specialized fork equipped with std QR, using 28 mm end caps is 28.6 % stiffer than the a Talas using standard QR, 19 mm caps !! Of course, that study was made for 29ers, but I guess the same principle can apply for the 26 as well ? (with a smaller impact I guess)

If this is true, that's a huge difference in stiffness, and because I'm using a fork that is compatible with wheels using OS 28mm end caps, I was reluctant to switch my set of wheels by one equipped with std 19 mm hub. What do you think ? Should I make the switch (say, for Easton wheels), or stick with Roval ?

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/02/...and-interview/

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by whtdel
    I recently came across a study (made by Specialized) regarding wheel stiffness and hub attachments, where it shows that a Specialized fork equipped with std QR, using 28 mm end caps is 28.6 % stiffer than the a Talas using standard QR, 19 mm caps !! Of course, that study was made for 29ers, but I guess the same principle can apply for the 26 as well ? (with a smaller impact I guess)

If this is true, that's a huge difference in stiffness, and because I'm using a fork that is compatible with wheels using OS 28mm end caps, I was reluctant to switch my set of wheels by one equipped with std 19 mm hub. What do you think ? Should I make the switch (say, for Easton wheels), or stick with Roval ?

Where's the study? I'd be interested to see it.
    Percentage change reporting is notoriously difficult to interpret... and without knowing much about the measurement of stiffness they used, it's impossible to say whether the difference is appreciable or not. After it's all said and done, the only thing that matters is how it feels to you when you're riding it, which unfortunately there is no way to predict. If you spend a bunch of money on a new wheelset at least you're more likely view the change favorably. Kinda kidding there but not really.
    Sorry not to be of more help, maybe there's a way you can demo the set-up to see if you like it or not. IMO that's the best (only?) way to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by whtdel

This has been known for 20 years. In 1991-2 you could buy oversized locknuts for your hub to stiffen the sussy forks of the day, and they worked.

Any time you increase the size of the base, you get a more stable structure.

I have had a couple of hubs from British brand that has 25mm diameter end caps, and it does make a difference. More so than a bolt-on skewer.

Worth replacing the wheel for it? Not to me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

The Cheater
    I know your dilemma... Rovals have the endcaps that are claimed to be stiffer, that I felt to be stiffer on my Control EL but their hubs aren't as free rolling as the EA90 XC's, nor the craftmanship and attention to detail is anywhere close to the eastons. In the end if you can't go wrong with either one. The Rovals have 24/28 endcaps, DTSwiss spokes + 240 hubs, and lighter by 100gr, can use thruaxle or standard QR, but the hubs have more drag. My advise, get whichever one is cheaper. I know I'm happy I got both.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

28 mm end caps

I am still looking for 28 mm end caps to put on my crossmax wheelset if anybody know where to get a set of end caps that would fit a crossmax wheelset please let me know.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pecker head
    I am still looking for 28 mm end caps to put on my crossmax wheelset if anybody know where to get a set of end caps that would fit a crossmax wheelset please let me know.
    The only ones I have seen were custom machined.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common