Thread: Flows vs Arches

mtbr member
    May 2006

Flows vs Arches

Hi all
    I posted this in the 29er forum as well. Thought I'd see if anyone had any other insight as well.
    I have a carbon tallboy. Primarily trail/xc/all mountain type riding. Not into racing. What would you choose. Stan's arch or flow? These would be laced to existing dt Swiss 350 hubs. This would be to replace stock mavic tn719 rims that came with bike. Or is it a waste to replace the mavics?
    I'm looking for that right mix of weight and durability and control Will I notice much real world difference climbing or descending with either choice?
    Thanks!

g3h6o3
    It's really a tradeoff of weight vs. width between the Flow & Arch. I would tend to say that on a 29er, given people run smaller tires and the contact patch is longer, the Arch would be the best match.

As for the value of switching from the 719, it's a minimal weight saving (under 100g in rims) and you get "tubeless compatibility" with Stan's rims. I'm putting tubeless compatibility in quotes because the system has its quirks.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Honestly you would probably be happy with either. Both build a solid wheel. I tend to disagree with PissedOffCil about tire width. I see most 29er people gravitating towards wider rims/tires, especially for the type of riding you describe. IMO, a wider rim is always better, so I would give my nod to the Flows.

Unless you are desperately in need of these wheels now, you could wait until the Arch EXs come out and get the best of both worlds: lighter and wider than the current Arches, but still supposedly as strong. They would make a damn fine all around whee with the 350s.
    Brought to you by rocks.

g3h6o3
    I might be wrong (or outdated) about tire width for 29ers... At least for grip, wider tires shouldn't be required on 29ers (as mentionned because of the longer contact patch) but they might like a wider tire for comfort or flat prevention, I don't really know.

Basically, my point remains. If you run thinner tires and want to save weight, go with the Arch.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks guys
    based on what I have read to date, I think i'm going to hold off until spring and then will get a set of the new Arch EX's which will be both lighter and wider!
    thanks!

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    I might be wrong (or outdated) about tire width for 29ers... At least for grip, wider tires shouldn't be required on 29ers (as mentionned because of the longer contact patch) but they might like a wider tire for comfort or flat prevention, I don't really know.
    That is true. I see the trend all over (for both 26 and 29) heading towards wider, lighter tires. There's even some data from a German lab that says wider tires have lower rolling resistance (can't put my finger on it right now, but a forum search should find it). Wider rims, like the Flow and Crest, will also make narrower tires feel wider, adding to the comfort of the tire. I see no reason to stay with narrow rims.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm in the wider is always better camp. That's why these would be my first choice.

Pacenti Unveils 28mm Tubeless Mountain Bike Rim for 26″, 650B and 29er - Bike Rumor

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I'm in the wider is always better camp. That's why these would be my first choice.

Pacenti Unveils 28mm Tubeless Mountain Bike Rim for 26″, 650B and 29er - Bike Rumor
    I was thinking the same thing, should be available next month

BikeLugs.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The stock wheels are not bad. Pretty strong and stiff, and about 1900 grams. If you go with Flow rims the weight will be essentially the same but you'll get a wider rim. With Arches you'll save a little weight. Each has slight advantages over the stock TN719 rims, but not enough to be worth the cost, IMO.

You didn't say how much you weigh. I weigh about 155 and when I got my Tallboy I considered selling the stock wheels and getting something lighter like Crests. But then I decided that the stock wheels would make a good set of sturdy stiff wheels that I could ride hard and bash through rock gardens without worrying about them. (Plus, I already have a set of Crest wheels that I can use for racing.) The extra stiffness over the Crests can be felt, and the extra weight isn't that noticeable.

As far as tubeless setup, the TN719 rims accept Stan's tape and valves just fine. I have mine set up tubeless with WTB Bronson tires.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I have a Flow + Hope Evo wheelset and have considered switching to the 719 recently. The Flows just don't feel stiff enough to me and as a clyde (205lb) I miss having eyelets in my rims. I can't say the Flow is bad. Maybe it just didn't live up to all the hype surrounding it.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    + flows

banned
    Sep 2007
    Flows for Clydes.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Flows x3 (as in I own 3 pairs)

mtbr member
    Necrobump...

I have the same Arch vs. Flow question for a 2012 Tallboy AL... I have a couple of trusted friends who recommend the Flows... since wider = lower pressure and more grip. However, am i able to fully realize the benefit on this bike? I'm not sure what the max tire I can run is; SantaCruz says 2.35.

Arch MK3 Flow MK3
    ID 26.0mm 29mm
    ED 29.3mm 32.3mm
    depth 16.0mm 17.6mm
    tires 2.25”-2.50” 2.35”-2.80”
    weight 453 527

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a 2014 carbon Tallboy 2 and I have a set of Stan's Arch rims with DT240 hubs. I really like them. I weigh 205 pounds and run a 2.4 Ardent on the front and a 2.35 Ikon on the rear. Very happy with this wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis Prince View Post
    I have a 2014 carbon Tallboy 2 and I have a set of Stan's Arch rims with DT240 hubs. I really like them. I weigh 205 pounds and run a 2.4 Ardent on the front and a 2.35 Ikon on the rear. Very happy with this wheelset.
    Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that geared up, im 170 lbs so i dont neccesarily need the stronger of the two. Oh and give the forecaster 2.3 a try on the front. You will loose some volume compared to the Ardent 2.4 but it is much more stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ok thanks! I'm searching for a new set of tires. I want something lighter and faster rolling and more grip, and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of reliability/puncture protection.
    For the $, I think you really can't beat Stan's new wheel offerings. And soon they'll have 3 more rims to choose from that's even wider than the Flow's.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The Arch Mk3 is about the same width as the old Flow EX (25mm)
    An Arch EX is 21mm.

If you can only fit a 2.35 on the rear, then there's no real advantage going past 25mm wide for the rim, especially for a rear with 100mm of travel.
    On the front, even with a 2.35 tyre, a wider rim will give a little more support and with the tapered headset allowing the use of some nice stiff forks, would future proof it a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonabyke View Post
    Flows for Clydes.

+1 if your a Clyde these will stand up to a pounding.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use a 30mm inner rim on the back for a 2.2 tire. The tire profile is very rounded and the carcass is high volume. It works great. The sidewalls are 120tpi. So light and flexible. the wide rim gives better support than 25 or skinnier. That means I can run lower psi for better climbing and cornering because of the bigger footprint at low pressures. I wouldn't use less than 30 for a rear and 35 for a front. WTB has good asym rims. Sapim Laser spokes from Dans Comp are 0.95ea in black.