mtbr member
    Oct 2008

First wheelset Mavic 719 / DT Onyx Disc?

I知 Looking to pickup my first wheelset around the $250-350 range, I知 6foot 175lbs I ride NY single track 2-3 a week

I was looking at this from BWW
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=75

And the Easton XC One currently from pricepoint

any input is greatly appreciated

I can't weld
    I've been using a set of Mavic rims on DT Onyx hubs with the regular 5mm QRs for well over a year. Came off an upper-end Specialized. I've been happy, but I only paid $125. Wheelset weight is ~1800g. Not the lightest, but no problems with durability. I've got 30lbs on you riding rocky singletrack on a hardtail.

After looking at the One's, I'd strongly consider those. The Pricepoint page isn't working, so they may be out. $340 is a killer price for those.

This guy has a set for sale you might keep an eye on:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Easton-XC-One-Mo...t_14191wt_1006
    Last edited by Indiefab; 02-16-2009 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Check out the Hope Hoops wheels available from Wiggle.com for $300 shipped. You get Hope Pro 2 hubs on Mavic 717 rims laced with DT Swiss Comp spokes lovingly built by Hope. I got the next step up about a month ago for $425 shipped these are the Hope Pro 3 straight pull hubs with super comp spokes at 1620 grams, so far I am very impressed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jam23
    I知 Looking to pickup my first wheelset around the $250-350 range, I知 6foot 175lbs I ride NY single track 2-3 a week

I was looking at this from BWW
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=75

And the Easton XC One currently from pricepoint

any input is greatly appreciated
    My bike came with DT Swiss Cerit hubs, which are the Onyx design. In theory, the hubs are rebuildable, but in practice the bearings are expensive. The rear hub wore out for me in a year and a half with bearings and cassette needing replacement. (I weight 195 pounds and ride rocky trails, so your mileage may vary.) The first sign that the hub had problems was that the rear quick release kept losing its grip. The next sign was of course that big knock in the bearing.

I'm pretty sure that the Onyx hubs are now obsolete. The bike shop that was finally able to rebuild these was a Trek shop, because this hub design is also used in older Bontrager wheels.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think now im leaning towards the Mavic717 over the 719 since the biggest tire I would run is 2.1