Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

First wheel build: spoke issues.

Used the online calculator from prowheel builder. And with there preset hope hub infor and the erd from my inferno 25s its calling for 293mm disc side and 293.6 drive side.

Measured my formula hub and even though the one flange is much larger the the hope I come out with 293 disc and 292.5 drive.

After trying once I was haveing a problem with some being tight and sime super loose. I am assuming I messed up on the lacing so i tore it all down again and noticed the spokes were the same size left and right. (Made sure not mix them up)

The spokes measure out to 293. As I said some spokes come through the nipple alot and otheres I cant bury the threads. This to me seems like a me issue. I am just following a youtube video from "bike tube". Seemed easy enough but i may have got my first spoke off. It looked right as per the video but im still new.

Any thoughts on my screw up. I really want to get this going hut worst case I will drop it off at the lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A difference of size such as that isn't ideal, but it should still work. I should think that some of that information may be incorrect, be it the ERD, or the hub dimensions. What are you using to measure the hub?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The hope measurments were a preset. Although i did verify the flange diameter but not the flange offset. They appear diferent from the formula hub.

I am using a caliper to measure the formula hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The sapim calc is calling for 295 both sides. But that is if i have the rim thickness correct
    With the forumla hub input it calls for 295disc and 296 drive.

Farely consistant difference.

A wheelist
    Use measurements provided by others at your risk. Measure everything yourself.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    When lacing wheels there have been many times when the spokes seemed all wrong and uneven until the whole wheel was laced and everything had settled into place. My experience anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wondered if it would fix it self but the ones that were long , were super long. The spoke came through the nipple and it was still loose.

This is the video I have been using. Lacing a Rear 32 Spoke Wheel, 3 Cross | How to Build a Bicycle Wheel - YouTube

My thought is im getting the first spoke on the disc side wrong. Pretty sure the drive side was correct. If that video is correct, it looks hard to mess up
    Last edited by machine4321; 11-07-2012 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I would try reversing your first spoke on the disc side from in to out, or out to in (opposite of the way you have it now) and then filling in the rest accordingly. I'm pretty sure I've run into this problem myself and that fixed it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just out of curiosity, are you lacing the whole wheel before you screw the nipples all the way down? Are you making sure that you are lacing correctly? With 3 cross, the first of the three crosses is not very obvious at all, and occurs underneath the hub flange.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The first go I wasnt keeping track of how far the nipples were screwed on. As for the 3x, following the video it seemed pretty straight forward. It also looked like my front wheel.

Even with both sides done it "looked" right, but i was worried that the last spokes I crossed (video said under under over) they seemed way to long. Spokes were several mm past the nipples and still floppig around.

I dont recall if the drive side was doing the same. But some of the spokes were getting tight and still showin threads out the bottom of the nipple.

If I remeber the parrellel spokes were really tight and the cross spokes were loose. Cant be 100% untill I get home to try again.

Is the video I posted correct? There was a post from 2010 that had the same issue with the vid I posted.
    Building my first wheel. Every other two spokes super loose.

Thanks again for the help.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    The first go I wasnt keeping track of how far the nipples were screwed on. As for the 3x, following the video it seemed pretty straight forward. It also looked like my front wheel.

Even with both sides done it "looked" right, but i was worried that the last spokes I crossed (video said under under over) they seemed way to long. Spokes were several mm past the nipples and still floppig around.

I dont recall if the drive side was doing the same. But some of the spokes were getting tight and still showin threads out the bottom of the nipple.

If I remeber the parrellel spokes were really tight and the cross spokes were loose. Cant be 100% untill I get home to try again.

Is the video I posted correct? There was a post from 2010 that had the same issue with the vid I posted.
    Building my first wheel. Every other two spokes super loose.

Thanks again for the help.
    Will bet you dropped the first spoke on the second flange to the wrong side. Common mistake.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Will bet you dropped the first spoke on the second flange to the wrong side. Common mistake.
    My money's on this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cool. I like solutions .

The video said to follow the spoke that runs parallel to the valve hole. Then take the one to the opposit side.

Should that e an innie or outtie that I should start with. I thought I followed the 2nd video properly.

Thanks again.

transmitter~receiver
    Cool. I like solutions .

The video said to follow the spoke that runs parallel to the valve hole. Then take the one to the opposit side.

Should that e an innie or outtie that I should start with. I thought I followed the 2nd video properly.

Thanks again.
    The holes on each side of the hub are offset. You can see it if you look through the holes on one side. The opposite-flange spoke needs to be on the same side of the first spoke at both the rim and hub. What's likely is that you crossed it.
    The spoke we're talking about should be head out (running on the inside of the flange)... not sure what you mean by "innie or outtie." The reason is that if you do it head in, you will have to push the next set through towards the hub, and the more spokes you have in, the harder it will be due to interference (you'll see what I mean very quickly if you do it that way). Whichever way you want to lace (makes no difference), you should do all the heads out spokes first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    All back together. But every 2 spokes are past the nipples.

Goes 2 sticking out and 2 are under(tight to get threads not to show but not crazy). That patter is all the way around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im dropping it off at the lbs to have it trued as I dont have the tools. Its tightened up a bit but still pretty wobbley.

A wheelist
    Try this and do it exactly -

Have one end of the hub facing you.
    Pick a heads-out spoke that radiates to the right in the flange closest to you. That's Spoke 1.
    Sight right across the hub.
    Pick the spoke across and just to the left of Spoke 1 and that also radiates to the right.
    It should enter the rim just one hole to the left of Spoke 1.

If it doesn't, you screwed up.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

transmitter~receiver
    All back together. But every 2 spokes are past the nipples.

Goes 2 sticking out and 2 are under(tight to get threads not to show but not crazy). That patter is all the way around.
    shiggy was right.
    it's laced wrong.
    if my post didn't make sense to you, I'll post a photo in a bit (wife wants to go eat).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    son of a.......

I followed that dam video to a tee. Started from scratch after work. The drive side goes to gether really well.

Has anyone looked at the vid I posted? It is in 2 parts, first is drive then non drive. just curious if its me or the video

Thanks again for all the help. Lbs will only charge 25 bucks to build it but I really want to figure this out. I dont like being defeated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    shiggy was right.
    it's laced wrong.
    if my post didn't make sense to you, I'll post a photo in a bit (wife wants to go eat).
    I would love a pic. Still learning the lingo so it doesnt always make sence when I read.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Try this and do it exactly -

Have one end of the hub facing you.
    Pick a heads-out spoke that radiates to the right in the flange closest to you. That's Spoke 1.
    Sight right across the hub.
    Pick the spoke across and just to the left of Spoke 1 and that also radiates to the right.
    It should enter the rim just one hole to the left of Spoke 1.

If it doesn't, you screwed up.
    Is this starting from the start or just non drive side ?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I would love a pic. Still learning the lingo so it doesnt always make sence when I read.
    Quick and dirty diagram.
    Let's call the red line the key spoke and is in the "bottom" hub flange.

The blue line (spoke #1 in Mike T.'s explaination) is in the top flange, in the hole just to the right of the "key" and the rim hole just to the right. This is the correct position.

The purple line (spoke) was dropped to the left (wrong) side of the "key" and crosses the "key" on the way to the correct rim hole, making it "longer".
    Name:  lacing.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  38.5 KB
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You can buy Roger Musson's e-book on wheelpro.co.uk. It has step by step instructions and is pretty much fool proof
    I followed the instructions and built up my first set of wheels no problems

A wheelist
    Is this starting from the start or just non drive side ?
    Any side. Any place. Just pick a heads-out spoke radiating right. I can see one in your pic.

transmitter~receiver
    shiggy's diagram is pretty good. i marked up your photo so you could see it on your actual wheel.
    spoke 2 has to be on the same side of spoke 1 at the rim and hub. looking at your wheel here, it's counterclockwise from spoke 1 at the rim. that means it has to be counterclockwise at the hub, but as you can see, it's not.
    the fix is to move spoke 2 from the hole it's in at the hub to the one that is counterclockwise from spoke 1, as the arrow indicates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First wheel build: spoke issues.-lacing-fix.jpg  

Last edited by meltingfeather; 11-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast