Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Has anyone looked at the vid I posted? It is in 2 parts, first is drive then non drive. just curious if its me or the video
    That dood is a dingbat.
    Notice that he does all the spokes on one side of the hub first. That makes doing the other side about 10x harder. Notice in the non-drive-side video (this one) how hard it is for him to get the spokes in, because he has spokes going both ways on the drive side already. The whole bit around 1:00 where he explains how he has to put the spokes in perfectly right could be avoided if he did the "innies" on both sides of the hub first. Poor form.
    He doesn't even address the issue you have... even though it's a critical step... as you found out. He did not explain why he picked the holes he put the "innies" in and not the others (he could have put them one over from where he did... like you did).
    I'd avoid those vids in the future. You're not the first to be confused by them. I'm sure he meant well and it probably speaks to some people, but the execution is sorely lacking and if you don't understand the issue you ran into (you probably wouldn't have a reason to watch the video if you did), you have a 50/50 shot of ending up with a wheel like yours.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 11-07-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

A wheelist
    son of a.......

I followed that dam video to a tee. Started from scratch after work. The drive side goes to gether really well.

Has anyone looked at the vid I posted? It is in 2 parts, first is drive then non drive. just curious if its me or the video

Thanks again for all the help. Lbs will only charge 25 bucks to build it but I really want to figure this out. I dont like being defeated.
    Here, lemme help ya. If you had read my site you would have seen, in my links, a mention of Roger Musson's fine wheelbuilding e-book. You should have bought & downloaded it and you wouldn't be having this problem now. Or if you had gone to my other link - Sheldon Brown's freebie - same result. But no matter - look at Roger's wordless video -

Wheelbuilding : Lacing a Bicycle Wheel on Vimeo

And buy Roger's e-book.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks again guys. Mike I did read your page but it was laye and I was already feelig pretty defeated. I ended up skimming and not seeig a clear diagram for me to follow. I was being lazy and went to bed .

I did read sheldons all the way through and I feel much more comfortable.

On a side mote I just tore it down again and to my not so suprise the trailing spoke on the non drive were going the opposite to the trailing on the drive side.

Im goig to try one more tome using the pics you guys made for me and sheldons site.

If I can clear one thing up, I was starting my key spoke to the left of the valve hole. Sheldon is saying that I should start to the right. If i have a rim that is drilled for left and right I should start the 2nd hole from the valve hole if it matches the proper flange?

If I ever meet the guy in the vid im going to poke him in the eye with a spoke

A wheelist
    the trailing spoke on the non drive were going the opposite to the trailing on the drive side.
    Ahh that might do it.

If I can clear one thing up, I was starting my key spoke to the left of the valve hole. Sheldon is saying that I should start to the right. If i have a rim that is drilled for left and right I should start the 2nd hole from the valve hole if it matches the proper flange?
    Choose one source and put your trust in it. Follow it to the letter. The best sources we know of are in the Stickie at the top of this forum. I'd truly suggest Roger Musson's e-book but Sheldon's will work.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

transmitter~receiver
    It doesn't make a difference which way you start, but it might be easier to follow Sheldon's instructions if you do it the same way. You should start at the second hole from the valve hole if it matches that flange. What you do in that case is, when you put in the second set of spokes (parallel spokes on the opposite flange), fill in the gap between the key spoke and the valve hole... and make sure the spoke is on the correct side of the key spoke at the hub as well. in shiggy's diagram, that would mean that the blue spoke is the key spoke and the red spoke is the first spoke in the second set.
    Sheldon explains it both ways.
    If I ever meet the guy in the vid im going to poke him in the eye with a spoke
    lol
    I left a comment on his vid. You're not the first person we've helped that watched those videos and ended up with a whack wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I saw your comment . It was nicer then what I tried to post. There was an error and it would not left me probably good or I would have come across as one of those youtube haterzzzzz!!

I will update in a bit, drive side trailing is in

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Choose one source and put your trust in it. Follow it to the letter...
    Agreed, and the same goes for spoke length calculators. Find what works for you and stick with it. Multiple sources just confuses things rather than clarifying.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

transmitter~receiver
    I saw your comment . It was nicer then what I tried to post. There was an error and it would not left me probably good or I would have come across as one of those youtube haterzzzzz!!

I will update in a bit, drive side trailing is in
    I rewatched the video and I think he actually does address the issue... just in a bass ackwards way. When he starts putting in the "innies" he says do it at the point that allows you to put them in (not where you end up in a triangle on the other side), which I guess works out, but I'm not sure it always would, and it means you have to do that stupid, all-one-side-first lacing.
    whatevs... different strokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Better?

Looks like shiggys diagram and sheldons

transmitter~receiver
    Better?

Looks like shiggys diagram and sheldons
    Looks good so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Well no more spoke issues. They appear to be nice and even.

You guys rock!! I will even go on my desktop pc to rep
    Last edited by machine4321; 11-08-2012 at 05:25 PM.

transmitter~receiver
    Well no more spoke issues. They appear to be nice and even.
    Nice goin'

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Nice goin'
    Awe-sum!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had the wheel finished off at the lbs. I got it to about 90% by mu standards but there was a vertical dip that I wasnt comfortable messing with any more.

LBS said it was the best first build/true and dish they have seen. That made me feel pretty good considering I was ready to throw things last few days. They cleaned up a lot of stuff I couldnt. And they only charged me 10 bucks.

The hub didnt fix my want for more POE but it is so smooth compaired tonthe junk before. And the nosie isnt as loud as I thought it would be.

It sure does warn people walking up ahead. Gives them about a 30-50foot warning. Much better then having to switch gears so they hear me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2